Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Agreed. The guys who post under screen names, first names, and that includes some who post with a full name, but no doubt a fake one, are a problem on this board. They have nothing invested, and it's very easy to be rude, insult people and cause havoc when nobody knows who you are. These guys contribute little, provide no proof that they actually build models... in short, contribute nothing. And the scary part for me is that some of them are knowledgeable about kits and hobby history which means they are people we may know in real life and are snickering at us when they see us at shows.

And then there are a few who post under their real names and still are a nuisance.

There are a ton of folks, many valuable hobby guy and industry insiders who don't post on this board and have expressed that its because they don't want to deal with a certain element posting here. I get PMs on a regular basis from guys who write to support something I've said, but don't feel comfortable posting because they don't wish to be attacked.

And I had several very prominent people in the hobby approach me at NNL East and GSL to say thanks for defending the hobby on this board. Which tells me that there are very knowledgeable people reading this board but not making themselves visible.

And that's a crying shame. This board could be so much more!

Amen, and this thread just proved the point. Some do not even see what they do, or do not care.

"Europeans are guaranteed full time employment and benefits for life."

Who told you that fairytale?! Would that it were true. It's zero hours contacts, temporary jobs and unpaid internships for far too many people in the UK. If you're in the professions maybe you will be in full time employment but guaranteed? Nothing like. Even then they are middle class jobs. For working people (US term blue collar) hardly at all.

As for benefits, yes we have state pension and some other benefits (US term welfare) but they all have to paid for throughout one's working life. And our current government is cutting even these for the really poor and disabled.

At present we still, thank, have the National Health Service until the Tories sell that off too.

steve

Steve, you still have much more in the way of benefits and protection than anyone in the USA. I used to work for an Irish company with significant operations near London. I currently work in Ireland, Italy and France. The employment laws are stronger, benefits better and in Italy and France everyone gets 30 days vacation to start. It's tough to coordinate meetings etc because someone is always on vacation!

Where the company has outsourced a significant amount of their operations here in the US, the Euro governments have just told them "no" and they haven't been able to let employees go and hire another company to provide those services.

No doubt there are good and bad in every system.

Telephone scams! Especially the one where your own phone number appears on caller ID... :angry:

My Panasonic phone setup allows me to block up to 30 numbers. It's been full for months. Fortunately it's programmed so that calls that only show a number but not a name never even make it to the answering machine. I'm tired of dealing with those dorsal orifices.

Tom,

25-30 days holiday (vacation) is the norm in the UK. We also get 2 days at Easter and 3 Bank Holidays as they're called in England (Scotland is different for these) as public holidays. It's always amazed me how low US holiday allocations are.

As for unions, they're still needed and should go back to doing what they were created to do, defend the rights of working men and women. Too much was lost during the Thatcher/Reagan years.

steve

I keep the ringer off on my home phone (don't use it for anything except the alarm system), and my cell on vibrate, so I'm never bothered by nonsense calls. I just delete them from the voice mail log periodically..

When we moved to PA we realized that we already used our cells for everything and the only time the home phone rang was for some sales call. We wound up getting a phone for our alarm system and didn't even put a phone on it. When I was looking for a job I realized the number was "in the book" (although my cell was used by me exclusively) and feared someone may try to contact me, so I put an answering machine on it. Well that phone rings day and night with nothing but sales and other pest calls!

When we moved to PA we realized that we already used our cells for everything and the only time the home phone rang was for some sales call. We wound up getting a phone for our alarm system and didn't even put a phone on it. When I was looking for a job I realized the number was "in the book" (although my cell was used by me exclusively) and feared someone may try to contact me, so I put an answering machine on it. Well that phone rings day and night with nothing but sales and other pest calls!

We considered dropping the landline but it was a bigger concern for my mother in law than it was for us. Her concern was being able to call us in the middle of the night just in case she had an emergency. I can understand her point, however she doesn't understand the cell phone will acomplish the same thing.

Agreed. The guys who post under screen names, first names, and that includes some who post with a full name, but no doubt a fake one, are a problem on this board. They have nothing invested, and it's very easy to be rude, insult people and cause havoc when nobody knows who you are. These guys contribute little, provide no proof that they actually build models... in short, contribute nothing. And the scary part for me is that some of them are knowledgeable about kits and hobby history which means they are people we may know in real life and are snickering at us when they see us at shows.

And then there are a few who post under their real names and still are a nuisance.

There are a ton of folks, many valuable hobby guy and industry insiders who don't post on this board and have expressed that its because they don't want to deal with a certain element posting here. I get PMs on a regular basis from guys who write to support something I've said, but don't feel comfortable posting because they don't wish to be attacked.

And I had several very prominent people in the hobby approach me at NNL East and GSL to say thanks for defending the hobby on this board. Which tells me that there are very knowledgeable people reading this board but not making themselves visible.

And that's a crying shame. This board could be so much more!

Good grief....now there's some paranoid ideation for you! Get well soon Tom.

I dropped the land line a long time ago. If you have a cell phone, why do you also need a land line? Makes no sense to me.

I agree. In our case my mother in law "thinks" a cell phone gets shut off, where as the landline is "always on". In her mind the house phone is on stand by if you will.

internet access

security system

call home - people may be there who do not have a cell/ you don't know their number

My Internet access is via Uverse. Who still has dial-up land line phone internet access in 2015?

Home security system... ok, I can see that in some cases. But home security systems these days are accessed via smartphone app, not land line.

Call home? Everyone in my family has a cell phone. "Home" is their cell phone, wherever they are, either at home or otherwise.

Telemarketers? Take a few lessons from the master...

Here's one that would be very handy around Christmastime...

And the greatest act of trolling a telemarketer in history...

Nobody will ever be as good at messing with telemarketers as Mr. Mabe, but you can still have some fun with it. B)

My Internet access is via Uverse. Who still has dial-up land line phone internet access in 2015?

Home security system... ok, I can see that in some cases. But home security systems these days are accessed via smartphone app, not land line.

Call home? Everyone in my family has a cell phone. "Home" is their cell phone, wherever they are, either at home or otherwise.

so you're writhing around the kitchen floor, chicken bone stuck in your throat, and are willing to depend 911 can pinpoint your location by cell phone?

in time.

good luck!

And the greatest act of trolling a telemarketer in history...

Nobody will ever be as good at messing with telemarketers as Mr. Mabe, but you can still have some fun with it. B)

That was good!

so you're writhing around the kitchen floor, chicken bone stuck in your throat, and are willing to depend 911 can pinpoint your location by cell phone?

in time.

Actually yes. I can press the main button on my iPhone, ask "Where Am I"? and the correct address comes back (with a map) within seconds.

NEW home security systems may be! Mine probably went in when the home was new. It uses a land line to call in emergencies. Not that it's ever had to. We live in a safe area, but my wife feels more secure with the system. Still, I'm not replacing it.It works fine.

Everything can be an App these days. I was told I can replace my pool control panel with an iPhone App panel for several thousand dollars... um, no.

NEW home security systems may be! Mine probably went in when the home was new. It uses a land line to call in emergencies. Not that it's ever had to. We live in a safe area, but my wife feels more secure with the system. Still, I'm not replacing it.It works fine.

Mine is like that, 2007 vintage ADT. The newer ones use the WiFi/internet connection instead of a land line..and they have a phone app for arming/disarming them...mine still works fine, will put one of the new ones in my next house.

Mine is like that, 2007 vintage ADT. The newer ones use the WiFi/internet connection instead of a land line..and they have a phone app for arming/disarming them...mine still works fine, will put one of the new ones in my next house.

My house was built in 2004. It also has an intercom system throughout, that we've never used. Ancient technology. If I'm upstairs or in the basement and my wife needs me, she calls my cell or texts!

My house was built in 2004. It also has an intercom system throughout, that we've never used. Ancient technology. If I'm upstairs or in the basement and my wife needs me, she calls my cell or texts!

Does it have ethernet jacks in the power outlets throughout? A friend of mine in Colorado in '99 built a house and had Cat-5 cabling throughout the house w/ ethernet jacks everywhere...alas, obsolete once WiFi became mainstream..