Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

My house was built in 2004. It also has an intercom system throughout, that we've never used. Ancient technology. If I'm upstairs or in the basement and my wife needs me, she calls my cell or texts!

My wife is from Chicago, she doesn't need the darn phone. I can hear her from across the street............

Just ask Danno and Jonathan.

:lol:

G

My wife is from Chicago, she doesn't need the darn phone. I can hear her from across the street............

My wife's family is LOUD. Especially her brothers! I used to kid them during the Saturday Night Live skit on the Loud Family. One time they got us kicked out of a hotel pool... after they were asked to quiet down like three times.

Whoa! I'm NOT going near that one! You are on your own, G. :lol:

However, you don't have to worry about a home security system . . . she's it!!

Beware, burglars, crooks, trespassers, and evil interlopers: enter at your own risk and . . . by the way, it'll be the last thing you enter, except that pine box.

Double header today.

Irk1 the grocery stores have wipes for the cart handles and put the dispenser right at the door. Move the silly thing in a few feet as the carts are ourside and the wipes are inside so walking another ten feet or more doesn't make a diference.

Irk2 same store today they decided to do free samples so where do they pu the tablet right in the narrow isle by the check stand.

I was at a post office today and after about a minute in line, somebody in his late 80's/early 90's walks in and within a minute of walking in starts to whine that it's taking to long and wants to know why only one of the 2 registers is open (only had one cashier in duty, plus I was one of 5 people in line ahead of him) and that he was going to go to another office.........

After I got up to the window I had to fill something out for one of the things I was going to mail, so I stepped off to the side to work on that then went to the back of the line (which was down to this guy and another close to him in age by now)......not sure what would have been worse, how this guy would have reacted if I had just gone and went right to the window after filling out the paperwork or if he had to go to the local Secretary of State office and get a license plate sticker like I had to for the Jeep after leaving the Post Office..........the line there was almost out the door when I got there and got worse after I got there!

At the post office where I do mailings for my employer, when someone comes in and forgets to fill something out, the clerk will let them step to the side, finish the paperwork, then be first in line to go back to that clerk. Sometimes the line gets pretty long, but I've yet to see anyone in line complain about them handling it that way. Most people do fill out everything they think they need while waiting in line, so if they've got the wrong form or are short something, it's usually an honest mistake.

And then there's the DMV...at most places where I have worked, I've had to go down there and register a vehicle or two for the business. At one location you'd usually spend an hour or more there before you got to the front of the line. Every time I went, when I got near the front of the line, some clown would walk in, stroll up to the front, and say he was being taken care of but had to go out to his car and get something. Of course, none of us saw this guy in the hour or more that we were in line. Uh...nope...get to the back, buddy. I went to another location last week to register two cars for my employer; now they use those little number tabs like at the supermarket deli counter.

And then there's the DMV...

It used to be brutal here...prepare to spend the day, pack a lunch.

But in the last several years, this state (or this county, anyway) has done a truly remarkable job of streamlining the process. Last several times I've been there, the wait hasn't been over 10 minutes, and every rep I've dealt with has been smart, professional and knew the laws...and the right forms. It certainly didn't used to be that way. You'd get told two different procedures by two different reps.

It's really a pleasure to deal with a government agency that works well. Unusual, but quite nice.

When I lived in New Jersey, new governor Christie Whitman vowed to straighten out the Department of Motor Vehicles and darn right did! Where the system was hours of waiting in cramped offices to be served by cranky to downright hostile help, the reform brought on a state of the art website for renewing registrations and changing info on your rego or drivers license.

Under the new system, they moved the local offices to newer, brighter and more expansive buildings. The help was cheerful, and wouldn't you know I spotted a few of the formerly cranky old ladies being nice and smiling! I'll bet the old system was so miserable to work in that they took it out on the customers. But now the very same people looked happy. What a transformation! I actually looked forward to going! And this office handled everything you possibly could want... licenses, registrations, plates and titles on the spot.. including sticky situation resolution.

Move to Pennsylvania and it's back to the dark ages. They have state run offices where you can only get drivers permits and licenses. Big building with a million people working there and that's all they do. Car paperwork is done by small private offices owned by political cronies. When I brought my NJ cars here, I had to deal with this system... can they issue a new title? Noooo... they take your application and then they send a courier the entire length of the state to the head DMV office in the state capital! And they charge you to transport it. I titled four cars... one courier fee? Noooo they acted like the courier was going to make four separate trips. And then the state mails you your title about a month later. They'll sell you a registration and a plate (yea, PA only has a rear plate) with huge fees. I recently needed to get a duplicate registration... $27! So their whole system is a privatized money grab.

But liquor stores? THOSE are state owned and operated! Now that's like going to DMV. Everyone there is a state employee with a state ID badge clipped to their shirt. Go figure!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Last time I had to renew my license I had to present my "official" birth certificate and social security card in person.

It's pretty crazy here. Not the same office as handles taxes and registration, but an entirely different paper mill...inefficient and long-lined in spite of the "take-a-number" technology. Had to take current proof-of-address, passport (or certified birth certificate) social security printout from the kiosk on-site at the license office, AND my expiring licence. Counter personnel much more interested in talking and laughing with each other than doing actual work and moving clients through the process.

I asked them...since I had my old licence, and the old photo looked like me (awful), how could I have become someone else in the past 5 years? Crickets chirping...

Sad story... part of why there was a big DMV reform in New Jersey was that the old privatized system was so corrupt that the 9-11 hijackers all carried bogus NJ drivers licenses, all coming out of the Patterson, NJ DMV. So the following year EVERYBODY had to show up in person at DMV and renew their license.

The state came up with this complex identification system where all kinds of different documents had point values and you had to have 10 points worth to prove you were you. Your current license wasn't good as ID because they assumed it was bogus. If you were born between 1955-1970 in Bergen County, your birth certificate was also assumed bogus since they said there was a lot of corruption in that era. So you needed to apply for a state issued birth certificate, and because of that volume, the state was something like 6 months behind. People were driving on expired licenses because they couldn't document themselves.

In the meantime, I needed a passport. So I took my NJ drivers license and my Bergen County birth certificate and the United States of America accepted that ID and gave me a passport! The NJ DMV would accept a passport as identification, so I used that to renew my license. Totally confusing right?