Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Hey Tom. We've got our share here also. This was taken Christmas Morning from our Couch.

12-25-2014%20Buck_zpsnvlagnos.jpg

Be glad he was no longer pulling that sleigh!:lol:

Dean, Here's the Text I used when I sent it out to Friends  "    ‘Round the World in 24 Hours, All Packages Delivered, IT’S Miller Time!!  "

It's a lot more than internet competition these days that closes hobby shops. They're a lot fewer hobbyist now than there were back in the 60's, due to a lot of things including TV/computer gaming, more sport activities, facebook, etc. and also the very high cost of operating a brick & mortar hobby shop are big factors in the downhill slide of the hobby shops we used to enjoy back in the 50's & 60's.

i would add that the internet removes the "attitude" which some hobby shops display(-ed) towards their customers. yes, there were some great owners who would take the fledgling hobbyist under their wing and spend all afternoon explaining the intricacies of Ambroid versus LaPage adhesive, but there were as many who would not even get off their stool to take down a $19.95 kit to allow a closer look.

now, with competition for the expendable hobby-dollar, most, even internet companies, will bend over backwards to make a sale and hopefully a customer.

Went to somewhere in the 200 and opened the door to find it like a blast furnace, so I start it to get the  A/C pumping........and it was like that had quit...........I then realized that I had turned it off for the drive home last night since it was so nice out.

Yes Joe it was really nice last night as I and a few of my friends did a cruise night yesterday and the place was "packed." I heard they had 'bout 450 cars at that event. People are tired of the rain and when it's dry, out comes their rides.

Don't get me started on all the rain, when Mom was in the two nursing facilities, I swear that it rained almost every time I went to visit her, if not on the way there, it was on the home................and most of the time, it was POURING!  I will say though, those new BFG's do work fantastic in the driving rain!

Waking up to a terrible cramp in my calf that wouldn't go away for nearly half an hour. Bad enough that I couldn't even move my leg without excruciating pain.

Off to the grocery store in a few minutes to get some bananas, must be a little low on potassium.

Charlie Larkin

I belong to a union, and when I was working, getting my paycheck late wasn't tolerated by the union for ANY reason. We got paid every week and on time. One company I worked for wanted to pay us every other week, and the union said NO.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They tell us that our paycheck comes every second Thursday, and it usually does. However, what if someone working there had a family to feed? Even being a day late could mean they go hungry for a day.

Still, I got it today. :)

Waking up to a terrible cramp in my calf that wouldn't go away for nearly half an hour. Bad enough that I couldn't even move my leg without excruciating pain.

Off to the grocery store in a few minutes to get some bananas, must be a little low on potassium.

Charlie Larkin

You could be dehydrated too Charlie, especially this time of year with the heat. I always drink several glasses of water in the evening before bed to avoid such problems.

Yes Joe it was really nice last night as I and a few of my friends did a cruise night yesterday and the place was "packed." I heard they had 'bout 450 cars at that event. People are tired of the rain and when it's dry, out comes their rides.

Which one Nick? A friend of mine posted some pics on Facebook from the Market Square show in Lake Forest.

Charlie Larkin

You could be dehydrated too Charlie, especially this time of year with the heat. I always drink several glasses of water in the evening before bed to avoid such problems.

Which one Nick? A friend of mine posted some pics on Facebook from the Market Square show in Lake Forest.

The cruise night was in downtown Wauconda on Main street and surrounding areas. LOTs of cars, spectators, places to eat, and DQ (Dairy Queen) afterwards.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie...man am I familiar with those leg cramps...I even bruise from them but mine is from nerve damage signals getting crossed or something like that...horrible.  Hope you feel better.  

I belong to a union, and when I was working, getting my paycheck late wasn't tolerated by the union for ANY reason. We got paid every week and on time. One company I worked for wanted to pay us every other week, and the union said NO.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They tell us that our paycheck comes every second Thursday, and it usually does. However, what if someone working there had a family to feed? Even being a day late could mean they go hungry for a day.

Still, I got it today. :)

that's why we save; sometimes unexpected things happen.

Got the rest of the AN fittings in today to finish the plumbing on the '47 Caddy, and did it all before lunch. Also got the little part that broke, making my expensive flaring tool a useless piece of scrap. $8 part, $12 shipping. They could have put it in an envelope (which they did) and sent it USPS for less than a buck, instead of UPS for $12. Oh well...at least I'm up and running with that tool again. Grainger wanted $31 for the thing.B)

The fridge conked out last night sometime. By the time I realized it this morning, it was room temp inside... had to throw out a lot of food... as in $$$.

And to top it all off, the repair cost me $320. All for a cheap little part (compressor relay). Probably costs about a buck or two in reality, but by the time they add in their markup on the part, their "house call" fee, their "emergency call" fee, their "zone two" travel fee, their weekend fee, their labor fee, their "fee just because they can" fee... it all runs me $320.

What am I gonna do, argue with the guy? I know I was ripped off, but what's a consumer to do? Call the BBB? Waste of time. 

I hate it when companies rip you off because they know that you're in a jam and you basically have to have repairs done NOW. And man, they take advantage of the situation to really screw you, big time.

Why are people so eager to screw over each other?

Sheesh... now I'm going to have to overcharge my next client to make that money back! :P

Just kidding! I don't play that way. B)

My roommate (an otherwise great friend) is being a total (insert whatever extremely derogatory word as you see fit) today, acting like a complete and utter child, and since I'm stuck here with no means of transportation, that irks me,... immensely. I cannot wait until I have my mobility back.

My roommate (an otherwise great friend) is being a total (insert whatever extremely derogatory word as you see fit) today, acting like a complete and utter child, and since I'm stuck here with no means of transportation, that irks me,... immensely. I cannot wait until I have my mobility back.

Call Uber. They'll give you mobility.

Sorry to hear of your expensive misfortune Harry.  You're right about how companies really stick it to you when you're in a jam and need it now.  Most of the time "we" don't think of shopping around for several estimates when we're "under the gun".