Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

you may be lucky that he sold it to someone else, any time I've seen an british car for less than $1,000 it's usually not really "road worthy".

X3!! Owned a '71 Midget back in the mid '80's that I paid $700 for. It was THE most troublesome car I've ever had before or since!

And yes, most of the trouble was electrical, and it would happen at the darndest time. Like when you NEED the headlights to work and they decide they don't want to. Or they are working and they decide to quit working. :o

After six months and when cold weather was setting in again, I had to let it go! It was a very fun car to drive, just too troublesome for my tastes. I couldn't stand it today for a minute------just goes to show how age really changes things! :D

And yes, most of the trouble was electrical, and it would happen at the darndest time. Like when you NEED the headlights to work and they decide they don't want to. Or they are working and they decide to quit working. :o

It's that pesky Lucas headlamp switch...  it has three positions   OFF,  DIM and FLICKER.

Got the little beige note from the Post Office about having to come in to pick up and sign for a package..what irks me is their limited hours--8:30am-4:30pm which doesn't work for people with a normal work schedule..will have to go in on Saturday (at least they are open then and not closed like many of them are around here). 

I hear ya. Same thing here.

Yeah, the PO has limited hours, but given the fact that they are losing BILLIONS of dollars every year, do you really want them to expand their hours?

Aren't they losing enough $$$ already?! :o

8:30-4:30 is unrealistic, only good for retirees, the unemployed and shutins.   They could try stayiing open till 5:30 or 6... oddly, one post office location in the city is open till 9 on weeknights, I use it if I have to mail anything...

8:30-4:30 is unrealistic, only good for retirees, the unemployed and shutins.   They could try stayiing open till 5:30 or 6... oddly, one post office location in the city is open till 9 on weeknights, I use it if I have to mail anything...

Shut-ins, by definition, don't go out to the post office, little beige note or not.  

Just sayin' . . . ;)

Edited by Danno

8:30-4:30 is unrealistic, only good for retirees, the unemployed and shutins.

But how can an outfit that's losing billions as it is even consider expanding operating hours? Just the opposite, they're talking about reducing operations... as in no more Saturday mail delivery. Don't hold your breath waiting for the PO to expand their operating hours.

But how can an outfit that's losing billions as it is even consider expanding operating hours? Just the opposite, they're talking about reducing operations... as in no more Saturday mail delivery. Don't hold your breath waiting for the PO to expand their operating hours.

Wouldn't being open more hours literally take an act of Con-gress to allow them to do so? It's why they're in up to their eyeballs as it is!

Works for me, although, I do work in retail, usually have at least one weekday off, plus tend to work evening shifts, so it's all good there ;)

But how can an outfit that's losing billions as it is even consider expanding operating hours? 

I did some work for a company that was definitely going to be losing money on each copy of the product I'd developed for them if they insisted on selling it for the targeted price. The owner's response was "we'll make it up on volume". ;)

Where I live in Montana, we only get mail on Friday and Monday.

But how can an outfit that's losing billions as it is even consider expanding operating hours? Just the opposite, they're talking about reducing operations... as in no more Saturday mail delivery. 

I fully support eliminating Saturday mail delivery. It's just not necessary.   I study postal history and the mail was very important back in history. In business centers they delivered mail several times a day, because it was people's primary communication since there were no or limited phones.  I have old covers from the late 1800s  between businesses... one note goes out  "I will see you in your office at 11 am tomorrow"  It was postmarked in the morning in Newark, NJ and postmarked "received" in Brooklyn, NY in the afternoon.  Same day delivery and nobody was surprised when this guy showed up the next morning.  

Today, we have so many forms of communication that the mails aren't all that important anymore.  So I get the junkmail I would've gotten on Saturday on Monday. Big deal!

Dan.... I can relate to that....every place I have ever worked for had guys like that.  I spent most of my time doing the job of 2 or more people including the boss at one.  He come in at about 10AM then go to lunch around 12 and come back around 2 or 3 then go home at 5PM...complain about not getting much done..???  Me many times id get there and start work around 4 or 5 AM work till 5 or ? PM just to get stuff that had to go out done on time and get gripes about overtime..really...?   Some people just never get it I guess...?   Funny thing is since I cant work anymore I actually miss working....have in there Dan.

lousy help

boss hired another crew to help on a big job, for 2 weeks could not get the whole crew to show up, or some of them would show up FOUR HRS LATE, caused more grief & hassles than any good.

yesterday was payday-surprise, surprise, every idiot finally showed up, but not for long. 

"can i go to the bank", "can i go cash my check" all i was hearing, & i'm like no, we're at work & need to finish this job. two of them left at lunch to cash their checks, did'nt come back for a hr & a half.

finally did what the boss did'nt, gave them their walking papers & sent the other 2 home, dont call us, we'll call you....

stupidest thing, these idiots only had maybe 2 or 3 days wages coming for 2 weeks, one guy had 7 hrs, then they whine & complain, i just tell them, you dont get paid for being on payroll & sitting at home....

now i'm on my second day over our time frame, but me & our reg crew should have it done today

I worked for a commercial (no residential work) roofer for nine years...same story.  Among other things, I did the payroll and sometimes got involved with HR.  Guys wouldn't show up when needed, would disappear during the winter so they wouldn't be called in for repair jobs (they'd even change phone numbers).  But when springtime rolled around, they were back, often owing money that the owner loaned out over the winter.  I told the boss to try not calling a couple of the worst ones back, to make an example and bring the rest into line...nope, can't do that because they're hunting buddies.  I'd set up savings deductions with the credit union for these clowns; when I went to the CU office to drop off the check, half of them are standing in line waiting to withdraw the money.  It's not perfect anywhere else, though...hard to hire good people when you are competing with "off the books" work (no taxes, no child support deducted) and/or just sitting at home waiting for the monthly check...

lousy help

boss hired another crew to help on a big job, for 2 weeks could not get the whole crew to show up, or some of them would show up FOUR HRS LATE, caused more grief & hassles than any good.

yesterday was payday-surprise, surprise, every idiot finally showed up, but not for long. 

"can i go to the bank", "can i go cash my check" all i was hearing, & i'm like no, we're at work & need to finish this job. two of them left at lunch to cash their checks, did'nt come back for a hr & a half.

finally did what the boss did'nt, gave them their walking papers & sent the other 2 home, dont call us, we'll call you....

stupidest thing, these idiots only had maybe 2 or 3 days wages coming for 2 weeks, one guy had 7 hrs, then they whine & complain, i just tell them, you dont get paid for being on payroll & sitting at home....

now i'm on my second day over our time frame, but me & our reg crew should have it done today

I guess that's what you can expect when you do non-union work. ALL of downtown Chicago was built using union workers, and I see it continuing that way for a long time. No cry babies, just skilled workers who want to feed their families and pay their bills.

49 cents, across the street or across the country. ;)  

pr14_036-1.png

And at that price the USPS is losing billions of dollars a year.

The facts are the facts. "The mail" just isn't as vital as it used to be. Like Tom mentioned, back in the day, the US Mail was the primary means of communication, both in business and for personal communication. It was so important that mail was delivered several times a day!

Then came the telephone, and letter writing became "old fashioned." Then came the internet and email to further cut the need to communicate via paper letters sent to the recipient. Then came online bill pay, eliminating millions of paper bills and paper bill payments. You can see where this is going. The volume of "mail" has declined severely, yet the PO is still this gigantic bureaucracy staffed and set up to handle a volume of mail that just isn't there anymore. Then, to top it all off, add in the cost of all the postal worker pensions and you have the perfect recipe for disaster... a gigantic, overstaffed bureaucracy that doesn't make nearly enough profit to cover its expenses.

IMO the smart thing to do would be to eliminate the USPS altogether, and privatize mail delivery. FedEx and UPS could probably do a more efficient job delivering "the mail" than the USPS can, and the fact that customers would have a choice as to who they want to use for mail delivery would result in competition between carriers... keeping efficiency up and costs down.

Let's be honest... we could all get by just fine without Saturday mail delivery. Heck, we could probably get by just fine with one day a week mail delivery.

If that would mean they could stay open another hr or so on weekdays in my area, I'd be fine with it....I think what you mentioned here is actually getting some serious thought in higher circles in the delivery services Harry. I work in shipping and receiving for a living, and its surprising how much USPS gets dumped on UPS for delivery, and Visa-Versa. It wouldn't take much to make the switch.

Edited by bismarck

And at that price the USPS is losing billions of dollars a year.

The facts are the facts. "The mail" just isn't as vital as it used to be. Like Tom mentioned, back in the day, the US Mail was the primary means of communication, both in business and for personal communication. It was so important that mail was delivered several times a day!

Then came the telephone, and letter writing became "old fashioned." Then came the internet and email to further cut the need to communicate via paper letters sent to the recipient. Then came online bill pay, eliminating millions of paper bills and paper bill payments. You can see where this is going. The volume of "mail" has declined severely, yet the PO is still this gigantic bureaucracy staffed and set up to handle a volume of mail that just isn't there anymore. Then, to top it all off, add in the cost of all the postal worker pensions and you have the perfect recipe for disaster... a gigantic, overstaffed bureaucracy that doesn't make nearly enough profit to cover its expenses.

IMO the smart thing to do would be to eliminate the USPS altogether, and privatize mail delivery. FedEx and UPS could probably do a more efficient job delivering "the mail" than the USPS can, and the fact that customers would have a choice as to who they want to use for mail delivery would result in competition between carriers... keeping efficiency up and costs down.

Let's be honest... we could all get by just fine without Saturday mail delivery. Heck, we could probably get by just fine with one day a week mail delivery.

One thing to keep in mind Harry,  The USPS also does some of Fed-UPS shipping for them, especially to small, rural towns like the one Mom grew up in.  Fed-UPS wouldn't bother dispatching a truck theredue to costs, but they have their little P.O. right on the main drag to pick up packages up at. With Fed-UPS, my cousin would have to drive 20+min to get packages at a town big enough to  "deserve" a store. 

49 cents, across the street or across the country. ;)  

pr14_036-1.png

The problem of USPS VS UPS/FedEx is that USPS is mandated to deliver mail, at the same rate for all US addresses. There are literally USPS carrier routes by way of Cessna to remote areas.  UPS and FedEx are businesses and are free to set rates as they see fit.  And when they don't want to deliver something, they'll transfer it to USPS who will do the final delivery!    A few years ago I had a couple of hobby related packages to send out.  I thought I'd try UPS and found that they wanted double to triple to deliver the same light package.  I asked and the clerk said that these were both  non-standard rural routes.  Funny that both my packages were considered that!  The one was the second half of a trade, and I reused the same box and packing.  The kit coming to me USPS was $6, but UPS wanted $15.  So I took it to the post office, and sure enough USPS was willing to deliver it to that "rural route" for $6.

So if we did away with USPS and left daily mail to the for profit vendors,  it would be like  49 cents to mail to me, and $3 to mail to Harry and I doubt either would want to deliver to Ed!  

And the main reason USPS is running in the red right now is a congress mandated pension fund contribution, for "future" employees.  This amount is absurdly over estimated and is completely crippling the business.  USPS was broken off as part of the government in 1972 and is supposed to be a for profit business.  But congress is still calling the shots.

Edited by Tom Geiger