Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I don't have a problem with Geraldo. I probably agree with him about as often as I disagree with him. He's kind of hard to pin down. He's a liberal on some issues, a conservative on others. That tells me that he's more than a partisan hack.

And I'm sure there were plenty of TV people besides him who were pushing for that whole "Capone's Vault" thing.

Remember the hype over Al Capone's sealed vault?

Weeks and weeks of build up?

Live on national TV, an empty vault.

What a maroon.....................

It worked for him!  As said by someone else here,  he got paid!     AND, we're all talking about it more than a decade later!  

A coworker, he was told to finish putting a customer's R/C truck back together and run it after we replaced  the flywheel and clutches and reinstalled the engine.  Apparently he first tried starting it without hooking the fuel line from the tank to the carb, then I had to tell him to run the line from the tuned pipe to the tank (using exhaust as a fuel pump).  He starts it again, no throttle response......didn't put the carb linkage on either...........I kinda wanted to shoot him with an airsoft gun at that point..............

A coworker, he was told to finish putting a customer's R/C truck back together and run it after we replaced  the flywheel and clutches and reinstalled the engine.  Apparently he first tried starting it without hooking the fuel line from the tank to the carb, then I had to tell him to run the line from the tuned pipe to the tank (using exhaust as a fuel pump).  He starts it again, no throttle response......didn't put the carb linkage on either...........I kinda wanted to shoot him with an airsoft gun at that point..............

Minimum wage, dude!  Minimum wage!

I'm curious. What's your hiring screening like, and/or does your employer train employees to work on RC models? I've found that new-hires can rarely actually DO what they claim to be able to do, and it really doesn't matter what field we're talking, either. But it usually takes them screwing a few things royally before anyone catches on.

Delegating responsibility to someone before he's proven capable isn't really good management.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm curious. What's your hiring screening like, and/or does your employer train employees to work on RC models? I've found that new-hires can rarely actually DO what they claim to be able to do, and it really doesn't matter what field we're talking, either. But it usually takes them screwing a few things royally before anyone catches on.

Delegating responsibility to someone before he's proven capable isn't really good management.

I've known him for years, he and his brother (also working there), bought stuff for their own r/c's  before they were old enough to work and come from a  family that has auto repair businesses! At this point, I'm not sure if he is stupid or lazy............

Minimum wage, dude!  Minimum wage!

He also said yesterday that you get the work you pay for, I reminded him that if you don't work, you don't get paid!

Dad managed to get a sparrow in the house.

We're not sure if it left or not, and I'm a little afraid to leave the house out of fair of what a trapped (or thinks it's trapped) bird might do.

Charlie Larkin

Probably the worst it can do is poop. Or kill itself flying into windows. 
I had to catch a mockingbird trapped in a warehouse. It just kept flying into a window. When I got it, it didn't even try to bite me. I let it go, and it flew to the nearest power line and chirped, then flew away. 

I've been bitten by sparrows and it tickles. 

Edited by Zarana-X

Dad managed to get a sparrow in the house.

We're not sure if it left or not, and I'm a little afraid to leave the house out of fair of what a trapped (or thinks it's trapped) bird might do.

Charlie Larkin

Be careful... those crazy sparrows will get into your liquor cabinet so fast it'll make your head spin...

:lol:

Probably the worst it can do is poop. Or kill itself flying into windows. I had to catch a mockingbird trapped in a warehouse. It just kept flying into a window. When I got it, it didn't even try to bite me. I let it go, and it flew to the nearest power line and chirped, then flew away. 

I've been bitten by sparrows and it tickles. 

I was more afraid of it flying into objects and breaking stuff. The bird poop is another issue.

It appears it actually did depart, so I sat home all day for nothing. Oh well. 

And, seeing that nobody else did it, I might as well...

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

Scamming moron SOB phone solicitations.

No, I never answer odd calls from numbers I don't recognize, or that have obviously spoofed ID data...but man...how can so many of these cretins be operating profitably enough to stay in business?

I naturally put call block on all of them as they come in, but every day, there are more.

Just exactly WHEN did a phone go from being for the communication convenience of the owner to an open invitation to be constantly hounded by thieving scumbags?

And WHY does the FCC turn a blind eye to the abuse? Surely, with today's technology, if there was any REAL desire to put a stop to this crappola, it could easily be done.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Scamming moron SOB phone solicitations.

No, I never answer odd calls from numbers I don't recognize, or that have obviously spoofed ID data...but man...how can so many of these cretins be operating profitably enough to stay in business?

I naturally put call block on all of them as they come in, but every day, there are more.

Just exactly WHEN did a phone go from being for the communication convenience of the owner to an open invitation to be constantly hounded by thieving scumbags?

And WHY does the FCC turn a blind eye to the abuse? Surely, with today's technology, if there was any REAL desire to put a stop to this crappola, it could easily be done.

Do they have a Do Not Call Registry in your state? Up here they have one in Ontario. I was having the same problem you are, where 90% of the calls were not actual calls but spam. I registered my name and number on the government do not call list and the B.S. calls dropped off to almost nothing. 

Do they have a Do Not Call Registry in your state? Up here they have one in Ontario. I was having the same problem you are, where 90% of the calls were not actual calls but spam. I registered my name and number on the government do not call list and the B.S. calls dropped off to almost nothing. 

Yes, there's a national "do not call" registry, and it seemed to be pretty effective several years back. Now, it seems that a lot of these companies are operating in open disregard of the rules, with spoofed originating numbers and apparently, multiple business identities, frequent moving of operations-bases, etc. It doesn't help that there are really no teeth in the rules.

The permissible exceptions under the list are also a joke. Allowed to call:

1) Charities seeking donations.

I routinely get calls from these "charities" that, when researched, turn out to be nothing but money-makers for the solicitation company, with only a tiny fraction, if anything, actually going to the 'cause' they supposedly represent.

2) Companies you've "done business with" in the past.

The trick here is to use the most tenuous links to claim a "previous business relationship" that only exists by stretching definitions to absurdity...or outright lies.

3)  Politicians

No comment.

4) Surveys and opinion polls.

Again, the BS practice is to start off with a "survey" and segue into a sales pitch for something-or-other

Because the scammers twist and reinterpret these exceptions to get around the rules, and as there's apparently zero effective enforcement, the BS continues unabted.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've actually gotten a lot of this BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH stopped with a very specific technique but it takes time and effort.  I try to keep them on the line as long as possible by acting stupid and somewhat senile. To any of these people, they are after that one person who can be duped and that means figuring out if they have a sucker on the line and if not get off and move on.  If you get a reputation of being a real time hog then they will quit calling.  It can also be fun.  My objective is for them to get to the point that they hang up after a comment like "You have been wasting my time!" To which I reply, "Don't want me to waste your time? Don't call me!"  That generally results in them hanging up and occasionally some cursing thrown in for my amusement.  

Edited by Pete J.
failure to proof read

Yes, there's a national "do not call" registry, and it seemed to be pretty effective several years back. Now, it seems that a lot of these companies are operating in open disregard of the rules, with spoofed originating numbers and apparently, multiple business identities, frequent moving of operations-bases, etc. It doesn't help that there are really no teeth in the rules.

The permissible exceptions under the list are also a joke. Allowed to call:

1) Charities seeking donations.

I routinely get calls from these "charities" that, when researched, turn out to be nothing but money-makers for the solicitation company, with only a tiny fraction, if anything, actually going to the 'cause' they supposedly represent.

2) Companies you've "done business with" in the past.

The trick here is to use the most tenuous links to claim a "previous business relationship" that only exists by stretching definitions to absurdity...or outright lies.

3)  Politicians

No comment.

4) Surveys and opinion polls.

Again, the BS practice is to start off with a "survey" and segue into a sales pitch for something-or-other

Because the scammers twist and reinterpret these exceptions to get around the rules, and as there's apparently zero effective enforcement, the BS continues unabted.

There is a national "political" do not call registry...find it, and sign up.  When I get a (rare) stray call, the mere mention of the fact that I'm on that list brings profuse apologies and a promise to not call again.  I don't want calls even from people I support (you don't need to preach to the choir), and I don't need to hear from anyone I'm not going to support.

As for surveys, if you're paying for information, I'll play along.  I have done a couple of things where I was paid (not a drawing, either...how do you know if anything was awarded?).  I'll help them make money when they help me make some.

Businesses I've done business with in the past?  When they try that line on me, I let them know that they'll stay in the past as long as they keep calling.

I've got to admit it's never before happened, but Just opened a Samuel Adams Boston Lager 11 Pack!?

Hey, if you want to sue for "mental anguish" or "emotional distress" or something, I will gladly represent you for half of the settlement.

Call me... I work at the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.. 555-LAW-SCAM... :lol:

I've got to admit it's never before happened, but Just opened a Samuel Adams Boston Lager 11 Pack!?

I've gotten cases of beer with a can or two empty!  Enough to tick you off, but not enough to get in the car and drive all the way back to the store... especially in Ed's situation!

Hey, if you want to sue for "mental anguish" or "emotional distress" or something, I will gladly represent you for half of the settlement.

Call me... I work at the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.. 555-LAW-SCAM... :lol:

Thank's Harry, I called and was sent to a Paralegal Miss Hele Waite whom forwared me to her admin. Helen Back who assured me an attorney would be in contact soon!:huh:

I've gotten cases of beer with a can or two empty!  Enough to tick you off, but not enough to get in the car and drive all the way back to the store... especially in Ed's situation!

Wow Tom I've never had that happen! And Yea I ain't "Running" back to where I bought it. The round trip to where we shop is just over 80 miles. There are downsides to country life, Darn Few but there are some.;)

That's why I never by canned beer any more.  Can't tell what is in there.  Glass bottles forever!