Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Called a seller to find out where my parcel was (its a fujimi bike and roof rack set). The courier had left it on the doorstep 2 weeks before and it disappeared. After asking my neighbours if they'd seen it only one said they had and offered to let me search their house. I can nearly guarentee that neighbour stole it but have no proof. I'm not happy with the courier, he should have knocked and got me to sign for delivery, but instead I'm out of pocket due to their laziness.

Had a headlight go out on my 200, which will be a pain to swap, but I did find a way that will minimise dismantling the front of the car as well as any jacking up of the car and/or laying on the cold concrete! The real problem though, finding a store with the lights I want, the 2 pack Sylvania Silverstar Ultra #9012, since 1 is $36each while the pair is $46?! The only places that seem to have them on hand are the Advance Autos that used to be Car Quests, and have kept the closed on Sundays hours! Luckily that 1 remaining headlight puts out more light than both headlights on my XJ combined!

6 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Had a headlight go out on my 200, which will be a pain to swap, but I did find a way that will minimise dismantling the front of the car as well as any jacking up of the car and/or laying on the cold concrete! The real problem though, finding a store with the lights I want, the 2 pack Sylvania Silverstar Ultra #9012, since 1 is $36each while the pair is $46?! The only places that seem to have them on hand are the Advance Autos that used to be Car Quests, and have kept the closed on Sundays hours! Luckily that 1 remaining headlight puts out more light than both headlights on my XJ combined!

Not some place you would normally look for such things, but Wal Mart carries several different Sylvania bulbs and most are the brighter types.  

2 hours ago, espo said:

Not some place you would normally look for such things, but Wal Mart carries several different Sylvania bulbs and most are the brighter types.  

At this point, I've spent more time looking for those bulbs that it would have taken to swap them both, and put new 5x7 sealed beams in my XJ while I was at it. For now, I may just put in the $30 "Basic" bulb I bought Saturday night for "appearances" in case I got pulled over, or see of one of the guys that works back in the warehouse/production area at work  can do so while I'm on the phones tomorrow, then look for LED bulbs once the car is paid off this spring. I don't want to do this any more than I have to, as it requires temporary relocation of the underhood fusebox, and coolant and windshield solvent bottles as well as partial removal of the airbox so the fusebox can be moved there.  Otherwise, it involves partial, if not complete removal of the front bumper and grill assemble, partial removal of the fender liners, as well as the headlight assemblies if you want to go overboard and/or do other work on the front of the car while you're at it.  With my XJ, just need a couple 5x7 sealed beams, phillips screwdriver, a little light, and preferrably not horrible weather (i.e., no rain, driving snow, frigid cold, ect.) In a relatively safe area.

19 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

... I don't want to do this any more than I have to, as it requires temporary relocation of the underhood fusebox, and coolant and windshield solvent bottles as well as partial removal of the airbox so the fusebox can be moved there.  Otherwise, it involves partial, if not complete removal of the front bumper and grill assemble, partial removal of the fender liners, as well as the headlight assemblies if you want to go overboard and/or do other work on the front of the car while you're at it...

To change the headlight bulbs...:huh:

And people get mad at me when I voice the well-founded opinion that many new cars are designed by idiots who have no thought about making things relatively easy to maintain or repair...

11 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

To change the headlight bulbs...:huh:

And people get mad at me when I voice the well-founded opinion that many new cars are designed by idiots who have no thought about making things relatively easy to maintain or repair...

I'm beginning to have a lower opinion of those that recommend taking the front off the car to do the work, it's more work than my XJ, but actually fewer fasteners!

I suppose I'll have to take my newer Jeep to the dealer when it needs a bulb changed. From what I've read on the forums, people are taking off the front fascia to replace bulbs on WK2s.   In nearly 17 of driving , I never had to replace a front bulb on my old Jeep WJ. I replaced the rear bulbs several times, but the rear light housings came off easily w a couple screws.  

Edited by Rob Hall

8 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I suppose I'll have to take my newer Jeep to the dealer when it needs a bulb changed. From what I've read on the forums, people are taking off the front fascia to replace bulbs on WK2s.   In nearly 17 of driving , I never had to replace a front bulb on my old Jeep WJ. I replaced the rear bulbs several times, but the rear light housings came off easily w a couple screws.  

Check around the back side of the assemblies, I'm begining to think the Chrysler designers may have engineered in a way to get at that stuff from under the hood without complete disassembly of the nose. Can't remember what site I found the underhood method for the 200's on off the top of my head, but once they pointee it out, it's actually stupid simple, requiring 3 bolts, a reusable plastic rivit, and a push in "Christmas Tree" retainer to be removed, the lower airbox isn't fully bolted down and the fusebox is just clipped into place.

38 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Check around the back side of the assemblies, I'm begining to think the Chrysler designers may have engineered in a way to get at that stuff from under the hood without complete disassembly of the nose. Can't remember what site I found the underhood method for the 200's on off the top of my head, but once they pointee it out, it's actually stupid simple, requiring 3 bolts, a reusable plastic rivit, and a push in "Christmas Tree" retainer to be removed, the lower airbox isn't fully bolted down and the fusebox is just clipped into place.

yep, now days there are videos on the internet for most repair procedures -

headlamp replacement for the 2011-2014 Chrysler 200.  https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2012_Chrysler_200_LX_2.4L_4_Cyl._Sedan_(4_Door)/lights/headlight  Amazingly similar procedure to the headlamp replacement on a GMC Sierra...

headlamp replacement for the 2015-2016 Chrysler 200 - https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2015_Chrysler_200_Limited_2.4L_4_Cyl._Sedan_(4_Door)/lights/headlight    Chrysler added an access panel on the inner fender...

Edited by Muncie

There isn't much DIY on modern cars... I suspect I'll be able to change the wiper blades.   About the only things I've done to my Jeep myself is screw on the license plates (after going to a dealer to get a front bracket installed), swap the summer carpeted mats for winter Weathertech liners, and put on a seat cover over the back seat for the dogs.  

Edited by Rob Hall

42 minutes ago, Muncie said:

yep, now days there are videos on the internet for most repair procedures -

headlamp replacement for the 2011-2014 Chrysler 200.  https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2012_Chrysler_200_LX_2.4L_4_Cyl._Sedan_(4_Door)/lights/headlight  Amazingly similar procedure to the headlamp replacement on a GMC Sierra...

headlamp replacement for the 2015-2016 Chrysler 200 - https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2015_Chrysler_200_Limited_2.4L_4_Cyl._Sedan_(4_Door)/lights/headlight    Chrysler added an access panel on the inner fender...

Ah ha!!! That first one is the video I saw that recommended to move the  fusebox, coolant and window washer bottles! Rob, you might want to look on there for how to change the bulbs on your Grand.

I had a factory shop manual DVD for my WJ..that was pretty useful, had exploded diagrams as to how things went together.

Craziest DIY task I did was back 2009 when I replaced the broken driver's seat track on my WJ--that was a challenge to put it mildly..in a carport on a 105 degree AZ August evening.  Took the old seat out, disconnected the connections for the various power seat motors, reconnected to a used seat and track I bought on eBay and got delivered via Fed Ex... only bled a little, stabbing my hand w/ a screwdriver.    Don't think I will attempt anything like that again....

14 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Ah ha!!! That first one is the video I saw that recommended to move the  fusebox, coolant and window washer bottles! Rob, you might want to look on there for how to change the bulbs on your Grand.

Joe, I will agree with you on the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs - they are worth looking for.

1 hour ago, Muncie said:

Joe, I will agree with you on the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs - they are worth looking for.

I'm trying to research LED bulbs, but can't find much about them and the reliability as of yet. Kinda want LEDs for both, but the ones for my XJ are probably more than the rusty old Heep are worth.

18 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

I'm trying to research LED bulbs, but can't find much about them and the reliability as of yet. Kinda want LEDs for both, but the ones for my XJ are probably more than the rusty old Heep are worth.

In my old 93 XJ, I ran the IPF replacements with their H4 replacement bulbs. Was an amazing upgrade. Huge bang for the buck.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1600.htm

I ran them with the IPF H4 Magic Bulbs with the green glow ring. Kind of cheesy but I liked them.

LED headlights are a challenge here, as they don't generate enough heat to melt any ice or snow build up while driving.

Please folks. Come to NAPA for parts and advise. While I cannot vouch for the advise at all locations the parts should be there or close by. 9012 bulbs [or 9012LL Long Life] are in stock at my store. Between the three of us on the counter there is nearly 100 years of experience. NAPA pays far more than any others "parts stores" and thus attracts competent counter people. I cannot say for sure who you'll encounter at your NAPA but I can be certain they will be ASE certified. Parts counter ASE is indeed different from garage ASE but it does require competence to pass. I am true ASE and Bosch certified with nearly 20 years working on Euro autos from A to Z.

I personally keep informed about the latest car woes and having a friends garage on each side of my store doesn't hurt either. But don't trust me my car leaks every fluid other than wiper blue water.

Now to go dig out my car before work. Looks like we got a couple of inches overnight.

22 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

In my old 93 XJ, I ran the IPF replacements with their H4 replacement bulbs. Was an amazing upgrade. Huge bang for the buck.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1600.htm

I ran them with the IPF H4 Magic Bulbs with the green glow ring. Kind of cheesy but I liked them.

LED headlights are a challenge here, as they don't generate enough heat to melt any ice or snow build up while driving.

While not specifically directed at you, I absolutely hate car owners who install all those super bright headlights in their cars.

They are blinding the oncoming drivers (and don't tell me that they are just misadjusted). No, they are just too BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH bright!!  HID projector headlights are also pretty bad when it comes to blinding oncoming drivers (especially if the road is uneven and they shine right into my eyes while they go over a bump on the road).  The worse are them new LED headlights. Even factory installed - they are no only extremely bright, the bluish tint makes it even worse.  What happened to regulations which used to define the brightness and light pattern of a headlight?  Those seem to have gone the way of a DoDo bird!   Sure, you in you big SUV, you can see the road much better with those lights, but what about being considerate to the oncoming drivers?