Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

We actually wandered around our neighborhood for 20 minutes or so and saw a HUGE display right by our buidling...so we went home and had a pretty good view right out of our window :D

2v2Ehprqdxue8Lf.jpg

2v2Ehf7zFxue8Lf.jpg

Incredibly, this was on the sidewalk outside ours this morning with a sign saying "FREE - WORKS":

2v2Ehftrdxue8Lf.jpg

Cleaned it up, plugged it in, it works!  The super saw me messing with it and came and put the mounting bracket in the window right away so we could start using it and we're all set!

Oh wait, this is the "what irked you" thread....well, I guess I had to go buy the super a 6 pack of beers as thanks for installing it.  Cost me nearly $10 :D

So nice to read great posts like this!

Just now, slusher said:

So nice to read great posts like this!

Not as nice as not sweating to death when it’s still 90 degrees outside and 93% humidity right now! ??

Unfortunately the rest of our apartment feels like an oven as soon as we leave the room with the AC, but cunningly I put it in the window next to my workbench with the vents aimed right at me, so I predict some extensive model-building this weekend! ?

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Unfortunately the rest of our apartment feels like an oven as soon as we leave the room with the AC, but cunningly I put it in the window next to my workbench with the vents aimed right at me, so I predict some extensive model-building this weekend! ?

I remember back when I was a kid, the only room with an a/c was my mother's bedroom.  When it was seriously hot my sister slept in the bed with her and I brought in blankets and such to sleep on the floor right under the a/c! 

Today should be a scorcher!  And where am I going?  To my niece's high school graduation party... out in a back yard!  

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I remember back when I was a kid, the only room with an a/c was my mother's bedroom.  When it was seriously hot my sister slept in the bed with her and I brought in blankets and such to sleep on the floor right under the a/c! 

Today should be a scorcher!  And where am I going?  To my niece's high school graduation party... out in a back yard!  

Stay hydrated!  I think it’s meant to be a hot one today too!

13 hours ago, CabDriver said:

We actually wandered around our neighborhood for 20 minutes or so and saw a HUGE display right by our buidling...so we went home and had a pretty good view right out of our window :D

2v2Ehprqdxue8Lf.jpg

2v2Ehf7zFxue8Lf.jpg

Incredibly, this was on the sidewalk outside ours this morning with a sign saying "FREE - WORKS":

2v2Ehftrdxue8Lf.jpg

Cleaned it up, plugged it in, it works!  The super saw me messing with it and came and put the mounting bracket in the window right away so we could start using it and we're all set!

Oh wait, this is the "what irked you" thread....well, I guess I had to go buy the super a 6 pack of beers as thanks for installing it.  Cost me nearly $10 :D

Thats incredible.What is there an AC fairy running around giving away free air conditioners away?

4 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Thats incredible.What is there an AC fairy running around giving away free air conditioners away?

I know, right?  I couldn’t believe it ?. Especially as we’d just talked about it on here the day before.

My wife said “Look, a free AC!” and I looked at it and I said “I dunnno, it’s just sitting in the street, you think someone would be getting rid of one when it’s this hot if it actually worked properly?”  So, I carried it home, we plugged it in and it started blasting cool air almost right away!  Not gonna complain, even if it only works for a couple of months!

That said, the street we live on has a lot of other rentals and our super is always asking if we need some item that someone has left there when they’ve moved - this week we’ve been offered a TV, a treadmill, a dining table and a few chairs.  We’ve been slowly outfitting our new place with with decent stuff that other flaky tenants have left behind when they’ve split and not cleared all their stuff ?. Got a nice marble-topped table to use as a work surface in our kitchen which must’ve cost a decent amount when it was new, some like-new wooden chairs and a bookcase last week!  

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Cab Driver,Seriously,that’s a good deal for you and your wife.Enjoy the AC.Where do you live in NY?Im in Suffolk,another ????????Day

Man, it's hot down here in the south. Looking forward to mid September ... 

4 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Cab Driver,Seriously,that’s a good deal for you and your wife.Enjoy the AC.Where do you live in NY?Im in Suffolk,another ????????Day

We're in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn - a couple of stops from Coney Island.  We were both in Manhattan until late last year, but we got twice as much apartment for half as much by moving out a little :D  We're in a largely Italian neighborhood, it's cool - lots of nice bakeries and cafes and it's pretty quiet too. 

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Man, it's hot down here in the south. Looking forward to mid September ... 

My mother in law is in Brooklyn Mississippi and she's been telling us how bad it is there.  100+ degrees and 95% humidity for weeks at a time...now THERE's a place where you need a good AC!

17 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

We're in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn - a couple of stops from Coney Island.

If you're near Avenue U, there are a couple great places to shop. At 165, there's Elegante Pastry Shop; at 181, Meats Supreme and L&B Spumoni Gardens on 86th St., just off W.11th.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

If you're near Avenue U, there are a couple great places to shop. At 165, there's Elegante Pastry Shop; at 181, Meats Supreme and L&B Spumoni Gardens on 86th St., just off W.11th.

Great tips, thanks bud!  We’ve tried a few places locally but I’m sure we haven’t found all the best ones yet!

On 7/5/2019 at 8:10 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Sounded like World War 3 out there until after midnight.  Quiet this morning while all the drunks sleep it off!   Probably will get more amateurs over the weekend if they still have stuff!

I'm now experiencing Night Four of this. Or is it Night Five? Apparently all coming from one house. I'm thinking of buying a whole bunch of fireworks myself, waiting a few weeks until it's unexpected, and then setting them all off right under the windows of this place. Think they'd get the message? (They don't know me at all--I"m half a block away.) :angry:

We're have a big fireworks display put on by our home owners association for the Fourth of July. We are required by the Fire Department to have a licensed and insured person put on the show. This is the same person that does the cities fireworks also. This means we get our show on July 3. This works out well because we have our show followed by the cities show, and all the neighbors are shooting off stuff till about 10 or 11 at night. We don't have to spend a dime since everyone else is dropping a small fortune on fireworks. We usually start hearing some firecrackers around the first and each night it increases. After the show on the 3rd the neighbors were putting on big rocket shows till late into the night. Even last night, the 6th, we're still seeing everyone blowing up their money. Now that the local sales tents are closed by law it should get a little comer by the first of the week. 

I still get irritated thinking about when Dad and I had to stop and change a flat on his Town and Country on the 4th back in 2015 while Mom was still at their now preferred nursing home for the first time. He was having issues getting the right rear to hold air and we stopped at a gas station to put the spare on and the neighbors there were setting off explosive to the point it sounded like we were in a war zone and I was half expecting something to randomly fly out way until we were done..  Luckily we didn't have any pets with us and we don't have any PTSD issues between the two of us, but I can't imagine what it would be like if we had either.

United Airlines! Again! This time on my way out to Seattle. They missed my connection again so I got to spend the night at the Denver airport. I’m sitting here waiting to see if I get a seat on the 8 or 9am flights outta here.  I needed to be there in an orientation program by 9am, which I need to get a company badge, without I’m utterly useless for the rest of the week! 

No more flights with connections! Direct only no matter what the up charge!

My sister is getting married again and she lives many hours away. I book the hotel on Sunday and get a call Monday that they might not have the wedding party and they might just elope since almost nobody responded to her invites.

I'm mad for her since people aren't responding, but I'm also mad because the hotel was non refundable 

43 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

My 51st birthday.??today.Oh yea I just love getting older.....It SUCKS

It sucks? You should be thankful as getting older is a privilege that's denied to many. Just take it in stride and enjoy life instead of complaining about everything.

1 hour ago, High octane said:

It sucks? You should be thankful as getting older is a privilege that's denied to many. Just take it in stride and enjoy life instead of complaining about everything.

Yup. Elvis ain't getting older. Prince ain't getting older. Whitney ain't getting older. Jungle Jim ain't getting older. Sam Kinnison ain't getting older. Jimi ain't getting older. 

I'm not complaining. B)

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

My 51st birthday.??today.Oh yea I just love getting older.....It SUCKS

51? What really sucks about that is that you weren't around to buy all the cool AMT and MPC and JoHan '60s annuals in every drug store for $2...or to see the real ones several times a day, every single day. B)