Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

People who think a half-@$$ car should win a show because the owner did all the work. This wacky belief can go so far as to make the believer think an ugly car is cool, just because the owner built it. (That unbelievably awkward shortened Chrysler roadster from a few years ago)

I've known several guys who elected to be stay at home fathers. All had wives with well paying jobs and it just made sense. Hell if any of my wives had been an earner like that I would have gladly stayed home with the munchkins.

I worked with a detective whose wife kept getting promoted in a phone company and moved around the country. He decided to follow her and just switch jobs or not work at all. His interview at my PD was a hoot. "Can you explain why you worked at three different PD's in three different cities in six years ?" Poor guy finally had the chance to settle down and retire with 20 years on just after I did. Good detective too.

One thing is does the couple like the arrangement. If so, then who cares?

G

You guys with self inflicted injuries "take it easy" as neither one of them sound good. I know over the years I've "irked" myself many times as it's like "hey dummy" what'd you do that for?

"I'm comfortable with tools! Been using them for years." That is when that sort of stuff happens. I am 64 and just got bit by a drill. First thing my dad taught me was to unplug a power tool when I was doing something to it. Last week I got complacent with a drill. After all how bad can a drill be? I was changing a bit and holding the drill in an awkward position when my left hand hit the trigger just as I had a good grip on the chuck key. The key grabbed the cord and my hand all in one nasty bundle. No blood, but a badly sprained thumb and a lot of bruising. My Dad always said, "There are no mistakes, only lessons. The lessons will continue until they are learned". Or in my case relearned. Every tool can bite you if you let it. :blink::wacko:

Edited by Pete J.

Changing the subject... I get irked by the names people are giving to kids! And they grow up and walk around with those names! This morning on TV someone admitted to having a daughter named Sloan... "um yea, my parents named me after a plumbing supply company!" Then on a show my wife is watching there was a conversation between Shay and Creek...

I was reading online just the other day that a woman named her daughter Hashtag.

I'm irked to find out I might have gout. I'm waiting for confirmation from blood tests, but it does fit with my symptoms of waking up every once in while feeling like I bashed my toe with a hammer, and not remembering doing anything the day before that could have caused a sprain.

I'm also irked to have read the pile of neanderthal nonsense on the previous page of this thread.

I've known several guys who elected to be stay at home fathers.

My wife and I tag teamed it when we had our first daughter. She worked full time for AT&T during the day and I had an opportunity to run the evening CAD shift with a 10% shift differential. So she'd go to work days and I'd be home with my daughter. I'd cook the 'big meal' during the day and eat it for lunch. We had a baby sitter who would get off the school bus and come right over so I could leave for work at 3:30 pm. My wife was home by 5:30 every day and would eat the dinner I made earlier. I worked 4-12 and would get home about 1:00 am. Some nights I'd do the grocery shopping on my way home. That was cool because the supermarket was empty.

We did this schedule for 4 years! People would ask how we did it, but after a short time it just seemed normal! And for reference - that daughter is now 30!

Being a stay at home dad since my son was born (2 1/2 years now) I can say that i am ###### proud to say i am one. When you price out a day care and find out that your looking at 1200-1400 a month for a child under 1 year old and when they hit 1 year old it went down to 1000-1200 a month. Now that we moved from Louisville KY to Smyrna TN the rates dropped a little Down to 200.00 a week for full time so we are looking at 800-1000 a month. Most jobs around here pay about 10.00 an hour. so your looking at 400.00 a week, now deduct lets say 25% for taxes and the other fun stuff and your looking at 300.00 a week. Oh yeah then gas to drive to work. Roughly another 50.00 a week if your driving any distance. So after all that your looking to make a whopping 50.00 a week to pay someone to raise your kid. No thanks. Now that my son needs that play time with other kids i am trying to find work again but only to help my son grow.

I just this year finished doing the stay at home dad job. It was the best 5 years of my life to be able to stay at home with my two children. They are both in school full time so I'm back to work. I think that they are better prepared than most of their class mates, some of which is due to being with me at home. It was a little harder than I thought at first.

I just this year finished doing the stay at home dad job. It was the best 5 years of my life to be able to stay at home with my two children. They are both in school full time so I'm back to work. I think that they are better prepared than most of their class mates, some of which is due to being with me at home. It was a little harder than I thought at first.

Its a great feeling when i can say my 2 1/2 year old can count to 14 and say all of his ABC's all ready. 99% of the people think he is 4 because how well he talks and can figure things out (he is a puzzle wiz! up to 20pc puzzels and no picture needed!!) Its even better when i give other moms advice on how to do things. I helped a couple potty train their 3 yr old over the course of 2 weeks. How many other DADS can say that! It really gets me misty eyed thinking about going back to work and not being around my kid all day. That is going to be rough for me.

Finding out that this STUPID Heartbleed Bug is causing me to have to change a ton of passwords, not know if it is to late to prevent any damage done or not.

Yup. Amazing? How can it be that a piece of code almost universally used to improve "security" and written, checked, and updated by very well-paid professionals, has a massive flaw...an open "back door" vulnerability...and that it's taken this long for anyone to notice.

I guess Microsoft doesn't have a lock on sloppy careless codewriting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Avivah Litan on the April 9 Gartner.com http://blogs.gartner.com/avivah-litan/2014/04/09/open-ssl-heartbleed-vulnerability-affects-much-more-than-just-websites/

"As we all know by now, this is mega-serious and affects all users of Open SSL 1.0.1 through 1.01.f – so those who kept their Open SSL code up to date were in effect penalized.

For information on the vulnerability, see kb.cert.org

I’m just trying to understand why all the news reports are focused on individual communications with websites. SSL protocols, including Open SSL, are used in most ‘trusted’ machine to machine communications. This bug affects routers, switches, operating systems and other applications that support the protocol in order to authenticate senders and receivers and to encrypt their communications.

See list of affected companies here kb.cert.com

What this means is any trusted communications traffic using this protocol is ultimately not trustworthy – it goes way beyond individuals’ ‘handshakes’ and communications with websites. Forget having to plant back doors in encryption libraries, as the NSA allegedly did. The backdoors are already built in. So criminals and other naysayers can essentially eavesdrop on any sensitive communications using Open SSL 1.0.1 such as payment processing, file sharing and more, (although as my colleague Erik Heidt pointed out – this would require a compound attack since Heartbleed enables an attacker to recover anything being processed in memory on the server – rather than a direct attack against in-transit communications).

We’ve all been acclimated to the fact that our sensitive data is no longer well protected while it is at rest. We’ve also learned over the years that retailers, financial services companies, ecommerce providers and others who accept our sensitive transactions can’t always stay ahead of criminal exploits that steal the information.

Now we need to get used to the fact that we can’t trust some of the implementations of the protocols that secure data in transit over public and private internet networks. Until now that was the one area that looked relatively safe, at least to me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. It's not amazing at all. Just another example of slackers not doing what they get paid to do...which is GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

But wait. Why bother to do a good job, if nobody notices and you still get your salary?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You guys haven't figured it out? Microsoft quits updating XP, new virus comes out = lots of new PC sales.

Ummm...the Heartbleed bug isn't a "virus". It's a FLAW in the SSL web security cryptographic protocol, left in by the code writers, and not caught until now. Nothing at all like a virus. It's an error, a mistake, a f---up in something that is important in keeping web-transferred information secure.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ummm...the Heartbleed bug isn't a "virus". It's a FLAW in the SSL web security cryptographic protocol, left in by the code writers, and not caught until now. Nothing at all like a virus. It's an error, a mistake, a f---up in something that is important in keeping web-transferred information secure.

Still, not announced until XP support ends, coincidence? I think not.

When did the "pound" symbol (#) become "hashtag?" And why was I not asked my opinion before the changeover? ^_^

I've heard it referred to that way for years...Twitter may have been the first application to publicize it as a hashtag, but it's been called that previously...I also have heard it referred to as the 'sharp' symbol (musical origin, I believe). Another bit of computerese I've long liked is how the exclamation mark (!) is usually referred to as a 'bang' or 'splat' symbol.

I guess I'm going to have to declare war on the furry population of my neighborhood. Went out ot the work bench for the first time since last week and found that one of the little devils had decided to take a wiz right in the middle of my work area. Now everything I was working had to be washed and the glass plate cleaned to boot, found an opening in the soffit on the back of the garage where the little buggers had pried their way in, fixed that, now I've got the large traps out for good measure. I'll have to remember to wear something besides flip flops out to work in the garage, I really don't want to step on one of those things. :lol:

Posted Today, 08:21 PM

Greg Myers, on 13 Apr 2014 - 8:16 PM, said:snapback.png

I get in trouble for asking questions. :blink:
I get in trouble for not asking questions. :huh:

Been there, or been chastized for doing something nobody told me not to do or not knowing about something I wasn't there for.

I also hate being asked "why....(fill in the blank)" then no matter WHAT my answer is, being asked, "why are you making excuses"? Umm, because you specifically asked me.