Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

This is one is for the book , should I ever decide to write it ..... !

I received an email today from the president of the advertising department of a magazine . He informed me that he had received a phone call from an individual , asking him to please email me and instruct me to answer the email that said individual had sent me on Friday !

I worked on Friday and Saturday , and spent most of Sunday , snaking out the main sewer line for Kathie's house . Lone Wolf Custom Painting was about the last thing that I had on my mind this past weekend !

I received another email from the individual today stating that he would like my cell number so that he can call and discuss a build that he would like for me to do for him of his classic car ..... I just don't see this happening in this lifetime !

Do people realize that there are other aspects of life besides this ? Ya know ? , like , kids , grandkids , house and auto repair , significant others , a real job , etc ?

I try to help out as much with this hobby as I can , but there are times when it becomes almost more to deal with than it's worth ! People actually get hostile if you don't answer an email within a time setting of their choosing . I have to admit it , I am good about returning emails , but ...... Sometimes real life gets in the way !

This person gets flaked out about two days of an unanswered email , what's he going to be like with a several month build projection ?

Nope , uh uh , no way ! Ain't happenin' !

It stops being a hobby, and starts being a hassle for that very reason. I was in the very same boat (with much less skill) as you several years ago. Got tired of trying to meet unrealistic expectations and deadlines AND keep a roof over my families head. I build strictly for myself now, and couldn't be happier!! B)

I've never understood why it's legal for shops to install window tint on cars, but it's illegal for you to have it (in most states) on your car! :blink:

If it's illegal to have it, it should be illegal to install it, no?

Aha! What irks me are stupid state laws....

For instance I now live in Pennsylvania, a state whose laws often defy description...

My favorite. At all the state borders there are huge fireworks stores. Fireworks are illegal in Pennsylvania, so these stores are not allowed to sell them to PA state residents, only out of staters... never mind that fireworks are illegal in all the states that border PA!

And don't even get me going on the motor vehicle and alcohol laws here!

Not really an Irk, but more of a peeve, AND model related.

When "poseable" steering is referred to as "working steering". To me, working means, I turn the steering wheel and the wheels turn. The only reason this matters so much to me, is there are guys that make workable steering, and they indeed invest work.

What do you prefer to call it other that "A completed styrene model kit"? Would you rather have us call it an assembled?

I'd prefer "model."

This is my model of a 1957 whatever... not this is my build of a 1957 whatever. It's a model. It's not a "build." Build is a verb, not a noun. I build models. I don't build builds.

I'd prefer "model."

This is my model of a 1957 whatever... not this is my build of a 1957 whatever. It's a model. It's not a "build." Build is a verb, not a noun. I build models. I don't build builds.

'build' is a verb that has been nouned... :) As an aside, I definitely use it/see it used both ways in real life..i.e. 'run a build' or 'build the software', where build the verb refers to an automated process of packaging software, and build the noun refers to the artifact that is the result of the build process...i.e. a deployable executable version of the software to install on a server, for example. Not that different than the two uses in modeling, really.

Edited by Rob Hall

'build' is a verb that has been nouned... :) As an aside, I definitely use it/see it used both ways in real life..i.e. 'run a build' or 'build the software', where build the verb refers to an automated process of packaging software, and build the noun refers to the artifact that is the result of the build process...i.e. a deployable executable version of the software to install on a server, for example. Not that different than the two uses in modeling, really.

So if you're so accommodating of using a verb as a noun, you apparently have a pretty laid-back attitude regarding gramar and usage, right?

So why does the word "repop" bother you? ;)

So if you're so accommodating of using a verb as a noun, you apparently have a pretty laid-back attitude regarding gramar and usage, right?

So why does the word "repop" bother you? ;)

Check the dictionary. 'build' has both verb and noun definitions. Pretty common, there are many words like that. 'Repop' is not a word.

Check the dictionary. 'build' has both verb and noun definitions.

noun

the physical structure, especially of a person; physique; figure:He had a strong build.
the manner or form of construction: The house was of modern build.
Computers.
a. a version of a program after compilation, typically an update to an existing version made
before the program is released.
b. the process of producing a software build.
c. a new version or update of data in a database or on a website: frequent, incremental builds of data.
Masonry.
a. a vertical joint.
b. the vertical dimension of a stone laid on its bed.
No mention of model cars as "builds."

noun

the physical structure, especially of a person; physique; figure:He had a strong build.
the manner or form of construction: The house was of modern build.
Computers.
a. a version of a program after compilation, typically an update to an existing version made
before the program is released.
b. the process of producing a software build.
c. a new version or update of data in a database or on a website: frequent, incremental builds of data.
Masonry.
a. a vertical joint.
b. the vertical dimension of a stone laid on its bed.
No mention of model cars as "builds."

No, but the word can be used as a noun. Model cars are too obscure of a subject for a general purpose dictionary, but the usage is not that different than 11a--basically the end result of a build process. Furniture makers probably refer to the end result of their effort in a generic way as a 'build', for example. Or in other professions/hobbies...

Edited by Harry P.

No, but the word can be used as a noun. Model cars are too obscure of a subject for a general purpose dictionary, but the usage is not that different than 11a--basically the end result of a build process. Furniture makers probably refer to the end result of their effort in a generic way as a 'build', for example. Or in other professions/hobbies...

Ok, perfesser. You win! :D But whenever I hear a model called a "build" it still grates on me.

Fair enough, that's what they are. My point is that some words aren't very logical but have become so commonly accepted that they make sense anyway - 'dropping the clutch', and using the 'correct' word sometimes sounds odd - 'the Hurst Olds did another smokeout'? :wacko:

And the pronunciation of the word DECAL.

I've heard at least three pronunciations...

dee-cal The way most folks say it

deh-CAL enthuses on the second syllable. A guy in my club says it this way and will 'correct' you mid sentence, as if he's going to convert the entire hobby to his way.

deckle (as in heckle) Maybe a Western Canadian thing?