Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

One thing to keep in mind Harry,  The USPS also does some of Fed-UPS shipping for them, especially to small, rural towns like the one Mom grew up in.  Fed-UPS wouldn't bother dispatching a truck theredue to costs, but they have their little P.O. right on the main drag to pick up packages up at. With Fed-UPS, my cousin would have to drive 20+min to get packages at a town big enough to  "deserve" a store. 

But the only reason that situation exists as is is because the USPS exists! Get rid of it, and you can bet that someone will immediately fill the void left when USPS disappears. Nobody would be left out of mail delivery.

One possible scenario: the "big guys" (let's assume FedEx and UPS take up mail delivery after USPS goes away) sort/deliver the mail to the local PO... then a smaller local mail delivery company takes it from the PO and delivers it house to house. That's just one way it could work. Existing PO buildings could be saved... the only difference is that either FedEx or UPS would now staff and run them instead of USPS. FedEx or UPS could buy the mail sorting centers and POs outright, or lease them from the government... or build their own, new postal facilities if needed (or just rework their existing infrastructure to handle and sort regular mail). There are all kinds of possibilities here that could work, probably better and more efficiently than the current system.

USPS was broken off as part of the government in 1972 and is supposed to be a for profit business.  But congress is still calling the shots.

Right, the USPS has a weird sort of "semi-independent" status, which is sort of like having no status at all. But they are losing BILLIONS of dollars any way you slice it, so obviously there is something very wrong with their current business model. Even without the federally mandated pension payments, I don't see how they can ever become a profitable enterprise at the current price they charge for a basic unit of mail (49¢). My guess is that if they were to charge a realistic rate, a rate at which they could make a profit, a stamp would cost more like 2-3 bucks, not 49¢... and that price would only drive more people away and cause an even bigger reduction of volume.

I don't see how the USPs can ever right their ship.

Been a fan of my favorite college football team for 60+ years(as long as I can remember).  Five national championship seasons, a history of great coaches and great teams, umpteen conference championships and almost always in the top 25.  Just got a new coach and this is the worst string I can remember.  2 and 3 on the season.  Two door mat teams and three losses to OK teams in the closing seconds of the game(one hail mary, one OT loss, and one holy stuff, I can't believe that with 50 seconds left, they can't run out the clock).  I am just miserable.  I believe in giving the new coach a chance, but he needs to bring his coaching up to the level of the players he is coaching.  Time to step up to the plate.  Oh, and we are through the easy part of the season!  Now we are going to play ranked teams!

Yea, I know, it's just a football game.

I stayed home this afternoon waiting to have my driveway seal coated, I finally called 'bout 4:30 and they said they decided not to do it today because it looked like rain. It is and was supposed to be cloudy all day today with no rain. So now, they'll be out tomorrow to do the job, I hope???

Not irked so much as...hmmmm. I'm coming up on the end of my part of the '47 Caddy job (once she's running / driving, she goes away for paint and upholstery) and the tying-up-loose-ends mechanical and electrical details always seems to drag on forever. Still some systems to sort too, like integrating the 2014 XTS shifter with the 4L80-E gearbox (going to require a magic bellcrank to reverse the direction the control cable comes in to the shift lever on the gearbox), modifying the PRNDL to illuminate correctly (the XTS PRNDL is computer controlled, and we're not using any XTS electronics), component boards for the HID lighting, and on and on and on. 

Oh well. You eat the pachyderm one bite at a time.B)

Not irked so much as...hmmmm. I'm coming up on the end of my part of the '47 Caddy job (once she's running / driving, she goes away for paint and upholstery) and the tying-up-loose-ends mechanical and electrical details always seems to drag on forever. Still some systems to sort too, like integrating the 2014 XTS shifter with the 4L80-E gearbox (going to require a magic bellcrank to reverse the direction the control cable comes in to the shift lever on the gearbox), modifying the PRNDL to illuminate correctly (the XTS PRNDL is computer controlled, and we're not using any XTS electronics), component boards for the HID lighting, and on and on and on. 

Oh well. You eat the pachyderm one bite at a time.B)

I hope you will post pics of that car when you guys are done with it, it should be pretty fantastic!

A too busy retirement at times irks me like today I came home from therapy, then I called the hospital to book an MRI and also have to go in 1 hour early for an X-ray. Then I had to make a doctors appointment and also line a place to get a shingles shot tomorrow. Staying healthy can be tiresome at times. I shouldn't complain though, at least I'm not bored.

Remember the hype over Al Capone's sealed vault?

Weeks and weeks of build up?

Live on national TV, an empty vault.

What a maroon.....................

G

I remember seeing that around 6th or 7th grade when it happened. 

You have to admit, it would've been cool if something was in there.

Charlie Larkin

Camera fell off of desk and broke the 70-300mm Lens that was on it, that I just got back from Nikon repair ~3 weeks ago.....................

that would not only make for a Bad moment also for a Bad day Sorry that had to happen to you ??

Tried to watch the film "Deuce Coupe" from 1992 on yootoob. S'posed to be a 1957 or '58 period piece, but all the cars are late '70s style. Other anachronisms like an electronic siren on the police car, street rides running low 12-second quarter-mile times, etc. almost as annoying. 

Too bad. I could have overlooked a completely dorky plot and insipid music.