Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

No, you can even get a lot of Mondays when you're retired also.

I figured. I never said you COULDN'T have bad days, regardless of your work status.:blink:..... You have more time to watch the circus that is the work a day world. The major difference being you did your bit. Your free. well maybe from the 9-5 part anyway.:D

Edited by bismarck

Lemme tell you about Thursday....

I knew this would be the last day of the year that I'd have to actually go to the office.  I'm working from home the rest of the year. May be attending a few Skype meetings, writing some purchase orders and otherwise I expect people to disappear.  So I went to a company location that's a two hour ride for some meetings.  Had a nice lunch with peers and then discovered it was raining cats and dogs.  Of course this is the location where you park outside the gate and then walk into the facility... probably about a half mile from the building to my car and I didn't have an umbrella.  So now I'm soaking wet.  But I am headed home, so I settle in for a long hopefully uneventful ride.

I get down the highway to a section that is always stop and go.  Bad traffic patterns.  So I decide to stop at Hobby Lobby since I'm passing it.  There is no good way to get into this store. I'm headed south and it's on the northbound side of the highway. Both sides are stopped dead so you are not going down to the next intersection to do a U turn. That could be a half hour!  So I head into the mall behind it.  The lots aren't really attached, but there is a dirt path that cars have created. I go through it and park close to the store.

Inside I find that they have all kits on sale 25% off.  That means the 40% off coupon is void on them because it's not valid on sale items. I even argued once about giving me 40% off their list, but nope.  And I really didn't need anything they had anyway.  I needed glue, so I grab that and go to look at the meager offering of stamp collector supplies.  An older lady walks up and asks me if I can help her.  She wants to buy a small gift for her friend's husband who is a stamp collector.  I help her pick out some stamp mount supplies which everyone uses, since everything else they offer is more for kids.  I feel good that I helped someone and a fellow collector.

I get back to the car and plan on heading back the way I came into the lot.  I look and some idiot has parked in front of the dirt path!  Oblivious that this is the access between the lots.  It's my only way back without getting stuck in stopped traffic for at least a mile.  I think I can squeeze past it and I didn't see a rough edge of curb sticking out (it is dark and raining). I hear myself hit this and suddenly the sound of a flat tire. Crud!

I think I have a bit of luck when I realize I have a flat tire in the Firestone Tire Store parking lot. So I walk up to the store and ask them to change my tire.  The idiot behind the counter tells me they are too busy to help me in any way.  I pull out my Firestone Tire credit card to show him I'm a customer. That changes nothing.  So I tell him I'll never buy anything from Firestone ever again and will write the home office about this experience. He is unfazed.

I go out to the car and call AAA road service. They tell me that due to unprecedented demand, they cannot give me any estimate of time, probably more than TWO friggin hours.  I yell at them, hang up and go about changing the tire in the friggin rain, in the dark!  I don't expect this to go well with the puny Chrysler supplied jack. I struggle to get the darn plastic hubcap off the Breeze. It's on there like glue. I finally decide I don't care if I break it in half and manhandle it until it gives.  I am now anticipating that the lugs have been welded on by the last guy who rotated the tires, but they are surprisingly easy.  I finish up and now I'm wet, tired, dirty and I have to go to the bathroom.

As I ready to leave I see a person headed to the offending car, parked smack in the middle of the driveway. My first thought is to go pounce on this idiot but I see it's just some young clueless girl.  So I just drive away. 

I stop at McDonalds and use their restroom. I wash up and decide I am thirsty and that after all that I deserve a large vanilla shake. So I go up to the counter and after two indecisive girls banter about what they want to order while the counter guy and I wait, it's my turn.  I tell the guy, "I want one large vanilla shake without whipped cream or cherry".   He looks at me and repeats back  "Three shakes?  What flavor?"   Numpty has hit me on the wrong day.  I yell at him "ONE large vanilla shake. NO whipped cream or cherry!!"  He's unfazed and says, "Okay one vanilla shake... what size?"  I yell back "LARGE,  I've said it twice already!"  He smiles and says, "I just want to make sure I get it right.  Do you want whipped cream?" I'm done at this point. "NO, NO, NO!  And no friggin cherry either."  He takes my money and scampers off to find a shake for me.  The lady behind me witnessed this entire encounter and  is laughing hysterically. I look at her and burst out laughing myself.   

Now I'm driving on the Turnpike with my vanilla shake, with whipped cream and a cherry.  I was hoping to relax and enjoy my drink but all the way home I'm wondering what will go wrong next!  Will that spare go flat? Will the car die?  I know I'm in the Twilight Zone and anything could happen.  I fortunate that traffic has let up and I sail home without further incident. Thankfully.

So that was the end of my work year!  

I've had many, many days that felt like that, Tom. I hear you loud and clear.

Enjoy your Christmas and New Year's break. You've certainly earned it after that day. 

Just got me to thinking, McDonald's old "You deserve a break today" ad campaign. Sounds like that zit-faced kid is lucky he didn't get a break- arm, leg, neck.....

Numpty....I like that. I'm going to remember that one.

Charlie Larkin

Morons on Facebook arguing that "Mahn's better 'n yern!" on a brand vehicle post. Maybe "Irked" is too strong of a word for it,maybe "aggervatedly amuzed by" is better :P 

Wishing alla you a happy holiday season,guys! :D

I don't understand this at all. What is "Mahn's better 'n yern!" even mean? Another reason I say away from Facebook?

The person driving in the vehicle in front of me with at least 3 or 4 empty car lengths in front of them applies their brakes as he/she is nearing an intersection with stoplights, and the light is GREEN. What's up with that?

approaching a stale green light with caution is defensive driving. perhaps they're not wanting to be T-boned by someone coming through a red light?

Yup, one of my favorite moves too.  And the fool who keeps at least 2 car lengths in front of him when he's stopped.

Then there's the monkey-morons who signal for a turn because the car in front of them is signalling, but go straight and turn off the signal when the lead car turns. Who taught them that little bit of stupidity?

because 30 - 40 feet closer to your destination will make your life better? just set the alarm clock 20 seconds earlier and you've acted positively rather that raised your blood pressure. keep your windows rolled up at the stop light so you're not harassed by all season tire salesmen and you should be okay.

approaching a stale green light with caution is defensive driving. perhaps they're not wanting to be T-boned by someone coming through a red light?

Agreed.  Once my light has turned green, I usually watch to make sure the opposing vehicles actually are coming to a stop.  This past summer I hesitated starting out and a car blasted through the intersection at 50-60 without braking.  I don't know what that clown was thinking, but if I had just hit my gas when the light turned green, he may have driven straight through my car!

About a year ago there was a similar accident at an intersection on the same highway a mile up the road.  A pickup truck blew through the red light and caught a Dodge Caravan with a family of four, killing three of them.

Edited by Tom Geiger

because 30 - 40 feet closer to your destination will make your life better? 

No...it's because if EVERY timid little moron tweeting or texting on his mobile device left 2 or three car lengths between himself and the next car when stopped, traffic jams would be three or 4 times longer, and nobody would ever get home from work.  ;)

Today is day 49 that a local (very high rated) body shop has had our wife's FJ Cruiser in the shop (after a 68 year old man had t-boned her while blowing through a stop sign while texting no less),and though it's getting closer,it's still not finished...it only needed about 20 hours worth of labor (plus paint--I did that kinda work for several years between the Army and trucking),4 bolt-on parts (control arm,fender,door,and wheel since the original was scarred horribly cosmetically)...I told em I was done with their BS excuses,that if it wasn't done by tomorrow eve (their last day open for a while),that "at the start of business Monday,I'll be in my lawyer's office taking legal action" :angry: (coincidently,this kinda "pleased me today"...about 20 minutes ago,got a call from them saying "it will be done by 4pm,our top body man is staying late tonight until it's sprayed,we'll bake the paint..."--I hate that that older guy has to stay late like that,but they had 49 days already)

Today is day 49 that a local (very high rated) body shop has had our wife's FJ Cruiser in the shop (after a 68 year old man had t-boned her while blowing through a stop sign while texting no less),and though it's getting closer,it's still not finished...it only needed about 20 hours worth of labor (plus paint--I did that kinda work for several years between the Army and trucking),4 bolt-on parts (control arm,fender,door,and wheel since the original was scarred horribly cosmetically)...I told em I was done with their BS excuses,that if it wasn't done by tomorrow eve (their last day open for a while),that "at the start of business Monday,I'll be in my lawyer's office taking legal action" :angry: (coincidently,this kinda "pleased me today"...about 20 minutes ago,got a call from them saying "it will be done by 4pm,our top body man is staying late tonight until it's sprayed,we'll bake the paint..."--I hate that that older guy has to stay late like that,but they had 49 days already)

That's all 49 days? A few years ago my buddy got into an accident out of state, and the body shop took 'bout 8 weeks to complete the repairs. My buddy shoulda harped on his insurance adjuster to speed things up a bit. In 8 weeks I could order a new vehicle and have it delivered.

That's all 49 days? A few years ago my buddy got into an accident out of state, and the body shop took 'bout 8 weeks to complete the repairs. My buddy shoulda harped on his insurance adjuster to speed things up a bit. In 8 weeks I could order a new vehicle and have it delivered.

I know you're right! I used to do that work for a few years (had this not been a not-at-fault accident/insurance thing,I woulda fixed this myself),they literally had between 15 and 25 hours of work to do,had all the parts* in within the 1st 2 weeks.....sigh

*all but 1 window trim piece,which should be in today,but we're getting it back even if not,and we'll go pick it up when it does actually come in if not today

Last year my Dodge Grand Caravan spit it's transmission.  My garage guy sent it to a local transmission shop who kept it 90 days!  These people were insane and it's amazing that they are in business.  Twice they promised the van by Friday.  One time they said the mechanic had it out on a test ride and they'd call me in an hour to pick it up.  Then they kept it another 45 days!   The idiot had the balls to tell me that whenever a commercial vehicle came in, they'd put the regular cars aside and get that one done since someone was depending on that vehicle to earn a living.  Forget that I needed that van to go to work to earn my living!

Last year my Dodge Grand Caravan spit it's transmission.  My garage guy sent it to a local transmission shop who kept it 90 days!  These people were insane and it's amazing that they are in business.  Twice they promised the van by Friday.  One time they said the mechanic had it out on a test ride and they'd call me in an hour to pick it up.  Then they kept it another 45 days!   The idiot had the balls to tell me that whenever a commercial vehicle came in, they'd put the regular cars aside and get that one done since someone was depending on that vehicle to earn a living.  Forget that I needed that van to go to work to earn my living!

90 Days? Wow, that's a lot as I just had a trans rebuild a few weeks ago and they kept the car for three weeks. Of course I was in no hurry for it.

I had one done in a week many years ago!

Which is all a trans rebuild SHOULD take, if the shop has a clue as to what they're doing. I guess the days are gone when real transmission shops had replacement, already-rebuilt units sitting on the shelf, ready to plug in. Still, though an automatic trans IS a complex piece of kit, it's just mechanical bits that come apart and go back together the same way. Clean stuff, measure stuff, replace stuff, reassemble. Not reinventing rockets, brain surgery or even the wheel.