Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
LokisTyro

What Irked You Today?

Recommended Posts

Yes I got "welder's flash" back in the early 70's and I woke up not being able to see. I remember my wife and mom taking me to the hospital, but that's all and it scared the heck out of me. Luckily I was able to see again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 11:57 AM, Jim N said:

One of my wife's uncles was informed he has a aggressive form of cancer and does not have much time left. His kids are already fighting over the inheritance, and there is a will.  I should be surprised, but for some reason I am not.  However, it does sadden me greatly. 

My mother died unexpectedly of a stroke and my cousin asked for a 'memento' of her aunt but specifically asked for jewelry.  Mom never really wore jewelry as she was a beautician!  She probably would have pawned it on the way home.  I haven't spoken with any of mom's family since she passed nine years ago as I asked him to call my Dad just to say hi as this was hitting him HARD and NOT A ONE of them did!

Dad died a year ago.  In spite of being local, NONE of three brothers bothered to come to the nursing home in the last 30 hours of his life when Hospice said this was it.  It didn't stop the one from asking me after the services not to sell the antique sewing machine table that was their grandfathers as he would take it.  I haven't spoken with any of them in a year either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing what the thought of getting something brings out in people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was cruising the forum this morning when I heard something hit the trailer. Since we are surrounded by trees I just thought a branch had fallen. No big deal. Turns out I was right. But this time it fell through the roof and put a hole in the bathroom ceiling. Called the landlord but the only time they care is if they don't get the rent on time. Had to buy a ladder and spent the rest of the day tarping the roof. What a fun way to spend a Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Was cruising the forum this morning when I heard something hit the trailer. Since we are surrounded by trees I just thought a branch had fallen. No big deal. Turns out I was right. But this time it fell through the roof and put a hole in the bathroom ceiling. Called the landlord but the only time they care is if they don't get the rent on time. Had to buy a ladder and spent the rest of the day tarping the roof. What a fun way to spend a Saturday.

Does the trailer belong to you or to the landlord?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, High octane said:

Does the trailer belong to you or to the landlord?

Landlord, but they say I have to pay first $800.00 in repairs. Live on SS and disability and the floors have holes all through the house. Trailer is a piece of junk and not worth repairing. Reminds me of the story of a guy who takes his car to be repaired. Mechanic says problem is radiator cap. Needs to be removed and a new car driven under it. Office doesn"t open till Monday so we will see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So move to a different place.  You pay rent so why would you also pay for repairs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

So move to a different place.  You pay rent so why would you also pay for repairs?

Have another place but it won't be ready for six months. Have four dogs so not easy to find a place that takes dogs, let alone four. Rent now is $550.00. Everything else I find is at least $800.00 a month and being on SS and disability money is tight. Will know more Monday. I know everything will work out, it always does. Things only seem bad but it always leads to something better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I decided to organize my shed that I use for building my lawnmowers and when everything was outside it started to rain so now some of my stuff is wet and I just shoved all my stuff back in there and need to go through it again.  

Another thing that irked me today is that I seen that this thread has over 7,000 post and the what pleasesed you today thread has less than half. So why dose everyone have to be so Irked all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In answer to your question 'bout people being irked all the time, it is because many people are not grateful for what they already have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 426 pack said:

...So why dose everyone have to be so Irked all the time. 

1 hour ago, High octane said:

In answer to your question 'bout people being irked all the time, it is because many people are not grateful for what they already have.

 

Actually, it's mostly because the world is full of people whose net contribution to life is negative: greedy landlords and relatives, phone scammers, thieving companies that produce and market dangerous "safety" equipment, "engineers" who have no right to the title, friends and lovers who lie and take advantage of you, etc. When you've been on the planet a little longer, you'll realize that greedy folks, cheats, liars and just plain IDIOTS are always ruining everything, and at some point, it gets hard to keep smiling (unless you're an idiot too). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 10:59 PM, russosborne said:

on that note,

Sorry Bill, that was just too good an opportunity to pass up.:lol:

Russ

Um,,,ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Actually, it's mostly because the world is full of people whose net contribution to life is negative: greedy landlords and relatives, phone scammers, thieving companies that produce and market dangerous "safety" equipment, "engineers" who have no right to the title, friends and lovers who lie and take advantage of you, etc. When you've been on the planet a little longer, you'll realize that greedy folks, cheats, liars and just plain IDIOTS are always ruining everything, and at some point, it gets hard to keep smiling (unless you're an idiot too). 

My thought is if they can live with it then I can live without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 8:11 AM, Renegade said:

Have another place but it won't be ready for six months. Have four dogs so not easy to find a place that takes dogs, let alone four. Rent now is $550.00. Everything else I find is at least $800.00 a month and being on SS and disability money is tight. Will know more Monday. I know everything will work out, it always does. Things only seem bad but it always leads to something better.

Things will get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to take a short road trip for a business meeting today, and was irked by all the construction barrels placed along the highway for miles and lower speed limits adding a lot more time to get to my destination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

In Canada, we have a joke about the seasons. We have two: winter and construction.

 

Well, the small town I live in is takeing that seriously this year. 

First, they start construction on a major north/south road last summer. However, they forgot to get a permit from CN Rail when it came to work around the tracks, so that has been delayed for a year now, effectively cutting a subdivision off from the rest of the town. So that road is supposed to be done by fall.

Now CN Rail has said they are twinning the tracks through town. Which will affect the four north-south roads the tracks cross.

The main north/south road is being widdened and repaved this summer and next spring.

One of the main east/west roads is also being widened and repaved. So from where my subdivision is, three of the four main access roads are being completely redone.

Let's take on literally EVERY major road project at the same time.

 

Will be nice when done, but it's going to be a frustrating summer.

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My construction irk of late is this... over the last 2 years the city I live in has dug up the road to redo all of the water and sewer lines, they would dig up a section, replace the pipes, then patch it, and move on.  Winter wasn't kind to their patching efforts and the road became the equivalent of the moon's surface.  They finally repaved the whole thing last fall as the asphalt plant was shutting down.  Things were great, but now the local gas utility has decided the gas lines need replacing, so the whole thing has started over.  I dont understand why this couldn't have all been done as one coordinated effort, not to mention the whole question of whether or not they will repave the whole street again, and who gets to flip the bill for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

 

In Canada, we have a joke about the seasons. We have two: winter and construction.

 

Well, the small town I live in is takeing that seriously this year. 

First, they start construction on a major north/south road last summer. However, they forgot to get a permit from CN Rail when it came to work around the tracks, so that has been delayed for a year now, effectively cutting a subdivision off from the rest of the town. So that road is supposed to be done by fall.

Now CN Rail has said they are twinning the tracks through town. Which will affect the four north-south roads the tracks cross.

The main north/south road is being widdened and repaved this summer and next spring.

One of the main east/west roads is also being widened and repaved. So from where my subdivision is, three of the four main access roads are being completely redone.

Let's take on literally EVERY major road project at the same time.

 

Will be nice when done, but it's going to be a frustrating summer.

  

 

I know what you mean. It is the same thing in BC they are never done fixing the roads and they like to take there time doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris02719 said:

My construction irk of late is this... over the last 2 years the city I live in has dug up the road to redo all of the water and sewer lines, they would dig up a section, replace the pipes, then patch it, and move on.  Winter wasn't kind to their patching efforts and the road became the equivalent of the moon's surface.  They finally repaved the whole thing last fall as the asphalt plant was shutting down.  Things were great, but now the local gas utility has decided the gas lines need replacing, so the whole thing has started over.  I dont understand why this couldn't have all been done as one coordinated effort, not to mention the whole question of whether or not they will repave the whole street again, and who gets to flip the bill for it.

Chris, you are absolutely right.  This happens in our city all too often.  The utility comes through jackhammers the hole, they fill it, and within a year the area that they tore up starts to sink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 10:13 AM, HomerS said:

My mother died unexpectedly of a stroke and my cousin asked for a 'memento' of her aunt but specifically asked for jewelry.  Mom never really wore jewelry as she was a beautician!  She probably would have pawned it on the way home.  I haven't spoken with any of mom's family since she passed nine years ago as I asked him to call my Dad just to say hi as this was hitting him HARD and NOT A ONE of them did!

Dad died a year ago.  In spite of being local, NONE of three brothers bothered to come to the nursing home in the last 30 hours of his life when Hospice said this was it.  It didn't stop the one from asking me after the services not to sell the antique sewing machine table that was their grandfathers as he would take it.  I haven't spoken with any of them in a year either.

Jeff, thanks for sharing.  I had a former co-worker who would say that family members will screw each other over and never show the least bit of remorse.  He was applying the brush a little too broadly, but it seems to certainly apply in a number of cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris02719 said:

My construction irk of late is this... over the last 2 years the city I live in has dug up the road to redo all of the water and sewer lines, they would dig up a section, replace the pipes, then patch it, and move on.  Winter wasn't kind to their patching efforts and the road became the equivalent of the moon's surface.  They finally repaved the whole thing last fall as the asphalt plant was shutting down.  Things were great, but now the local gas utility has decided the gas lines need replacing, so the whole thing has started over.  I dont understand why this couldn't have all been done as one coordinated effort, not to mention the whole question of whether or not they will repave the whole street again, and who gets to flip the bill for it.

Your answer is in your message when you mentioned one coordinated effort. LOL! You've got to be kidding as coordination between gas, company, sewer/ water company, paving company, just ain't gonna happen. The suits or department heads don't want to work, they just want their paychecks or salary and they don't really care how many times the same road is town up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 12:05 PM, chris02719 said:

My construction irk of late is this... over the last 2 years the city I live in has dug up the road to redo all of the water and sewer lines, they would dig up a section, replace the pipes, then patch it, and move on.  Winter wasn't kind to their patching efforts and the road became the equivalent of the moon's surface.  They finally repaved the whole thing last fall as the asphalt plant was shutting down.  Things were great, but now the local gas utility has decided the gas lines need replacing, so the whole thing has started over.  I dont understand why this couldn't have all been done as one coordinated effort, not to mention the whole question of whether or not they will repave the whole street again, and who gets to flip the bill for it.

I notice this happening often, in many towns.  It would make perfect sense to coordinate the utility works on the same street, then repave it once after the work is complete.  You figure with everything and everybody connected on the internet, this would be easy to do. But no, I suppose the excuse is that each company's work schedule depends on the crew availability and their budget.  It sucks, but it will probably keep on happening.

Or, similar situation is that they recently repaved a stretch of highway where the pavement was still in great shape. Seems like such a waste of money where other parts of the same highway, or even many local roads are in very poor condition, full of ruts and potholes.   Again, the bureaucracy is likely the reason for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered one of those Testors 1/43 32 Ford kits on ebay. Had a couple before and they were pretty cool. I planned on stripping this one and repainting it. Anyway, the auction claimed it was new and sealed. I got it today and it was not sealed which was not a big deal to me but it was missing the metal grill shell. Bummer. Ebay will help me out if the seller won't. Still a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...