Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
LokisTyro

What Irked You Today?

Recommended Posts

Sprayed Testors white on a short track racer yesterday and took a look at it today and realized it was FLAT white. My fault for not paying attention to that little sticker they put on the cap these days. It was already opened and I just grabbed it. btw, there is no ball inside the can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Sprayed Testors white on a short track racer yesterday and took a look at it today and realized it was FLAT white. My fault for not paying attention to that little sticker they put on the cap these days. It was already opened and I just grabbed it. btw, there is no ball inside the can.

Oh well, you've now got a coat of flat white primer on it. Might actually be to your advantage. Drive on! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A coat of white primer came to mind. Also thought about a clear coat but it might make it too shiny? It's just going to be a '55 Chevy short oval racer and I don't want it looking real nice. Probably will just spray some gloss white and call it good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

image.png.21a859030f904a51766e18584c764917.png

Here's two examples of primer as a final color... above Ranchero was primed with Duplicolor white primer, then the doors were masked off while the rest of the car got Duplicolor black.  I applied the decals and then gave the entire car a clear coat.  This worked out very well.

 

image.png.eecd0d60214789f80b8b6c9999d30245.png

This one was build for the 24 Hour Build.  I had primed the entire vehicle with Duplicolor primer gray.  As I reached for gray paints that weren't exactly right, it dawned on me.  The primer was already the color I wanted.   So I just gave it a Tamiya clear coat.  

Just food for thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

The thought of trying to read over 9500 previous replies to this thread?

I thought you were exaggerating but I did the math and darned if you're not right! :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I thought you were exaggerating but I did the math and darned if you're not right! :blink:

The ONCE UPON A TIME thread has outgrown even this one. But I never felt compelled to post there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 2:56 PM, Tom Geiger said:

 

image.png.21a859030f904a51766e18584c764917.png

Here's two examples of primer as a final color... above Ranchero was primed with Duplicolor white primer, then the doors were masked off while the rest of the car got Duplicolor black.  I applied the decals and then gave the entire car a clear coat.  This worked out very well.

 

image.png.eecd0d60214789f80b8b6c9999d30245.png

This one was build for the 24 Hour Build.  I had primed the entire vehicle with Duplicolor primer gray.  As I reached for gray paints that weren't exactly right, it dawned on me.  The primer was already the color I wanted.   So I just gave it a Tamiya clear coat.  

Just food for thought.

Tom, I cleared some Tamiya white primer with One Coat Clear lacquer best looking white so I use it for white now. Primer is really a color..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This little guy shot out of my #9 cylinder on my truck yesterday on my way to work. I’m a little upset but it’s not completely unexpected on a Ford triton motor with 330000 km (about 200000 miles). 

EF48222F-AFBF-45E4-8992-016021841384.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped by Lowe's today and picked up a shop light fixture.When I got home,I took it out of box and saw it was missing the socket piece that the bulbs go into.there were 3 in place on unit and 1 missing.

Now,I have to go back and return it and get another one.this is their fault and no quality control.

They should give me something for the trouble,but,I am sure that is not going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 426 pack said:

This little guy shot out of my #9 cylinder on my truck yesterday on my way to work. I’m a little upset but it’s not completely unexpected on a Ford triton motor with 330000 km (about 200000 miles). 

EF48222F-AFBF-45E4-8992-016021841384.jpeg

Ouch!

How does a spark plug shoot out of the cylinder head with no apparent thread damage?  It just slowly unscrews itself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, peteski said:

Ouch!

How does a spark plug shoot out of the cylinder head with no apparent thread damage?  It just slowly unscrews itself?

I’m not 100% shure yet how it came out. Ot isn’t uncommon for a triton ford motor to shot a spark plug out due to the aluminum heads with not much threads for the spark plug. I have only had the truck for 1-1/2 years and when I bought it it had just got all the plugs done but I have heard that some times people can’t get the back two plugs torqued and will come loss and thread itself out (I’m hoping that that’s all it is)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The early Triton engines had that problem, i think it is fixed on the never ones.
The heads have only about 3-4 threads for the sparkplug and if they are not torqued just once, its just a matter of time before it blows out the plugs.
There are repairkits for it on Ebay for alot of $$$ or you can just use a helicoil and do basically the same as those kits does for almost nothing.
If you go the helicoil rout you dont have to remove the head, just make sure that the piston in that cylinder is in top dead center, it will be easier to clean out any metalshavings that fall in to the cylinder.

But it could be worse, you just had one plug shoot out.
One i know had an Excursion with the v10 and that one blew out 4 of its plugs almost at the same time and oblitteraded the coilpacks + dented the hood and here in Sweden those coilpacks is about $150-$250 each.
Hood is probably dented still as that was impossible to get at a decent price even at the junkyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHAT IRKED ME TODAY:  driving to & from a particular Boston hospital... dropped off, later picked up my boyfriend in there. 

I decided to reset his odometer (that's right, I told him I was using HIS gas this time) and from the house to the hospital, 7.1 miles.  Picking him up (while illegally parked) took less than 5 minutes.  Then 7.1 miles back home.  Took us a hair over an hour to go 14 miles.   The REALLY slow traffic was juuuuuust kicking in about 2 miles from home, at a whopping 3:15PM..............

... if I was good at math I would average my MPH out... and other than the very end it was a "quick" drive.

SIDE NOTE:  about 1/4 of that ride is the same as going to/from our mechanic, and that ride has taken us 90 minutes... to go LESS than 7.1 miles...

MORAL OF THE STORY:  if you are thinking of moving to the Boston area for work or school, you better have a LOT of patience because every year traffic gets worse and worse... oh, and so do the drivers... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may not irk anyone else but it bugs me. While watching BJ auction I dislike when they say something like " This is the engine this car was BORN with ". Not sure why it irks me but it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was the last day of support for Windows 7 from TinyLimp.

Win7 was not broken, still works just fine for everything, but in order to be relatively safe online from the countless security holes TinyLimp always leaves in their operating systems, I was forced to "upgrade" finally.

It's the same as if you had a car that ran just fine, but after it was 10 years old, could only be driven back and forth in the driveway, never again on the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screwed up and tripped over equpment at the gym I just recently joined, which was 110% my fault and I'm irritated at myself for doing so. What also irritates me is that I went down HARD on my left leg then banged my right leg and arm hard enough that I'm expecting bruising on those and hoping to not need a visit to Urgent Care for my left leg and knee when they open tomorrow, but not one person there asked me if I was ok or needed anything, even just a hand getting off the floor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yesterday was the last day of support for Windows 7 from TinyLimp.

Win7 was not broken, still works just fine for everything, but in order to be relatively safe online from the countless security holes TinyLimp always leaves in their operating systems, I was forced to "upgrade" finally.

It's the same as if you had a car that ran just fine, but after it was 10 years old, could only be driven back and forth in the driveway, never again on the road. 

I have not let mine finish upgrading yet. Don’t know if  will. I used windows xp forever after thy stoped supporting it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 5:03 PM, cobraman said:

This may not irk anyone else but it bugs me. While watching BJ auction I dislike when they say something like " This is the engine this car was BORN with ". Not sure why it irks me but it does.

I have also been watching the  show. Another even dumber remark from one of the talking heads explaining the term "Lead Sled" saying it originated from doing a chopped top on a particular  car on the auction block. While it was true that lead was used on this particular car he failed to mention the major body work done on the fenders and grill area of the vehicle. His explanation implied that the name came from just having the top chopped and failing to point out all of the major alterations done on the body.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, espo said:

I have also been watching the  show. Another even dumber remark from one of the talking heads explaining the term "Lead Sled" saying it originated from doing a chopped top on a particular  car on the auction block. While it was true that lead was used on this particular car he failed to mention the major body work done on the fenders and grill area of the vehicle. His explanation implied that the name came from just having the top chopped and failing to point out all of the major alterations done on the body.  

When I was a kid, "lead sled" referred to any big, heavy, and (especially) SLOW car, modified or not. But I admit we might not have been using it correctly. :unsure:

"Hey, you're driving your Mom's Impala. Sweet! Doesn't that have a 327 in it?" 

"Yeah, but it's still basically a lead sled." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

When I was a kid, "lead sled" referred to any big, heavy, and (especially) SLOW car, modified or not. But I admit we might not have been using it correctly. :unsure:

"Hey, you're driving your Mom's Impala. Sweet! Doesn't that have a 327 in it?" 

"Yeah, but it's still basically a lead sled." 

One of those terms that got perverted over time, like "lakes pipes".

I was there. As espo implied, it's from the '50s and referred specifically to cars with heavily leaded custom bodywork...more often than not in dark gray "hot rod" primer, as it was a whole lot easier to repair when poorly-adhering leadwork done wrong in the back yard fell off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 12:19 PM, 426 pack said:

This little guy shot out of my #9 cylinder on my truck yesterday on my way to work. I’m a little upset but it’s not completely unexpected on a Ford triton motor with 330000 km (about 200000 miles). 

By the looks of all that soot it had been leaking for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 5:03 PM, cobraman said:

This may not irk anyone else but it bugs me. While watching BJ auction I dislike when they say something like " This is the engine this car was BORN with ". Not sure why it irks me but it does.

I am so tired of hearing the here comes the Judge on ever GTO Judge that comes across the block. The guys do a good job in my opinion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 7:35 PM, peteski said:

The ONCE UPON A TIME thread has outgrown even this one. But I never felt compelled to post there.

Gotta love it! 🤣

Went to get copies, drove the pickup, when I pulled in to park, had to swing wide to avoid a car parked on the dividing line, but parked in the center of my diagonal space.  When I came out, saw a napkin on my dash (window was down) with writing:
YOU PARKED TOO CLOSE TO MY CAR, I CAN'T GET IN IF I NEEDED TO LEAVE.
I went back in, wrote on the other side of napkin:
YOU ARE ON THE WHITE LINE, THAT WOULD GET YOU A TICKET.  NOT MY PROBLEM.  LEARN HOW TO PARK.
Put under the windshield wiper.  Wish I took pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...