Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I just realized, this is the time of year I SHOULD be enjoying Battlebots every Friday night on Discovery Channel. :angry: Instead, they're giving us stop-gap programming about the Gold Miners, and about how they're NOT mining gold yet this year, what they're doing instead of mining gold, how much they want to get back to mining gold etc etc etc. I wonder how long they can milk this? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

YAHOO scam email, got my account hacked.  I'm sick with COVID1984, can't get out of house i have nephew get american express gift card send now help think you.

I love how Yahoo! made their logo so simple, they didn't think about security with that new look.  But I'm still an idiot.

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

YAHOO scam email, got my account hacked.  I'm sick with COVID1984, can't get out of house i have nephew get american express gift card send now help think you.

I love how Yahoo! made their logo so simple, they didn't think about security with that new look.  But I'm still an idiot.

Sorry to hear that yo got hacked - that sucks.  But I'm not sure what you mean about the logo being easy.  A logo is usually a bitmap (picture) that can easily be copied into any email to make it look official. They can even use the logo directly from the company's website.  Not Just Yahoo.  Here are some logos from various companies that I simply posted here by using the URL of those logos:

yahoo_frontpage_en-US_s_f_p_205x58_front

pp64.png

fxxj3ttftm5ltcqnto1o4baovyl.png

Or the bad people can just go to each website, do a screen capture, then crop the logo and add it to a scam email.  This is all easy stuff for them to do. I wouldn't blame yahoo for what the scammers do.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Sorry to hear that yo got hacked - that sucks.  But I'm not sure what you mean about the logo being easy.  A logo is usually a bitmap (picture) that can easily be copied into any email to make it look official. They can even use the logo directly from the company's website.  Not Just Yahoo.  Here are some logos from various companies that I simply posted here by using the URL of those logos:

yahoo_frontpage_en-US_s_f_p_205x58_front

pp64.png

fxxj3ttftm5ltcqnto1o4baovyl.png

Or the bad people can just go to each website, do a screen capture, then crop the logo and add it to a scam email.  This is all easy stuff for them to do. I wouldn't blame yahoo for what the scammers do.

Thanks, didn't know it was so easy.  Several years ago spotted a slightly different Safari logo, so knew it was hackers.  Anyway, I better update my profile here......

8 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Thanks, didn't know it was so easy.  Several years ago spotted a slightly different Safari logo, so knew it was hackers.  Anyway, I better update my profile here......

Yes, the logos on company websites are usually images stored in a PNG format.  If someone actually took the time to design their own (and yet, slightly flawed) version of a logo, they were not very smart hackers.  Another way to get logos is to do a Google search for any logo (either in a bitmap or vector format).

I recently had a phishing email, supposedly from Yahoo asking me to log into the new version of their mail reader.  It looked legit, but if you hovered over the various links or buttons looking like they were pointing to yahoo, they were actually pointing to other (illegitimate) website.  No  way I was going to click on them, so they can ask me for my user name and password! 

Not sure who deserves the blame here.  I needed some P/E parts and every source I tried was out of what I wanted except an Ebay hobby products dealer in Canada (stsupply).  I placed an order on 5/25/2020 and the order showed shipped via Canada Post the day after. 

It is now nearly 3 weeks since, and I have yet to receive my stuff.  Apparently the means of shipping wasn't trackable in Canada, and once it reached the US, I assume it's continuing its journey via regular USPS (letter), also non-trackable.  

The vendor has a great rating, and says it's probably the USPS's fault.  All I know is I paid for stuff that seems to be permanently lost.    

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Not sure who deserves the blame here.  I needed some P/E parts and every source I tried was out of what I wanted except an Ebay hobby products dealer in Canada (stsupply).  I placed an order on 5/25/2020 and the order showed shipped via Canada Post the day after. 

It is now nearly 3 weeks since, and I have yet to receive my stuff.  Apparently the means of shipping wasn't trackable in Canada, and once it reached the US, I assume it's continuing its journey via regular USPS (letter), also non-trackable.  

The vendor has a great rating, and says it's probably the USPS's fault.  All I know is I paid for stuff that seems to be permanently lost.    

theres a massive backlog of post in most countries just now with so many borders closed. it will turn up but there are loads of delays especially if it has to go through customs

3 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

75 quid shipping on a set of 4 resin wheels or 65 to ship one kit

Yeah, I've heard other horror stories about Canada Post's outrageous shipping prices.  The shipping on mine, however, was very reasonable, which is why I assume they sent the P/E frets in some type of envelope instead of a box.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Yeah, I've heard other horror stories about Canada Post's outrageous shipping prices.  The shipping on mine, however, was very reasonable, which is why I assume they sent the P/E frets in some type of envelope instead of a box.

this was from the usa to uk on ebay, it was 20 quid last time i ordered. i can get a real car wheel sent for less

53 minutes ago, Monty said:

...It is now nearly 3 weeks since, and I have yet to receive my stuff.  Apparently the means of shipping wasn't trackable in Canada, and once it reached the US, I assume it's continuing its journey via regular USPS (letter), also non-trackable... 

It took over nine weeks to get a small packet from Japan, the same size that normally arrives in about 10 days. And like yours, wasn't trackable once it reached the States. It had also been sitting in limbo at the Japanese accepting PO for several weeks prior, and I had started to think it had slipped in a crack somewhere and was lost forever. So don't give up hope.

The lesson seems to be Don't source stuff you need from anywhere outside your own country if it's something that you have to have fairly soon

A number of years ago I ordered some Gunze Sangyo aqueous paint from a shop in Australia (Gunze had withdrawn it from the US).  The paint arrived in a timely manner and the cost of shipping wasn't out of line at all.  I doubt that same situation would play out the same way today.  

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

The lesson seems to be Don't source stuff you need from anywhere outside your own country if it's something that you have to have fairly soon

A number of years ago I ordered some Gunze Sangyo aqueous paint from a shop in Australia (Gunze had withdrawn it from the US).  The paint arrived in a timely manner and the cost of shipping wasn't out of line at all.  I doubt that same situation would play out the same way today.  

shipping from aus to the uk is still reasonable, but that might be more to do with the exchange rate. It just seems shipping from the us is now an extortion game if ebay is involved. I struggle to find the parts i want in the uk

Well that’s it,Once again my new next door neighbor has a tree trimming crew show up at 7:30 am and cuts down the very last tree on their property.????.Now there are 0 trees and 0 bushes on a once pristine,well landscaped ,and well groomed house.And once again,it makes my house look like garbage..Of all the people that could’ve moved in next door,these morons had to move in.AAARRRGGG!!!!?????.You don’t want trees,then move to the Bronx,NYC.

Edited by NYLIBUD

7 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Well that’s it,Once again my new next door neighbor has a tree trimming crew show up at 7:30 am and cuts down the very last tree on their property.????.Now there are 0 trees and 0 bushes on a once pristine,well landscaped ,and well groomed house.And once again,it makes my house look like garbage..Of all the people that could’ve moved in next door,these morons had to move in.AAARRRGGG!!!!?????.You don’t want trees,then move to the Bronx,NYC.

Check with your city console about deed restrictions having to do with trees. Some cities require at least one tree in the front yard and many cities have planted tree close to the street. I could be a violation if they cut down the city's tree. Might be worth a look. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

Check with your city console about deed restrictions having to do with trees. Some cities require at least one tree in the front yard and many cities have planted tree close to the street. I could be a violation if they cut down the city's tree. Might be worth a look. 

Yea but there all gone.Like I said,I mean Jeeze,go live in the city if you don’t want trees.But it’s there house,so I guess they can do what they want.Idk,?

14 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yea but there all gone.Like I said,I mean Jeeze,go live in the city if you don’t want trees.But it’s there house,so I guess they can do what they want.Idk,?

Wait until they get their bill for running the Air Conditioning this summer. Trees provide so much in so many ways that most don't even realize. Not to mention they're much nicer to look at. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

Wait until they get their bill for running the Air Conditioning this summer. Trees provide so much in so many ways that most don't even realize. Not to mention they're much nicer to look at. 

I Couldn't agree with you more.And like I said,wait till the fall when all the leaves from my giant oak(at least I think it’s an oak),on my property,falls all over there front lawn.Have fun raking them up.Morons!!!!