Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Trying to get anything done in this age of incompetence and endless excuses drives me up the friggin wall. Last several big-bucks parts orders I've put in with multiple suppliers have come in unbelievably scrambled. 

Invoice shows the right stuff, packing slip shows the right stuff. What's in the box is from some other planet.

For instance: I ordered enough 72" sticks of annealed stainless 304 5/8" and 1/2" hard line from a well known performance parts supplier to finish the fuel system on the '66 Chevelle, and put some back in stock, as they were the ONLY ones who showed it available any time soon.

Got a buzz from FedEx it was on my porch. Pulled up and saw a smallish square box instead of the normal big mailing tubes the stuff usually comes in.

Packing slip ON THE BOX says it's stainless. I figger they sent me coils instead of sticks...which I can live with if that's all I can get...but it's a little light. Hmmm...

Opened the box, it's 6' of some blue rubber hose that I have exactly zero use for.

Morons. I guess it's just too distracting to see if what you're putting in the box matches what's SUPPOSED to be in the box when you're needing to stay caught up with your social media accounts every minute of every dammed day.

As usual, I have to waste MY OWN TIME straightening out some useless fool's mess, in essence doing his job over for him.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Invoice shows the right stuff, packing slip shows the right stuff. What's in the box is from some other planet.

Ship something rather than nothing.

Is there some strange way that makes their customer service look better?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER
Pewrspellure

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lewis Hamilton...another wildly overpaid celebrity who's now set himself up as some kind of moral arbiter and lecturer.

Just shut up and drive.

Unfortunately these days questioning such hypocritical views from those who look down on us regular folks,

(Lewis has put off singing a new contract in the light that it could ruin his image BTW) is a quick way to get

expelled from any conversation.

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd be on the phone with them TODAY, telling them I want the product I ordered and PAID FOR FED EXed TOMORROW. :angry:

First thing I did was get on the horn with the Customer Excuse Making and Diversion Call Center.

The tubing order was split into three separate FedEx shipments, and nobody knows where the other two are, in spite of the fact that prior to ordering, the website stated the material "would be drop-shipped from the manufacturer on the 12th".

There's other work I can be doing on the project while I wait to see if, when, and what materializes on the other two order units.

But it's screwed my plan and fouled the logistics on the thing, as each step depends on the one before it, and I need what I need to design and fit in-place.

11 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

...questioning...hypocritical views from those who look down on us regular folks...is a quick way to get expelled from any conversation.

As is questioning blathering idiocy, "consensus", outright lies, or saying much of anything involving logic and rationality.

EDIT: ...or objective reality and verifiable science with reams of empirical evidence to back it up.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

21 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Now a  citizen of Switzerland instead of Stevenage UK and when not driving?         Possibly island hopping on his Isle of Man registered private jet aircraft from one tax haven to another and not doing his UK home country's exchequer any favours   All of course legal tax avoidance.  Hamilton is not the only mega rich person doing this.  The UK loses out on billions of pounds in tax each year that could help really improve schools in deprived areas, make much more investment in health care and infrastructure.  Some well known people are quite proud to live in their own country and pay their taxes for the benefit of everyone. Other greedy multi millionaires through legal tax avoidance get to spend it on yet more of their lavish yachts, aircraft and flashy cars etc. Big corporates are just as bad, hiving off profits into offshore accounts by registering their businesses in tax havens like the Cayman Islands and paying a pittance in tax to the countries they milk for their profits.

unfortunatally once this situation is over it will be the poor and sick that gets punished again for the goverments incompetancy. It always is and boris and co will blame someone else like (lava)tories always do.

Unfortunately there is is plenty of greed and stupidity to go around.  There are far to many governments failing to help the people they answer to.  People have the right to be healthy and shouldn't have to worry about having enough found on their table.   The people that are essential to keeping everything seem to be treated the worst. The system will collapse without those people.

I rarely ever got junk email for all the years past but....... When I got Sirius radio a little over a year ago I suddenly have at least 10 a day. I've not signed up with anything else these past couple of years so I'm blaming them. And I hit "block sender" on these every day and every day I still get them.

Booked a moving truck for our cross country move.  We also hired a separate moving firm to load the truck.

The moving guys arrived at 4pm, right on time.  The moving truck (which was meant to arrive at 3.30pm) arrived at...wait for it...7.30pm.

So, we paid 4 guys to stand around for 4 hours to do 30 minutes of work.  

Someone’s gonna need to cover the cost of paying those guys to sit around - and I don’t intend for it to be us.

On the plus side, we weren’t short of space on the empty truck they sent us ?

A50B2B0B-F0BD-4F19-8E2F-BC59EBE16D82.jpeg.8390f5508194550021350b1412d478d7.jpeg
E398E9AA-AB4D-460A-AE71-BD63C6430068.thumb.jpeg.b73082bf78d8adca45abf4fe1e0ca092.jpeg

Edited by CabDriver

So last Friday I went to to PO and sent a box of stuff to my daughter for her upcoming birthday . I paid for priority shipping and it was said to be delivered the following Monday ( yesterday ) . The tracking showed is was delivered but my daughter did not get it . She checked her camera and no delivery ever showed up . It also did not show up today . I insured it but am wondering if it is recorded as delivered do I have a chance of recouping my money ? Daughter is calling her PO tomorrow . 

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Booked a moving truck for our cross country move.  We also hired a separate moving firm to load the truck.

The moving guys arrived at 4pm, right on time.  The moving truck (which was meant to arrive at 3.30pm) arrived at...wait for it...7.30pm.

Someone’s gonna need to cover the cost of paying those guys to sit around - and I don’t intend for it to be us.

At least the delay allowed you to take this lovely photo. With that beautiful sky in the background, this photo looks like it could be an advertisement for the trucking company.

12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

E398E9AA-AB4D-460A-AE71-BD63C6430068.thumb.jpeg.b73082bf78d8adca45abf4fe1e0ca092.jpeg

Great looking pictures and I also like the sky shots. My question, since I have moved cross country before, is why you had to hire separate groups to load and the truck transportation ? We used moving companies and they provided their own loaders and unloaders at each end of the move.   

7 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Haha!  The sky WAS pretty whilst they were loading!

Jim, what part of New York did you live in?    Your forum profile shows you location as New York, NY.  That can't be New York CIty?  Too pleasant looking, and small-town-like.  Looks more like a typical Smalltown, USA, in the '50s.

Edited by peteski

7 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking pictures and I also like the sky shots. My question, since I have moved cross country before, is why you had to hire separate groups to load and the truck transportation ? We used moving companies and they provided their own loaders and unloaders at each end of the move.   

We didn’t have enough stuff for full-service movers to be economical - almost every company we spoke to either didn’t want to move us at all or charged the same as if we were moving a house instead of a small apartment.  It was looking at being $5-7k full service, versus $1300 if we did it the more complex way of having separate movers and a truck that consolidated loads travelling in the same direction.  Now, obviously, when something goes wrong it’s our problem to fix rather than the one company’s, but on balance it was still well worth it for the saving!

4 hours ago, peteski said:

Jim, what part of New York did you live in?    Your forum profile shows you location as New York, NY.  That can't be New York CIty?  Too pleasant looking, and small-town-like.  Looks more like a typical Smalltown, USA, in the '50s.

We’re in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn - about 15 minutes drive north of Coney Island.  It’s a nice, old school neighborhood packed mostly with Italians who have been here for years.  Lots of families - overall a nice little community (and a quick commute into Manhattan - one or two trains and 30 minutes or so to wherever).  We LOVE it here!  Unfortunately, our landlord rented an apartment in our no-kids building to a Moroccan couple who said they had no kids...until they remembered they did have kids as soon as they got the keys.  There’s five people living in a 1 room studio right next door, the Mom is pregnant and the landlord daren’t evict them.  

We put up with their nonsense for 18 months (kids screaming and crying all day and night, the dad beating the Mom, the Mom beating the kids, the cops coming round all the time, mice and roaches coming through their walls into our kitchen, the kids urinating in the hallway, the rotten food smell, all our packages going missing) and decided when he asked for a rent raise this year that he can go talk a walk.  

Funny thing is, the neighbor on the other side of their wall walked out on his lease last month because of them (and he’s a cop! ?) and the super told me these jokers aren’t even paying rent - they stopped paying in March and set a Muslim rights lawyer on the building owner for trying to evict this poor hard-working family and their kids.

Glad to let that be someone else’s problem now ??. Still very sad to go though - never lived anywhere further east than Jersey!  

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

We’re in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn - about 15 minutes drive north of Coney Island.  It’s a nice, old school neighborhood packed mostly with Italians who have been here for years.  Lots of families - overall a nice little community (and a quick commute into Manhattan - one or two trains and 30 minutes or so to wherever).  We LOVE it here!  Unfortunately, our landlord rented an apartment in our no-kids building to a Moroccan couple who said they had no kids...until they remembered they did have kids as soon as they got the keys.  There’s five people living in a 1 room studio right next door, the Mom is pregnant and the landlord daren’t evict them.  

We put up with their nonsense for 18 months (kids screaming and crying all day and night, the dad beating the Mom, the Mom beating the kids, the cops coming round all the time, mice and roaches coming through their walls into our kitchen, the kids urinating in the hallway, the rotten food smell, all our packages going missing) and decided when he asked for a rent raise this year that he can go talk a walk.  

There goes the neighborhood!  Sorry to hear that Jim. It did seem like a really nice place.  I feel sorry for the poor landlord too.  It is no fun being a "slumlord" nowadays.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I thought maybe you were some of the people fleeing "the apple in decay" (as Foreigner so poetically put it about 40 years ago). 

I read that a million people left the city since this covid stuff happened.  If our lease wasn’t coming up and we didn’t sit down and reevaluate what the next year of our life is going to look like we’d still be here sticking it out...but as timing would have it, we looked at how much we pay in rent for so little space here, what the job market’s like (poor - my wife lost her job and my work is steadily drying up) and whether it’s going to go back to normal anytime soon (probably not) it seemed like a good time to try somewhere else.  Always kinda talked about living somewhere more rural - so maybe now’s a good time for an adventure!

I HATE leaving though, so this is something we’re treating as year long vacation and then we’ll see how the city/country/world looks in 12 months.  Hopefully, much better!

4 minutes ago, peteski said:

I feel sorry for the poor landlord too.  It is no fun being a "slumlord" nowadays.

Yeah, I feel bad for him too - he’s losing renters left and right in the building because of a few bad tenants, and then losing money with them too...tough deal for him.

That said, they’re lucky he’s playing by the rules...a lot of landlords I’ve met would’ve shut their water off or changed the locks when they’re out or sent some people round to ‘persuade’ then to move.