Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I've got some health issues including asthma and a compromised immune system. I buy a lot of things on Amazon Fresh, but they do not have everything, and sometimes the prices are ridiculous (and not in a good way) The girlfriend friend shops for me locally. Apparently folks in my area are hoarding in preparation for a resurgence of Covid-19, and already the shelves are not well stocked. 

I worked at a Shell station during the fuel crisis of the 70's. Believe me, if everyone acted normally this would not be such a big deal.

So screw it, add me to the hoarders list, I'm stocking up. I refuse to go without things simply because I don't want to be a moron like these other folks. 

'

I think my brother in law is still working through the food he hoarded in his freezer this past spring!  He kept calling my wife and upsetting her that we were gonna starve in the pandemic. I told him not to worry about us because if it got down to it,  there’s a fat little beagle next door who barks too much!

10 minutes ago, Draggon said:

I've got some health issues including asthma and a compromised immune system. I buy a lot of things on Amazon Fresh, but they do not have everything, and sometimes the prices are ridiculous (and not in a good way) The girlfriend friend shops for me locally. Apparently folks in my area are hoarding in preparation for a resurgence of Covid-19, and already the shelves are not well stocked. 

I worked at a Shell station during the fuel crisis of the 70's. Believe me, if everyone acted normally this would not be such a big deal.

So screw it, add me to the hoarders list, I'm stocking up. I refuse to go without things simply because I don't want to be a moron like these other folks. 

'

I have COPD and MS that compromises my immune system and I know what you mean. At the beginning of all this we did without some items but made it true the toilet paper shortage. We are dealing with a different generation now, you shouldn’t feel bad on getting  a supply of what you need..

Guys I would like to hear what you think. I had some neighbors move in across the street. They never wave or speak no matter what. They did get mad when I ask them to keep their dogs out of my yard crapping. They have 2 half grown cats.  My son took in a stray cat and he feeds him. When their cats come over he feeds them also. They hauled my suspension off and dumped them. Now they have two more and seem to get a very because my son feeds these 2. They just don’t seem like kind people..

12 minutes ago, slusher said:

Guys I would like to hear what you think. I had some neighbors move in across the street. They never wave or speak no matter what. They did get mad when I ask them to keep their dogs out of my yard crapping. They have 2 half grown cats.  My son took in a stray cat and he feeds him. When their cats come over he feeds them also. They hauled my suspension off and dumped them. Now they have two more and seem to get a very because my son feeds these 2. They just don’t seem like kind people..

They sound like the sort of people that only have pets for social media likes. My mum has a neighbour that is like that. When we were on lock down she went and stayed at her boyfriends and left her cats to fend for themselves so me and my mum fed them for 12 weeks. This annoyed her cos we didn't give them the right food. She also has a dog and in the 3 years she has had it, we've never seen her take it for a walk.

23 minutes ago, slusher said:

I'm a cat owner and this really irks me. IMO do the right thing for the cats no matter what, and just ignore the people. My current kitty "adopted me" when she was about 18 mos old. She's such a sweet loving cat I couldn't imagine anyone not wanting her. She had either been ignored, or treated poorly by her original family when she came to live with me. 

58 minutes ago, slusher said:

I have COPD and MS that compromises my immune system and I know what you mean. At the beginning of all this we did without some items but made it true the toilet paper shortage. We are dealing with a different generation now, you shouldn’t feel bad on getting  a supply of what you need..

Dang Carl, sorry to hear this. These are tough times for us. Hang in there. ?

One of the problems I noticed with the hoarding some months ago was you never knew what they were gonna strip the shelves of. There were times I couldn't find tortillas, noodles, eggs, dishwashing soap or soup. It would vary from week to week. Then suddenly it would be back in stock. Made it real tough to grocery shop like a normal person would.

32 minutes ago, TonyK said:

One of the problems I noticed with the hoarding some months ago was you never knew what they were gonna strip the shelves of.

Yea, I use little paper bathroom cups in the model room. Would you believe the shelves were bare?!  And pasta shelves were empty, canned goods like soup, tuna and beans like people were trying to survive a nuclear attack!

Edited by Tom Geiger

18 hours ago, slusher said:

Hi Carl

Not sure what 'hauled my suspension off and dumped them' means but it doesn't sound very friendly. As a cat lover (we have 4, just spent £150 on them at the vet!) I know i'm not too keen on them being fed by neighbours but wtf, they're cats and can go where they like!

I wouldn't fall out with them about it though.

We had one neighbour years ago threaten to poison them - that did make me angry!

Maybe stop feeding them and if you think they are mistreated call the US version of the RSPCA?

Cheers,

-Don.

I’ve never owned a cat but don’t dislike them. A local cat named Hunter (so it says on his collar tag) stops by regularly when I’m working outside. I’ve been gardening and he’s snuck up on my lap to be pet. I’ve never fed him but he still comes around and I’m happy to see him.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Getting sick of my GD iphone. Did one of their wonderful updates and now it is all jacked up. Half the time they do that and the phone no longer works right. Don't they test the changes to see if they take ? I really want to throw it against the wall right now but it was expensive and i outgrew those tantrums . I think.

Halloween!  My daughter had a bad experience. She put out the big bowl of treats in front of her door like the town prescribed for a no contact event.

First customers were a group of three little thugs. One put his hand over her Ring camera and the other two took ALL the treats!  She sent us the video with sound, got all three on video before one said, “Look there’s a camera!”  Little creeps!

She won’t let us post the video out of fear since she lives alone.

I felt for bad for the kids last night that went out to Trick or Treat.  There are always those in the neighborhood that turn off all their lights and hide in their basements, but this year participation level of my neighbors was down around the 25% level.  The ones that irk me are the ones that send their kid out but don't pass out candy themselves. 

For the past 20+ years, one neighbor across the street and I would load up the last kid (dumping the rest of their candy) and sending the kid across the street to the other ones house where the same happened.  He didn't participate this year and flow of kids kinda dried up about half an hour early.  

1 minute ago, HomerS said:

I felt for bad for the kids last night that went out to Trick or Treat.  There are always those in the neighborhood that turn off all their lights and hide in their basements 

Heh heh..that's me..didn't turn my outside lights back on until midnight...it was in the 40s and windy last night.   Don't think there was much in the way of tricker treating in my neighborhood..no one went past my house, from checking my Ring cameras...

We have four really nice kids on the cul de sac (two households) and we made up some special trick or treat bags for them that probably cost nearly $10 each. Then we hid. I don't think there was much action anyway. Lots of over the top decorations though, and there was an official HOA scavenger hunt for the kids to do instead. Go look for so and so decoration on so and so street, and record the house number where it is, blah blah. Seemed to be a good alternative to ringing doorbells, but kids like immediate gratification and the winners won't be announced until tomorrow.

Halloween..........A long standing American tradition.   Up to about 15 years ago Halloween simply passed by in the UK and the main celebration was November 5th Bonfire Night, a celebration of how Guy Fawkes was caught trying to blow up Parliament. The tradition was to light a bonfire with an effigy 'The Guy" on top and let off fireworks followed by roasting potatoes in the fire embers. Sadly our own old UK tradition has been all but succeeded by your tradition on All Hallows Eve.

19 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was the logical and not so fun dad.. I told my kids it was easier to go to Walmart on November 1st and buy the candy on clearance!

They are on to us Tom, most stores have marked them down early and order less around here.  My neighbor is a bread guy and he walked by the candy Isle at Kroeger  on Saturday it was already marked down and wiped out. 

14 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Halloween..........A long standing American tradition.   Up to about 15 years ago Halloween simply passed by in the UK and the main celebration was November 5th Bonfire Night, a celebration of how Guy Fawkes was caught trying to blow up Parliament. The tradition was to light a bonfire with an effigy 'The Guy" on top and let off fireworks followed by roasting potatoes in the fire embers. Sadly our own old UK tradition has been all but succeeded by your tradition on All Hallows Eve.

That's too bad. Bonfire Night sounds like a fun holiday.  Especially the roasted potatoes.  When I was growing up in Poland we used to roast potatoes in fire embers.  They are delicious, with that smoky flavor!  I repeated that few years ago when my GF had an outdoor fireplace in her yard.  She was first taken aback by the burned outside, but once I split one of the potatoes open, and the delicious smelling steam hit her nose, she we a convert.  Even her dogs couldn't get enough of those roasted potatoes.  :)

Unfortunately she sold the house, so no more ember-roasted potatoes. :(