Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?


LokisTyro

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

I started building the Big John Mazmanian Willys gas coupe.  The instructions have a suggested color for each part. I took the headers an blower and threw them into a bleach bath to strip the chrome.  Headers were to be steel color and the blower a dark gray.  Later that evening I googled the coupe and discovered the real one has chrome headers and blower.  Very upsetting.

Maybe you saw pics of the restored car or a recreation. I found pics with those items chrome and they were obviously modern photos. 

I found a couple original period pics where the headers looked flat white (common in those days), and others where they looked like plain unpolished steel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the outdoor Christmas lights on the house last weekend along with the snowman, reindeer with sleigh. Plugged it all in and darn sleigh lights didn't light up. Yeah, they're all plugged in. Went out and bought new fuses, took old ones out, put in new ones, waited til that night for timer to kick on. Still no lights on sleigh. Must be a loose LED bulb somewhere. Disconnected sleigh from the reindeer and haven't had a chance to find the cause yet. Hopefully later over this Thanksgiving weekend. Did I mention I hate finding a single loose bad bulb on a string of lights? LOL!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, youpey said:

my wife's coworker came into work sick all week, and decided to get a covid test and tested positive. now her entire company has to get tested and they did the 15 minute tests today to see if anyone else tested positive. 

 

my wife and i were going to surprise my mother at thanksgiving, so we had to cancel that, and we had to cancel our hotel, and we are out the almost 200 dollars for that. i also had to get groceries delivered for my wife and my thanksgiving because we didnt think we needed to cook.

 

i could absolutely scream. we see my mother maybe 2 times a year and because this lady was a selfish and stupid idiot, everything is ruined. 

That really stinks!  I feel for you!  After the last Thanksgiving was a total bust for most people, this one will also be a bust for you guys.  I don't blame you for being really aggravated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Maybe you saw pics of the restored car or a recreation. I found pics with those items chrome and they were obviously modern photos. 

I found a couple original period pics where the headers looked flat white (common in those days), and others where they looked like plain unpolished steel. 

Thanks for the info Snake.  Now I don't feel as bad as I did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I go to the Hot Rod Reunion at Famoso, I notice that many of the 'modern' rebuilds of older Dragsters, have a much more Chrome or Highly Polished parts, than they did 'back in the day'. Not Sure why. Since many of them are just Cacklefest Showpieces, that might be the reason.

So, don't feel bad, Jim. You did nothing wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing to remember about early Drag Cars. While a few high buck teams also showed their cars, most were race cars and were torn down and reassembled several times at any given meet and Tech would almost always require a tear down if you won your class or set any kind of record. That being the case a lot of parts were left in their natural state as they were being handled all the time and the money spent on chrome could be used for the cost of racing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2021 at 1:36 AM, peteski said:

That really stinks!  I feel for you!  After the last Thanksgiving was a total bust for most people, this one will also be a bust for you guys.  I don't blame you for being really aggravated.

thankfully my wife tested negative last night so i think we are in the clear. its unfortunate that we had to miss the thanksgiving surprise for my mother but glad my wife is negative

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Flickr account got disappeared.  I know why, I shouldn't have counted on not getting caught (subject not allowed here).  But still, about 10 years of memories lost, I have pictures stored here and there on thumbdrives, CD, back-up drive, but still.  So on other forums where I linked, my comments will be useless.  Debating whether to start on another photo-hosting website.  I've seen the backlash against PhotoBucket on this forum, so that's not an option.  Part of modern digital life.

Don't get me going on my local building departments.  If you live where there isn't one, feel fortunate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

My Flickr account got disappeared.  I know why, I shouldn't have counted on not getting caught (subject not allowed here).  But still, about 10 years of memories lost, I have pictures stored here and there on thumbdrives, CD, back-up drive, but still.  So on other forums where I linked, my comments will be useless.  Debating whether to start on another photo-hosting website.  I've seen the backlash against PhotoBucket on this forum, so that's not an option.  Part of modern digital life.

I can't even get into my BotoPhucket account now--they're holding it for some outrageous amount of ransom. I still have most of my pics on my hard drive, though. 

I've been getting along without a pichosting site for a couple years now. Many forums, such as this one, now allow you to upload pics directly. There are workarounds for the ones that don't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazon !  I buy most of my Christmas gifts from Amazon. It's handy and I don't have to fight the parking and the crowds of rude people. What I don't care for is when Amazon sticks all kinds of stickers ( address labels and such ) on the product box instead of putting the product in a shipping box.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, cobraman said:

Amazon !  I buy most of my Christmas gifts from Amazon. It's handy and I don't have to fight the parking and the crowds of rude people. What I don't care for is when Amazon sticks all kinds of stickers ( address labels and such ) on the product box instead of putting the product in a shipping box.

A lot of products are now either packaging all their units for individual shipment, or just packaging to ones they send to online retailers for individual shipment. I've also noted that Amazon has gotten very careful with their shipping, at least here. Even delicate things are arriving intact. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

A lot of products are now either packaging all their units for individual shipment, or just packaging to ones they send to online retailers for individual shipment. I've also noted that Amazon has gotten very careful with their shipping, at least here. Even delicate things are arriving intact. 

Amazons packaging continues to amaze me!  Some stuff is so over packed it is ridiculous.  I ordered some "watch" batteries for our christmas ornaments.  4 button batteries each on a single bubble card, pack in a 8"X8"X10" box full of bubble wrap.  Even the post office couldn't have damaged the batteries with a hammer, in a simple envelope, so why all the packaging?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Already irked today. It seems that every time it’s foggy out, people compete to see who can be the biggest idiot on the road. Special thanks to the mongoloid in the Ram 2500 that decided to drive around me on the right and squeeze his way in from the outside lane (that was ending/merging with the lane I was in) between my pickup and a Honda Odyssey, darn near causing an accident only to end up bumper to bumper with other cars in the fast lane.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My apartment complex has been needing to randomly shut off the water while they work on a new apartment. however they typically leave us a letter telling us so with usually a couple of hours notice. Today however, no notice.  Im in the middle of a shower when the water goes off

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Already irked today. It seems that every time it’s foggy out, people compete to see who can be the biggest idiot on the road. Special thanks to the mongoloid in the Ram 2500 that decided to drive around me on the right and squeeze his way in from the outside lane (that was ending/merging with the lane I was in) between my pickup and a Honda Odyssey, darn near causing an accident only to end up bumper to bumper with other cars in the fast lane.

 

Seems more and more of these clowns are on the road. I had one pass me in a school zone one morning and nearly crashed himself just to get around me funny thing was that's as far as he got. 

Tailgating has become a normal thing here lately and if the weather is bad these clowns get closer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bad drivers seem to be a universal problem. I find myself driving more and more in a defensive mood. You have to watch everyone around you, think of what the dumbest things that they may do and think about how you are going to evade their moves and stay safe.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Tailgating has become a normal thing here lately and if the weather is bad these clowns get closer. 

That and the ones who don’t turn their headlights on when it’s so foggy you can’t read road signs 200 feet out. 

Another thing that I’ve seen more of lately is the fast lane crowded and the slow lane wide open. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 9:27 AM, Snake45 said:

I can't even get into my BotoPhucket account now--they're holding it for some outrageous amount of ransom. I still have most of my pics on my hard drive, though. 

I've been getting along without a pichosting site for a couple years now. Many forums, such as this one, now allow you to upload pics directly. There are workarounds for the ones that don't. 

You still have Photobucket?!?!? Everyone who had Photobucket quickly dumped them and retrieved their pics prior to them charging ridiculous money or risk them holding your pics hostage. Shoulda ran when you had the chance, I use Postimage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...