Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Thanks for the good ideas, everyone! B)

21 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Depending on how it's been stored, there's also the possibility of water in the gas from condensation. Little tiny jets sometimes won't flow water.

It used to be a real problem with Fiats too. Imagine that. :D

My first thought, too, but I've run the mower at least twice this year, maybe 3 or 4 times, fueling it from the same can. No problems until yesterday and we haven't had any wild weather fluxuations that might lead to condensation problems. 

23 hours ago, pack rat said:

One other idea; I had a Craftsman mower that started doing that. I backed the gas cap out about 1/2 turn and it ran like a dream.  I figured the vent was clogged.

That's brilliant! That'll be the first thing I check when I get to it. Thanks! B)

21 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I had the same problem and took the mower into the repair shop.  2 days later they called me back and said the fuel line was being blocked with bugs!  So check the fuel line from the tank to the filter or carb and see if it is free flowing.

This will be the second thing I check. B)

22 hours ago, espo said:

During your spring service on your mower did you replace the fuel filter along with the air filters. The Air Filter in particular gets a lot of dust along with grass clippings and if you Deer is like the one I had you have a foam precleaner wrapped around the paper filter.  The precleaner foam can get really blocked with dust and sometimes it's worth it to just replace it instead of trying to clean it. K&N makes a spry oil that works well on the foam and most auto parts store should have it.  

Sounds like more good advice. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks for the good ideas, everyone! B)

My first thought, too, but I've run the mower at least twice this year, maybe 3 or 4 times, fueling it from the same can. No problems until yesterday and we haven't had any wild weather fluxuations that might lead to condensation problems. 

That's brilliant! That'll be the first thing I check when I get to it. Thanks! B)

This will be the second thing I check. B)

Sounds like more good advice. 

does it have a fuel pump I have 2 JDs both have fuel pumps

Nobody wants to work anymore. They’re getting paid more from collecting unemployment than their actual paycheck when they were working.

I see panhandlers everyday. With the time they spend getting handouts, they could have spent that time job hunting. Everybody is always looking for help. Minimum wage is $15/hour, some places are higher. So what’s the problem?  Everybody is lazy is what’s the problem nowadays.

2 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Nobody wants to work anymore. They’re getting paid more from collecting unemployment than their actual paycheck when they were working.

I see panhandlers everyday. With the time they spend getting handouts, they could have spent that time job hunting. Everybody is always looking for help. Minimum wage is $15/hour, some places are higher. So what’s the problem?  Everybody is lazy is what’s the problem nowadays.

One possibility is that those panhandlers collect more (or even much more) "donations" than they can make having a basic low-wage job.  When they leave for the day they probably drive off in a Mercedes parked few blocks away. 

The only sure way to stop panhandling would be for people to stop giving money to them, but too many people out there just can't help themselves to feel better by helping some poor lost soul.  The ubiquitous "God bless" scribbled on the bottom of the brown cardboard sign also helps them to collect from all all the soft-hearted individuals.  Just like with all the scam calls we are flooded with, panhandling is a scam.  There are plenty of ways in this country for a truly homeless down-on-their-luck individual to get help.

• Like 1

Benefits freeloaders!   Plenty also here in the UK.

They do the maths and if working and paying taxes equates to less than the benefits received then it is a no brainer. Why bother to get up in the morning if the state pays you more to be idle? Irks me and other tax payers to fund their sedentary  life style choice!

• Like 1

My son runs a landscaping store for a multi-million dollar company and has been interviewing people for a job. They come in in an hour late, dressed shabby, lazy attitude, etc. They can't pass a drug test or background check. He thinks he finally found a guy who has moved up from California who gave a decent interview and is confident he'll pass the tests.

2 hours ago, Vintage AMT said:

Gas tax holiday, man I'll save a whopping $3.20 on my next fill up. Won't even buy me a Mtn.Dew!!!

On April 1st, our province implemented a 13 cents/litre fuel tax rebate on gas.

So our gas is only $1.89/L right now, which is roughly $5.52 US per gallon.

They announced yesterday that the instant rebate at the pumps will continue for at least another 3 months.

Our roadtrip to Vancouver Island in July is going to be a little more expensive than usual. We last did this trip in 2018, and gas was under $1.20/L.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:23 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

Every spring, we had all kinds of problems with our lawn mower. The carb would get gummed up, and just not work right. This was usually cured with a rebuild and liberal application of cleaner. After a couple years of this, I bought a fuel shut-off valve and installed it between the gas tank and the carburetter. Now the procedure is to turn off the fuel valve, and run the engine until it stops. No more carburetter problems. Runs like a champ. 

I did that with mine. There is two places in two wher you can buy non ethanol gas for what ever you want. I put that in mine..

4 hours ago, slusher said:

I did that with mine. There is two places in two wher you can buy non ethanol gas for what ever you want. I put that in mine..

I'm in California. About the only place we can get non-ethanol gas is at the airport. That said, winter is 3 months here, then it goes back to sunny and warm. We don't really have an off season for the mower. 

Lets steer away from politics, anything that might be considered politics, any mention of politicians, photos of politicians, political memes., etc...You get the point.

If they continue, 30 day vacation notices will be sent out so you can stomp the campaign trail for your candidate of choice free from the beautifully distracting models on this site.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Not an irk from me but my son. He currently has an internship with the NYDOT as inspector on a striping crew. An accident involved 2 SUVs caused by another driver who cut in front of the first car getting on the exit; causing her to break hard and get rear ended by another vehicle behind her. The reckless driver who was in a hurry didn’t bother to stop or oblivious that he/she caused the accident. All this happened in a work zone with signs everywhere. 

Some folks have zero regards in slowing down in work zones. Always in a hurry for what?

2 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Not an irk from me but my son. He currently has an internship with the NYDOT as inspector on a striping crew. An accident involved 2 SUVs caused by another driver who cut in front of the first car getting on the exit; causing her to break hard and get rear ended by another vehicle behind her. The reckless driver who was in a hurry didn’t bother to stop or oblivious that he/she caused the accident. All this happened in a work zone with signs everywhere. 

Some folks have zero regards in slowing down in work zones. Always in a hurry for what?

Who knows?  It is likely the self-entitlement thing. Or a total cluelessness. Or both. 

The sad part is that regardless of what made the first driver slam on the brakes, the driver who rear ended the first vehicle will be at fault (because they did not leave enough safe distance between them and the car in front).  But both drivers will have to deal with the consequences of the accident (insurance paperwork,  being out of the car while it is repaired, etc.).  Sad.

• Thanks 1

I couldn't find my favorite brand of coffee which is "Taster's Choice" while grocery shopping yesterday. I finally found it at a Walgreen's near my house this morning so I got two jars. It must be a popular brand because it's always sold out at stores that I normally patronize. 

Edited by John M.

On 6/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, Snake45 said:

Just finished mowing my lawn. Wasn't sure the mower was gonna make it (a John Deere). Never any problems before, but today it kept "hunting" and surging and acting a couple times like it wanted to cut out completely. Bad gas? I'll check the oil and spark plug and fuel filter (if it has one) later. Any other ideas? :wacko:

Update: I bought some carb cleaner/gas treatment and put some in the gas tank and let it run for about 10 minutes. (It started right up, surprisingly.) Then filled it up and proceeded to mow the lawn. It seemed to run normally, or darn close to it. Oh, I also blew out the vent hole on the gas cap. Not sure which thing worked, but something seems to have. 

On 6/25/2022 at 6:38 AM, Mark said:

When you do leave sufficient distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you, often another driver sees that as sufficient room to cut in...

That is very true, but insurance companies seem to have a problem with near-tailgating if it causes a rear-end accident.  So I guess we have to pick out poison:  either drive like old ladies and be aggravated by people constantly cutting in front of us, or leave enough distance for safe emergency braking so not to be found at-fault in a rear-end accident.    Today's aggressive drivers are a major irk in general.  I also observed that many of those very aggressive drivers are young women.  In the past it was usually young man driving aggressively.