Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

18 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Work.... yea common theme, but check this out.  I'll admit that I'm a dinosaur, still draw plans with the ancient tools of pencil on velum.  I want to phase out and retire, but people keep coming to me.  Thanks to CV1984, the building departments established portals, so permit submittal is done electronically.  I get my drawings scanned, so far they accept this format (when they demand only AutoCad or whatever files, that will give me the best excuse to retire).  This is part of a Site Plan, the bureaucrat literally measured with their computer program, down to 1/4", lines that are representative of what needs to be done.  So I need to use "vintage" electric eraser to move that line 6 1/4" to be within the arbitrary line they mandate.  Lord forbid the field inspector sees a chunk of rock over that line, and fails the inspection!  And they wonder why people try to build something without getting permit.  And what the heck is "drainagle"? 🤨 /end rant/

Ausherman site.jpg

I think he needs spellcheckle.

• Haha 1

Not a big irk but last week Salvino's JR Models sent me an email saying they'd have the 2023 Ford NASCAR models on their website sometime on the weekend for pre-order. I want the Ryan Blaney car and they point out these will be limited quantities so beware. They never showed up on the website so Monday I emailed them asking for an update. I've heard nothing.

I checked the website quite often last weekend. They show models on the site that are sold out with a "sign" across the picture. Just thought a reply to my email sometime this week would've been nice. Guess they can't be bothered but why have a "contact us" if they don't answer your question?

Since i got my shower replaced a couple of weeks ago i decided to repaint my bathroom. I dont know what one of the previous tennants was thinking but theres a layer of bright blue latex under the wallpaper and its really a fight to get it removed. I've spent the entire week scraping it off dry as if this stuff gets wet it just smears. Its not even a big room, 2m x 2.5m but i'm on day 9 of stripping whatever this stuff is from the walls. I think I'll get some edging for around the roof as I already bought all the paint without planning to do the roof and it'll save me having to strip it back too. I really hope i can get the filler and painting started soon. I expected it to take a couple of days, not a couple of weeks and I've filled 2 bin bags with paint scrapings. On the plus side, i think the room is bigger now

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Since i got my shower replaced a couple of weeks ago i decided to repaint my bathroom.

Les, man.... Have you thought about just sealing up what's on the walls with an oil-based primer? Once that dried, you could float everything (yes, the whole wall...) with the joint compound until it was smooth...... Then you could just sand, prime, and paint.

8 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Les, man.... Have you thought about just sealing up what's on the walls with an oil-based primer? Once that dried, you could float everything (yes, the whole wall...) with the joint compound until it was smooth...... Then you could just sand, prime, and paint.

I've only got a small area left before filler now man, I have the oil based primer for after i fill the edges and where i've made divots. If i knew how much of a pain it was going to be i'd have just papered it. I'm having to mask around the mirror and other bits too cos they have been on so long the plastic will break if i remove them.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:41 AM, stitchdup said:

I think I'll get some edging for around the roof as I already bought all the paint without planning to do the roof and it'll save me having to strip it back too.

I see more interesting differences in the usage of English language between UK and USA.  Seems that you use "roof" to describe ceiling.  To me "roof" is the top outside surface of a house, exposed to the elements.  It's fun to compare the variations of the common language.

• Like 2

So... after getting sick several times since Christmas. (Had the worst case of the flu back then), this week I finally got around to catching Covid. After working as an "essential worker " in the public, and worked through all the lockdowns, stay at home orders, etc. I finally get it after all the special sick leave considerations are ended...

Edited by Calb56
I'm dumb...and typo
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Calb56 said:

So... after getting sick several times since Christmas. (Had the worst case of the flu back then), this week I finally got around to catching Covid. After working as an "essential worker " in the public, and worked through all the lockdowns, stay at home orders, etc. I finally get it after all the special sick leave considerations are ended...

That is just awful. I am sorry to hear this. Get better!

Caught my little rescue dog chewing on the lamp cord. Didn't get to the wire so should be pleased about that. Only had him a couple of months and caught him chewing on my shoe laces or slippers if left lying around. Plenty of chew toys to use, which he does but apparently that's not enough.

Still he's done a pretty good job of learning the rules around the house so progress is being made.

I wonder if applying some bitter apple or orange spray to the objects not to be chewed would take care of the problem. My GF's had to do that  when her new puppy was chewing things she wasn't supposed to.  Since it would be difficult to neatly spray cords or laces, I would take a piece of rag, soak it in the bitter liquid, and rub the power cord with it.

grannick-s-bitter-apple-taste-deterrent-spray-for-dogs-16-oz-6.jpg

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

My 2017 F250 would not start yesterday. The block heater was plugged in since it’s very cold here right now. The battery is charged according to my smart charger…..but the engine will not crank over. I had it towed yesterday to a shop that specializes in electrical repairs that my regular mechanic recommended. The day before it kept telling me that the rear doors were ajar and the interior light would come on by itself.🤨 I hope it doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg.😕

I still remember a mechanic telling me many years ago that our cars are built so well that the mechanical parts aren't a problem anymore, it's the electrical stuff that goes south. It makes the car run pretty much carefree until it doesn't and then.....

15 hours ago, peteski said:

I wonder if applying some bitter apple or orange spray to the objects not to be chewed would take care of the problem. My GF's had to do that  when her new puppy was chewing things she wasn't supposed to.  Since it would be difficult to neatly spray cords or laces, I would take a piece of rag, soak it in the bitter liquid, and rub the power cord with it.

Thanks for the tip. I usually keep a close eye out for any mischief but they can be sneaky. We have 2 small rescues and the training has gone well. Funny thing, the wife bought some spray to deter the dogs from peeing in the house and right after we got it they started going to the door to be let out. Guessing this spray you suggested would lead to the same thing.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

Thanks for the tip. I usually keep a close eye out for any mischief but they can be sneaky. We have 2 small rescues and the training has gone well. Funny thing, the wife bought some spray to deter the dogs from peeing in the house and right after we got it they started going to the door to be let out. Guessing this spray you suggested would lead to the same thing.

It is different than the anti-pee spray, but the principal is the same - discourage the activity.  I think the anti-pee spray is based on a scent, while bitter apple works through taste.  If you get some, try it yourself and see how bitter it tastes.  :) When a dog bites something where the bitter liquid was applied, it will taste so bitter, that most dogs will cease the biting.  Most dogs are very smart and they learn quickly.

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

My 2017 F250 would not start yesterday. The block heater was plugged in since it’s very cold here right now. The battery is charged according to my smart charger…..but the engine will not crank over. I had it towed yesterday to a shop that specializes in electrical repairs that my regular mechanic recommended. The day before it kept telling me that the rear doors were ajar and the interior light would come on by itself.🤨 I hope it doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg.😕

Electrical problems suck !

Puppys are like children and require guidance. Had a Lab male who thought everything in the world was put there for him to chew on. With some positive reinforcement we were able to substitute rawhide chew sticks whenever we caught him chewing on something.  Took a couple of weeks but he stopped chewing on things after that. 

7 hours ago, TonyK said:

I still remember a mechanic telling me many years ago that our cars are built so well that the mechanical parts aren't a problem anymore, it's the electrical stuff that goes south. It makes the car run pretty much carefree until it doesn't and then.....

6 hours ago, cobraman said:

Electrical problems suck !

Yeah! No kidding! I can change out components…even engines and transmissions. But these electrical gremlins are difficult to diagnose.😕 The shop tells me it is the starter and  gave me what I think is a reasonable price for repair so I gave them the go ahead. I hope they are correct, because after a bit of surfing, it seems there are a multitude of possible electrical gremlins in these 2017 trucks.😬