Model Cars Magazine Forum

Larry Fullerton Mustang II Funny Car photos

sflam123

Hi guys! I'm looking for a little help here. I recently got an old AMT Mustang II Funny Car kit. I'm trying to replicate the Larry Fullerton "Trojan Horse" Funny Car....the silver one.

I've found a picture on Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/434499/drag-racing/funny-car-reference/trojanhorsemustii.html. In this picture it appears the front spoiler is blue, and I don't have a clue as to the top of the hood and the trunk. I can surmise that his earlier Mustang Funny Cars and this one had similar layouts, but I'd like to know for sure. Any help you guys can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks Everyone!!

Steve

• 2 months later...

I was on Larry's crew at the time of the AMT model release. A few of the photo's posted by Hondo are the actual car body that the model was made from. The one with Larry's son Bud getting ready to put glue down is the correct body. The other correct body was taken from the rear with the body raised. In this photo taken at the Warner Robins raceway in 1975 you can see in this photo the AMT logo on the side window panel.

I'm not sure how to embed the photo, but I see if you double-click it opens larger.

Regards,

Gary

post-12836-0-80549900-1385500799_thumb.j

Edited by LotusV8

Steve,

Here are the shots I have on file. (Sorry for the lack of photo credits).

It looks like that when the Mustang II debut, the stripes seemed Black and Red.

Later around '77 through '78, the car seemed to have a deep purple replace the black.

Also on the later Mustang II body, there was a hemp over the rear wheel.

Gary would know more about the different bodies and paint on the actual cars.

When I ever get around to building mine, I am definitely going to build the purple version

and be ambitious and ad the hump also. Always loved this version of the Trojan Horse.

282833_2205210625458_543100974_n_zps865a

246801_224278354263797_7483245_n_zpsae68

10270_2369945985925_1087977268_n_zps5c32

rsquo77_TrjnHorse_OCIRpits_mustangII_zps

Dave, Gary, you guys have no idea how much I appreciate you posting these pictures!! Thank you!!

I've been working on this model slowly (it seems most of my model progress goes at this speed!) and I hope to post some pictures of the body in the next few days.

Thanks again!!

Steve