Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lincoln-Mercury dealer drawings from 1947: build it yourself!

ChrisBcritter

While looking for old photos on the North Carolina State University Library site, I found some architectural drawings for a car dealership, Ocean Motor Sales Lincoln-Mercury, dated 1947. The files are very large so I'll post a link here:

http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/catalog?utf8=%E2%9C%93&id=mc00096-001-ff0261-000-001_0005&search_field=all_fields&q=ocean+motor+sales

(I looked on Google Earth at North 2nd street in Wilmington, but I guess the building is long gone...)

Happy building!

That IS great. That would work as numerous repair shops. I could see a body shop with that layout. And it would only take up a 8'x4' (or less) piece of wood for a base. The size would be 2.640 for the width and 6.600 for the length.

I wonder if you could get those drawings on legal size paper (11"x17") from NCSU?

Edited by Swifster

I noticed there are separate locker rooms, and not because of gender. In 1947, this is how it was. I found these plans fascinating, and have saved them for further examination. It's like a paper time capsule. How things have changed!

Depending on the blueprint, there is either 1 or two locker rooms. The other thing to keep in mind was that this was the south (Wilmington, NC). I'm not sure that two locker rooms would have been included if this dealer was going to be in Detroit or Chicago.