Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's one I restored, a Jo-Han 1967 AMC Ambassador.

Ron Hamilton

Jo-Han 1967 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 Door Hardtop.

I started with this one. The front suspension was broken in pieces.

JoHan67Ambassador2door_zpsbe61c662.jpg

It was glued pretty tight, and it was a little dirty, but I was able to get it apart with little drama and it was cleaned and stripped.

AugustProjects002_zps029ad352.jpg

I had to rebuild the front suspension, and I lowered it while doing so.

MamaMeetingSept212013083_zps172efd03.jpg

I decided on painting it with Testors' Fiery Orange Lacquer, with a Black Vinyl Roof, and Interior. I also added a set of wire wheel covers, with Goodyear Power Cushion Whitewalls.

MamaMeetingSept212013086_zps6910340e.jpg

Lookin' good Ron! I was thinking about you today. I am working on a Revell '62 Valiant and the windshield top is way to low. I'm figuring I'd be taking it up to the top of the molding, and scribe a new one that much above. Didn't you do this modification? Advise?

Tom,

I cleaned up the heavy mould lines on a AMT '61,

202.jpg

201.jpg

and replaced the windshield and backlight moulding with plastic strip.

079.jpg

On your Revell car, I would look at the AMT, measure the height of their windows relative to the edge of the roof, and remove that amount, and replace the mouldings. I'm also working over an AMT '60 Sedan, which is not as bad as the hardtop.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Have one MIB I bought a few years ago when I had a little money.

Question for you, Ron: what did you do to get a "well-glued" kit apart? I have a Buick with a bordering-on-fused glass unit into the roof and I'm trying to figure out how to remove the glass without destroying the body. Also, where did you get the Goodyear Power Cushions?

That's a very nice build. I like the orange...looks very copper, and looks good with the black vinyl top.

Charlie Larkin

Have one MIB I bought a few years ago when I had a little money.

Question for you, Ron: what did you do to get a "well-glued" kit apart?

I used my trusty x-acto knife to get between the glue joints. Also, I use my Dremel with a fine toothed 1" Zona cutoff blade. I have to work very carefully at the glue joint. In some cases, the joint will not come apart without inflicting some serious damage, so I have to cut up the attached part close to the joint, not damaging the body, or some other irreplaceable section of the model. Next I grind off the balance of the old part with various grinding bits with my Dremel at a slow speed in order not to melt the plastic. Then I have to either get the replacement part from the Modelhaus, a used part from Ebay or the parts box, modify a similar part from another kit, or scratchbuild the replacement out of plastic.

I have a Buick with a bordering-on-fused glass unit into the roof and I'm trying to figure out how to remove the glass without destroying the body.

On this '60 Corvair,

2008_0818mamameetingaug080030.jpg

the glass was heavilly glued in at the base.

2008_0818mamameetingaug080043.jpg

I cut the glass loose at an inconspicuous place, using the Dremel with the 1" Zona circular blade, cutting just at the glass, and removed it from the car.

2008_0818mamameetingaug080042.jpg

2008_0818mamameetingaug080044.jpg

2008_0818mamameetingaug080048.jpg

And yes, It's ready for paint after a lot of work.

2008_09051960Corvair20017.jpg

Also, where did you get the Goodyear Power Cushions?

The Lindberg 1961 Chevrolet Impala Convertible. I did my own whitewalls with a bow compass and flat white acrylic.

That's a very nice build. I like the orange...looks very copper, and looks good with the black vinyl top.

Charlie Larkin

Thank You Charlie!!!