Model Cars Magazine Forum

amt flatbed trailer [done 10/12/13]

well, after a 20-some year hiatus, I'm building again. I bought a boatload of trucks and trailers, and thought it would be wise to work into it slowly, so I started with this trailer. I spent about 2 hours on this little bit, but am pleased with the results so far. only downside, I didn't realize I messed up two of the air chambers until way after the fact, but I suppose unless you really look, you won't notice.

here is my progress so far,

photo_zpsb0be40e6.jpg

photo_zps8a679f3c.jpg

photo_zpsad8dcc52.jpg

photo_zps3c8efa24.jpg

Near as I can tell, I have it square/level, so with luck all the tires will touch the ground. I figured if I posted something, I might keep posting pic's as I go. currently have parts 'cooking' in the dehydrator, and have the deck and 'I' beams in primer [won't fit in the dehydrator, so will have to wait on mother nature], stay tuned for more on this simple build, and wish me luck....

Edited by tbill

I should also mention two things, the air chambers are all level/even, even though they don't look it in the pic's [must be my phone pic's]

the other thing I want to mention is, big thanks to Jim B, he has been nice enough to put up with my constant e-mails asking newbie questions and graciously pointing me in the right direction, your help so far has been awesome, and I want to say thanks!

The AMT Fruehauf flatbed is one nice kit. Easy to build if you take the time to do it. Pretty easy to detail too. It could use some more optional stuff to use on, but it works.

Versatile too, you can cut this one up to make like half a dozen variations! Good start to your project!

some progress on this build tonight. I scuffed the deck portion, then masked it off, and did some painting. I was not quite successful in what I wanted color-wise, but I am happy with the 'sheen' I ended up with. in retro-spect, I guess if I had re primed the area in white I may have gotten closer to what I was looking for, but hey, I gotta start someplace. I misted it with yellow, then hit it with brown, let it tack some, then hit it with flat clear coat. I think this is one of the few times something looks better in person than in the picture. but, am happy with it. one step closer to a final product. thanks for reading.

photo_zpsf1785b85.jpg

Looking good Tom. The further along you go you'll pick up more ideas and develop your own style and techniques for building. Eventually you get to a point where you feel comfortable and get more confident in your work. Keep it up and have fun.

thanks, and ya, now that I know you can strip paint of these things, the sky is the limit, haha! way more apt to make bold choices knowing it doesn't mean a ruined model, just a matter of some easy off or purple pond action, and back to square one.

ok, almost done with this complex build, lol. crappy cell phone pic's with poor lighting, but you'll get the idea. the landing gear is temporary, going to use the short 'feet' once I have a truck completed. all I have left to do are a few touch ups, and mud flap decals. i'm happy with it overall, first build in a long time, and it came out pretty decent.

photo_zps449a95bf.jpg

photo_zpsc299949b.jpg

photo_zpsd0a9e55f.jpg

photo_zpsd8cedb0b.jpg

photo_zps5e6e4a07.jpg

photo_zps487ca78f.jpg