Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Krupp Titan with Hanomag Trailer

Hi, whoever in Germany has any interest in trucks knows the Krupp Titan - even more than six decades after its introduction in 1950. The few Titans that still exist are the highlight of every vintage truck meeting. Some features made the Titan unique in those early post-war years:

• Because Krupp had no big engine they coupled two 3-cylinder two-stroke diesel engines. Krupp was the only German manufacturer that ever used two-stroke diesels. The idling sound was so odd that the Titan was known as the only truck that was able to say its name ("kruppkruppkruppkruppkrupp...")
  • Its power of 210 PS was incredible, most other German heavy trucks had only 130 to 160 PS ( 1 PS = appr. 1hp net). Additionally there was a high-speed version available that was capable of 94 kph, faster than many of the small passenger cars in those days.
  • Its appearance - obviously inspired by the Cord 812 and the 1937 Opel Kapitän - was spectacular. I still remember that I saw one as a boy of about five years. I was so fascinated that I urged my father for days until he bought me a Titan as a toy model.

There is not much to say about the Revell kits: They are outstanding, probably the best kits ever made by Revell of Germany. Except a minor fit problem between fenders and cab they are a pleasure to build. Unfortunately Revell recommends really unattractive colour combinations. Therefore I finished my models 10 or 15 years ago in those colours I saw as a little boy.

comp_Titan01130-vi.jpg
comp_Titan02130-vi.jpg
comp_Titan03130-vi.jpg
comp_Titan04130-vi.jpg
comp_Titan05130-vi.jpg
comp_Titan06130-vi.jpg
comp_Titan07130-vi.jpg
comp_Titan08130-vi.jpg

A similar topic of mine:

1937 Mercedes-Benz L 10000 Scratchbuilt 1/24
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75830

Edited by Plastheniker
Fotki links replace PB

Very nice build of a unique looking Truck. I have seen pictures of these, but can't remember seeing any of these in person. You did fantastic job with this one. If photographed in outside without a background, it would make a great Real or Model.

Thanks for all comments so far.

Perhaps I should have mentioned Revell's second classic truck. The kit of the Büssing 8000 S is as outstanding as the Krupp. Carefully built it makes an equally attractive model. I would really recommend both to everyone inclined to build them. You would be delighted!

Edited by Plastheniker

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all further comments!

Derick, here are some factory pictures of the engine. They show how Krupp coupled the two engines and that each engine remained almost complete.

post-11944-0-44262000-1382646158_thumb.jpost-11944-0-27673300-1382646162_thumb.jpost-11944-0-84926200-1382646153_thumb.j

Nearly at the same time another German truck manufacturer, namely Henschel, coupled two small engines for the legendary "Bimot" in a completely different way.

post-11944-0-12623800-1382646156_thumb.j