Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Custom Mercury: Teaser pic

James2

Starting with the AMT 2Door Custom kit, It will get a pie section first, then the roof. I used a razor saw to scribe the cut then the back side of a #11 blade, scoring little by little until the cut went through. I'll save the pie to use as filler on the roof chop. I then welded the body back together with liquid cement. After this is set I'll chop that top....

11.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Edited by James2

So when you chopped it, you didn't move the B-pillar back, you left it in place. So what will you do to make the A-pillars line up?

All in due time, Grasshopper, all in due time.

Thanks for the interest also....

Edited by James2

Thanks guys, here it is before shaping, grinding and sanding. My plan to bend the "B" pillars was a good idea, the execution could have been better, but it will sand out fine. I also reinforced the inside of each joint with micro brass screen and CA glue. More mods to follow....

52.jpg

51.jpg

Just a thought...I wonder if a tad more rake on the B-pillar, and maybe a little subtle curve on it might echo the line of the front of the skirt...

What you've got going looks great anyway, just as it is.

Thanks Bill, I think I'll try a few paper patterns and see what looks good.