Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Cast Iron Paint?

Olle F

So it finally happened: My 10 year old can of Humbrol #53 "Gun Metal" enamel has dried up, and now I can't find it anywhere. IMO, this paint is as close to cast iron as it gets, and I use it for exhaust manifolds, master cylinders, suspension parts and other things that were unpainted cast iron on real cars.

Now I don't know what to get. I have tried a few different varieties, but most paints that are supposed to resemble bare metals are either too light or too dark. The dark grey "Gun Metal" was perfect so does anyone know where to get it, or is there a good substiute for it that's easier to find?

Edited by Olle F

I have several of the Testors Metalizers, but none of them has that greyish shade I'm looking for. I have actually found one of them that could work, but it's still a tad too dark. The neat thing about the Humbrol #53 is that you can take the thick sludge from the bottom of the can and stipple it on for a nice, textured finish that looks just like cast iron and also hides minor imperfections. The Metalizers are very thin, and don't work all that well for brush painting.

One option would be to mix my own, but there must be other paints that work straight out of the can. I'm sure that the military guys and the railroaders would know. Surely enough, cast iron should be a useful color for a lot of different model builders. My hobby store has a pretty limited assortment, but will order anything as long as it's available. I just need to know what to order.

So it finally happened: My 10 year old can of Humbrol #53 "Gun Metal" enamel has dried up, and now I can't find it anywhere. IMO, this paint is as close to cast iron as it gets, and I use it for exhaust manifolds, master cylinders, suspension parts and other things that were unpainted cast iron on real cars.

Now I don't know what to get. I have tried a few different varieties, but most paints that are supposed to resemble bare metals are either too light or too dark. The dark grey "Gun Metal" was perfect so does anyone know where to get it, or is there a good substiute for it that's easier to find?

I use cast iron paint from Eastwood. Here is a link

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=...temType=PRODUCT

Try the metalizers...if you don't like the unbuffed magnesium then mix the other shades together. I have mixed brass & alum plate for a cad plated color, as it is lacquer it does not need thining to airbrush. Check the website for a color chart you might be surprised!!

I use cast iron paint from Eastwood. Here is a link

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=...temType=PRODUCT

Thanks, that was just too obvious for me to realize. <_< I can't believe I didn't think of that, as I went through the same thing a while ago trying to find the correct Chevy engine orange. The answer (after spending days looking for suitable model paint) was a $3 rattle can from the car parts store. B) I might just get a can of cast iron restoration paint next time I order from Summit or Year One.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Metalizers.

Here is a few tricks.

For cast iron or aluminum textures. An old bottle of Mr. Sealer. I do what you do. Dab it on to replicate the texture.

Then Metalizers over that. It's an extra step but works.

Letting the Metalizers dry out a little helps with brushing them.

post-2119-1195541871_thumb.jpg

Hey, that's a neat idea! I don't know what Mr. Sealer is (some kind of primer?), but I would think that any semi-dry paint, the sludge from the bottom of a can of primer or something like that can be dabbed on to create the texture. The texture will probably make the color look different too, so I'm going to have another look at our LHS's assortment of Metalizers and see if there's any of them that can be used.

BTW: Here's something that I found out when I was bored the other day: If you have small parts that you want to paint with Metalizer, you can actually dip them instead of airbrushing or brush painting them. Just dip the part in the paint, shake off the excess and let it dry. Repeat if you want a heavier coat, then polish as usual. It sounds crazy, but the Metalizer is so thin that it won't build up to a blob like other paints would.

Well, seems like I'm in luck. I stopped by at the LHS today, and the guy told me that he was able to track down the good, old Humbrol #53 and had it in the store waiting for me. I bought three cans, so I probably won't run out in the next 20-30 years or so. Happy, happy, joy, joy! <_< I'm still going to try some of the other varieties you guys mentioned though, doesn't hurt to try new methods!

Well, seems like I'm in luck. I stopped by at the LHS today, and the guy told me that he was able to track down the good, old Humbrol #53 and had it in the store waiting for me. I bought three cans, so I probably won't run out in the next 20-30 years or so. Happy, happy, joy, joy! <_< I'm still going to try some of the other varieties you guys mentioned though, doesn't hurt to try new methods!

Nope it doesn't it's all part of the hobby. I experiment a lot. Sometimes it works ... a lot of times it fails.

• 4 months later...
Well, seems like I'm in luck. I stopped by at the LHS today, and the guy told me that he was able to track down the good, old Humbrol #53 and had it in the store waiting for me. I bought three cans, so I probably won't run out in the next 20-30 years or so. Happy, happy, joy, joy! :blink: I'm still going to try some of the other varieties you guys mentioned though, doesn't hurt to try new methods!

Now that is what is great about local hobby shops. The really good ones will take the extra step to serve the customer. Unlike the big box stores that will not make any effort at all to procure anything other than what is in the store.

Best thing I have found is Plasticote "cast iron" paint from the auto parts store. It covers in one coat, dries quick, wont rub off and best of all it looks like cast iron. It cost about 6 bucks and one can lasts me about a year.

Raisin

Best thing I have found is Plasticote "cast iron" paint from the auto parts store. It covers in one coat, dries quick, wont rub off and best of all it looks like cast iron. It cost about 6 bucks and one can lasts me about a year.

Raisin