Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seamus McKinney's truck

Given the peculiar nature of the vehicle presented here, I thought it encumbent upon me to offer some explanation of how such a conveyance might come to exist. For that pupose I offer you...

The Tale of Seamus McKinney's Truck

Seamus McKinney lives on a modest fourty acre spread, north west of Eldora, Colorado. Sylas McKinney, Seamus' Granda', bought the land with the procedes from his partnership in the fourth of July Silver Mine (now a state park).
Seamus' Father, Sean McKinney, ran off with a Lithuanian footwear model when Seamus was just a lad (just to be clear, the model was Lithuanian. The footwear was made in a dirt floored shack in Taipai under a French lable).
Mother McKinney moved to Boulder several years ago to open a hand made candle boutique, Leaving Seamus the property, two goats, Roxanne the mule, and seven llamas.

llama_zps33bd8311.jpg
Now, about the truck. Three winters past, a flatlander was criusing the back roads in his four wheel drive F-150 when he spotted Puck and Ariadne frolicking in the snowy valley below (I may have forgotten to mention that the llamas were all named after mythological characters). He pulled off the road and got out to capture this peculiar sight with his trusty Nikon. Unfortunately, what he believed to be solid ground beneath his wheels was in fact a snow valence; a sort of shelf formed by wind currents sweeping snow up along a vertical ridge. This, of course, quickly succumbed to the weight of the vehicle leaving our intrepid photographer slack-jawed and shivering.
The following spring, the insurance adjuster contacted Seamus, on whose property the truck had come to rest, to arrange for its' removal. Allways one to capitalize on a situation, Seamus offered his services (and those of his Fordson tracktor) to extricate the the unfortunate vehicle from the ravine in which it now rested, wheels-up, for the modest sum of $100. The adjuster (being also a capitalist) readily accepted the offer.
As one might expect, the truck was immediately written off as a total loss. However, Seamus had noticed that the frame and running gear still seemed to be serviceable. Seeing this, a plan began to take shape. And so, after a brief negotiation, Seamus returned the "extraction fee" and took posession of the remains.
Having righted the wreck, Seamus drug it behind the chicken coop where rested Sylas' '37 Ford pickup. The '37 was in relatively good shape aside from a blown engine and the predictable results of languishing under a tarp for thirty years. The grill had been replaced with sections of irigation pipe after an encounter with a near sighted big horn sheep. And so the work began to meld the two trucks into one. No longer would Seamus have to drive the Fordson into town to pick up a sack of McGruders Llama-Vite.

IMG_2637_zps34c0fa28.jpg

IMG_2640_zpsbeae6218.jpg

IMG_2651_zps4c2e8472.jpg

IMG_2649_zps43474165.jpg

Scratch built winch and hood hinges. Chasis, engine and running gear are from lindberg F150.

More to come (as soon as I re attatch the license plate and exhaust tips that I knocked off durring the photo session)

Thanks for all the kind comments. I'm pretty blown away by all the positive feedback :blink: .

I'm pleased that you all found the story entertaining. This is actually how I aproach all my models. I begin with a back-story, then build the model to "flesh it out".

Edited by Shardik

The truck is great, love the hinged hood and the llama feed bag. The story had me in stitches. I can picture the look on our hero's face upon learning of the canoodling between his father and the footwear model.

-MJS

Thanks, Mike. The hood hinges were a classic case of over-reach; the next set will be better. The hardest part about the feed sack was finding fabric with a weave that was close to scale. I ended up using pocket lining from Joanne's fabrics.

I think I had almost as much fun writing the story as I did building the truck. I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it.

Edited by Shardik

COOL

Thanks, Jake.

Hey, I just noticed that you replicated your 1:1 truck with the same Lindberg kit that I used for the chasis on this one. Were you as surprised by the quality of this kit as I was? Lots more detail than I'm accustomed to finding under their lable, and you made very good use of it.

Edited by Shardik

• 2 weeks later...