Model Cars Magazine Forum

Read A Good Book Lately?

Tom Geiger

Just started The War on Small Business by Carol Roth.

As someone who's self-employed, and has long maintained an academic interest in entrepreneurship and self-sustainability for people using business ownership as a vehicle, I'm enjoying this book very much. Really gets into a lot of the mechanations of how government and big business keep you underfoot.

For a little lighter reading, Faitful Spy by Alex Berensen is pretty good. Tracks a CIA operative trying un-embed himself from Al-Qaeda c. 2011-'12. Lots of details, you can't read it very quickly, but it's still fast-paced, if that makes sense.

In the queue: The Road to Serfdom by Franz Hayek.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, charlie8575 said:

In the queue: The Road to Serfdom by Franz Hayek.

I've heard several people whose opinions I respect say very good things about this book. It looks like we might be indeed on that road, and have probably even passed the last exit before final destination. :blink:

55 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

...It looks like we might be indeed on that road, and have probably even passed the last exit before final destination. :blink:

You vill own nussing und you vill be happy, so shut up und eat ze bugs.

Young G on Twitter: "Tell Klaus I want 2 pieces of thin meat cuz im ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Haha 3

On 3/28/2023 at 3:41 PM, Mike C. said:

"Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain.

That's a fun read. I've read it a few times (sometimes just certain passages). Leee Childers cracks me up !

Have you read Walter Lure's To Hell And Back ? Wonderful read by the most rational, accessible member of The Heartbreakers.

The next music biography - an autobiography - I'm going to get is Time Between by Chris Hillman. He's offering signed copies of it via his website.

I've been reading Shōgun , which has been on my list since age 7 (but, mum wouldn't let me read it back then: "It's too violent for someone your age. Besides, you wouldn't understand it.")

I can't argue - in my adult years - those points. It seems more detailed about sexual content and bodily functions than violence (haha).

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

That's a fun read. I've read it a few times (sometimes just certain passages). Leee Childers cracks me up !

Have you read Walter Lure's To Hell And Back ? Wonderful read by the most rational, accessible member of The Heartbreakers.

The next music biography - an autobiography - I'm going to get is Time Between by Chris Hillman. He's offering signed copies of it via his website.

A friend gave it to me years ago, and I sent it down to my sister in MD. She likes that kind of music too. I will look out for that Hell and Back though.

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, Snake45 said:

I've heard several people whose opinions I respect say very good things about this book. It looks like we might be indeed on that road, and have probably even passed the last exit before final destination. :blink:

Not sure if we've passed the last exit, but I do think it's coming up...soon. Through activities they don't like us discussing here, I'm trying to help make a U-turn, or at least put the brakes on.

Charlie Larkin