Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing growing as we speak

Aside from resolution issues - eg being smooth enough to print a body - there is the issue of print area. That printer can only print as large and as tall as that little black box below it and the height of the print arm...in that case it's nowhere near big enough to print a body, unless you made a multi-piece Palmer-esque body. Wheels, tires, hoods, bumpers, dashboards, interior pieces, etc IF the resolution was good enough, but you need a machine with a 8" square of printing surface to make a body front to back.

Gents,

With all the hype here regarding 3D printers, I seriously went out and started to shop for one. Looking at software, getting samples, looking at costs of raw materials etc, etc. I have even went to the trouble of learning CAD software (still in the process...big job..can't put it down.....kinda like Rubic's Cube).

What did I find?

First, the resolution and fidelity on the 'consumer grade" printers SUCKS! As do close parts tolerances on the FDM based printers, as the plastic cools unevenly.

2nd, the out put is very grainy or stripey. One will have to fill and sand till the cows come home, so they are really only good for for big pieces right now.

Perhaps this is why the manufacturers show dog dishes, flower vase and trolls as output samples ;)

3rd, they take hours to print, some so long that you can get optional software to monitor the thing by cell phone!

I can perhaps, see a busy resin caster/master maker using one, lets say to produce a round tire, rather than going to a lathe, but short of using a $40,000.00 3D wax printer I just don't see it for home modelling. They certainly aren't at the point that lug nuts or raised letters can be reproduced nicely.

I think if guys are serious about 3D printer possibilities in modeling, then the path is to learn CAD and farm out the printing to a service that offers prints from high end machines.

Regards

Brian Kroon

"the path is to learn CAD and farm out the printing to a service that offers prints from high end machines"

I'm with Brian on this, at least in the short term.........if one can take the time to learn the CAD skills, then the sky is the limit what with all the online printing services available.....lots of different materials and even metal.......and the price is coming down every day............

3D printing is indeed coming to the masses..........heck, the main library here in San Diego has 3 MakerBot machines available to whoever wants to use them........and no doubt a lot of us will someday have one on our bench......but I suspect it's still a ways off until the home machines are ready for what most of us want to do with them...............

Tony

Edited by ajwheels

I've been enjoying the plastic model building hobby for over 50 years and still do. Sooooooooooooo, why would I want to invest money into having a 3D printer? I'm doing just fine without one. All the latest gadgets are great for the retailers, as there are millions of people just waiting to shell out their money for the latest this or that whether they need them or not.

Brian, you brought some real sanity and knowledge to this discussion. There's no telling how long it will take for 3D printers to provide the price/performance value that modelers desire, but I think that aftermarket vendors can make a decent produict available far in advance of that, with a substantial investment. I don't think Shapeways is there yet, but they may be in the near future. In the meantime, interested modelers will need to learn the software to provide to those vendors to produce custom pieces.

The only one of our members who seems to be doing this successfully is NormL, who is building an Ariel Atom, yet he still appears to have to go through a lot of trial and error and money, and we haven't heard from him in a long time.

Edited by sjordan2

• 1 month later...

Anybody who is seriously considering getting into 3D printing is going to HAVE to learn some CAD first.

Point-scan-print, that some folks seem to think is right down the road, is a ways off I'm afraid.

BUT (big but) you can learn SketchUp for free, and the software is free from google. http://www.sketchup.com/

Okay, now you've got your feet wet. I got this email today. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds intriguing...

Did you know that IronCAD invests heavily in R&D to make their product easy to learn?

Designers that have experienced Solidworks, Solid Edge, or Inventor quickly discover that IRONCAD is truly a remarkable program. Using an innovative design approach, you work directly in 3D, simply dragging and dropping standard or customized components into your design. Editing and positioning is simply done by pushing and pulling handles. It's like working with intelligent Lego® pieces that can align and size themselves automatically relative to one another.

You can intuitively and efficiently make changes at any stage in the design process to experiment with multiple ideas and quickly arrive at an optimal solution. You no longer need to worry about traditional rules, constraints, multiple part file management, or cumbersome datum planes. With minimal training, you will be confident that you get up to speed in hours and become proficient in days.

To learn more about IronCAD's easy to learn solution, visit www.ironcad.com.

Whatcha waitin' for?

I've delt with a few 3D printed parts and have no doubt we will see more availability of these in the future. Especially when technology increases and prices come down.

Model related, but not car related,

I am having a new bridge rendered for my 3 foot Galactica. The kit supplied resin bridge is just not up to the standards set by the rest of the kit. I'm not doing the render myself, a friend is. I'll send it to Shapeways for printing when the render is done. The model will feature several 3D printed parts when done.

Stock part

post-9743-0-36649700-1400854757_thumb.jp

Render in progress

post-9743-0-68669300-1400854771_thumb.pn

and the big picture!

post-9743-0-95209200-1400854798_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Some more news on the 3D printer front. Seems as though Ford has been doing this for quite some time, I'd be surprised if the other manufacturers weren't as well.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248818/Inside_Ford_s_3D_Printing_Lab_where_thousands_of_parts_are_made?source=CTWNLE_nlt_dailyam_2014-06-04

3D printing has been mainstream for thinking industrial manufacturers for a while, but the cost of high-resolution parts for hobbyists is just recently beginning to become affordable.

I've been enjoying the plastic model building hobby for over 50 years and still do. Sooooooooooooo, why would I want to invest money into having a 3D printer? I'm doing just fine without one. All the latest gadgets are great for the retailers, as there are millions of people just waiting to shell out their money for the latest this or that whether they need them or not.

Use your imagination, Nick. Maybe this will help you get those hard to find parts you've always wanted. Imagine if you wanted a particular style injection setup for a dragster and could just get it printed out, rather than finding someone with good enough skills to master one.

or how about that rare kit with a missing rim or other part?

how much time and money do you spend on casting resin parts?

For doing stuff in 3d in as smooth as resin parts you will pay more for the machine time it takes and also what it takes to draw out the part for the stl programs. So doing casting g is the cheapest way to go in the long run. Like it has said 100 times all ready the videos you see have been time inhance as to do eeven a 1/24 scale valve cover at .008mm high resaloution it takes more then 4hrs toprint just one part.

For thinking about going to use the nice little makerbot at your local library they can only do .2mm red and that very poor quality to try to sell to the public and more detail is lost because of this issue.

Now if you are a resin caster and want to have the masters done the price for either abs in .080 or .008 or even in stainless steel at .1 or .050 then you would make your money back but I do not seeing a ton of you people paying for this machine to do stainless steel or even a machine to run abs under .1mm

I am currently attempting to build the Shapeways (?) Offy motor. lots of cleanup necessary even in 1/8 scale. and the material is NOT easy to clean up...and their suggestion to use filling primer is daffy...yeah use it and obscure all the detail...just don't work out.

I also bought the upgrade of cast resin parts but I think they sent me seconds because there are gaps and flaws that no good resin caster (i.e.: Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland among others) would let get by. I guess that's what I get for waiting to order the upgrades (note: CAST resin not 3D printed...whats that tell ya?), maybe they were out of the clean ones like my friend Roger showed me. His looked nice; mine not so nice.

after this experience I am going to have to see some drastic improvements before I attempt another of these and judging from the roughness of the motor, no way are 1/24 parts going to be on the horizon anytime soon. smooth ones I mean.

jb

I have a pair of 1/25 aluminum flathead heads done by my friend Pico that have to be seen to be believed. Only a single coat of Duplicolor primer made them just hunky dunky. But I guess they don't really exist, eh?

And don't forget, bumblebees can't fly (according to some outdated understandings of aerodynamics). The bumblebees didn't know that, though. <_<

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

well see now something like a finned flathead cover would be the ideal thing to produce as you could theoretically align the fins with the inevitable stripes that were apparent at least on my copy, caused by the "printing" head moving back and forth as if hoeing a field into rows. so it might be quite possible to produce a finned item in 1/24. but lets see a near-polished surface straight from the printer as most good resin casting these days produces.

keep in mind I bought the base motor at least a couple years ago. things have moved on quite a bit since, but still I would like to see what could actually be done in 1/24 but so far what ive seen has been pretty crude compared to a nice casting.

jb

well see now something like a finned flathead cover would be the ideal thing to produce as you could theoretically align the fins with the inevitable stripes that were apparent at least on my copy, caused by the "printing" head moving back and forth as if hoeing a field into rows. so it might be quite possible to produce a finned item in 1/24. but lets see a near-polished surface straight from the printer as most good resin casting these days produces.

keep in mind I bought the base motor at least a couple years ago. things have moved on quite a bit since, but still I would like to see what could actually be done in 1/24 but so far what ive seen has been pretty crude compared to a nice casting.

jb

You asked for it, I'll give it. https://www.google.com/search?q=dlp+3d+printer+kit&client=ubuntu-browser&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dEySU-KLIuXC8QH_94D4CA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1448&bih=743&dpr=0.67#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=RXbsBF6Xa8edIM%253A%3BEUxTXk5D7-3ivM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F3dprinting.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2012%252F06%252FMiicraft-Eiffel-Tower.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F3dprinting.com%252F3dprinters%252Fmiicraft-dlp-3d-printer%252F%3B460%3B512

ok but the thing is, in most of the websites linked to the photos from that google search, there are a lot of objects that I cannot really tell how big they are, and the ones that you can, like the miniature Eiffel tower, its a subject that lends itself to a straight line sort of process that hides the problems with the three D printers. can you show me an image of a 1/24 scale say engine block with a smooth polished surface, or at least a very subtle only realistic casting look to it?

im not saying this isn't possible because I think this technology has a big big promise for the future; I am just saying in my experience I haven't seen really nice small scale detailed parts, particularly not in person where it is easier to judge exactly what it is you are looking at.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

This should pretty well satisfy your doubt. The prints in these vidios are untouched and are exactly as you see them when they come off the printer. These printers are just now starting to show up in numbers. They work entirely different than the fff and fdm printers. http://www.electrictv.com/?p=15143

This one I want to try to build over the summer-http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-high-resolution-3D-DLP-printer-3D-printer/ It has a build platform of 4" X4" X however high you make the x axis and a layer thickness of 100nm. That is the distance between your thumb and index finger pinched together. They print from the top down vertically instead of bottom up horizontally. It should rum me about $1k. Enjoy. This is how the technology is growing, not these cheap knock offs listed in this thread.

• 3 months later...