Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing growing as we speak

On a related subject, a new digital desktop laser cutter is being introduced in December that could make it easy to produce custom PE parts like scripts, etc, if some business would offer it as a service (at around $4000, it's not exactly useful for home hobbyists). Like other laser cutters, it cuts flat materials in a variety of thicknesses and can cut on curves.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/22/glowforge-3d-laser-printer/

On a related subject, a new digital desktop laser cutter is being introduced in December that could make it easy to produce custom PE parts like scripts, etc, if some business would offer it as a service (at around $4000, it's not exactly useful for home hobbyists). Like other laser cutters, it cuts flat materials in a variety of thicknesses and can cut on curves.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/22/glowforge-3d-laser-printer/

They seem to tip-toe around mentioning the ability to cut metal, and only specifically mention etching metal once:

"With regard to materials, you have listed on the website that you can cut wood, acrylic, fabric, and etch on metal"

Maybe it would work with brass on full power, but I doubt it would cut through stainless steel or similar very hard metals at this point. It's a very interesting concept, and for softer materials sounds ideal, especially if you don't mind everything working through a cloud, without any actual in-hand software. The whole "pauses printing when it loses connection with the cloud" doesn't sound like the most reliable thing to me, but I'm sure if you invested $4000+ a stable internet connection would be a minor concern.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a general article on 3D Printing about where we are at the end of this year. It's a pretty good read on where we are and where we are going.

http://warontherocks.com/2015/12/3-d-printing-will-disrupt-the-world-in-ways-we-can-barely-imagine/

Very interesting.  I had not thought about the upheaval of Chinese society!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whatever the price, it's too much. It's an FDM machine. in other words, it uses filament and is not capable of giving really fine detail as sla/dlp 3d printer will. here is a link to an explanation of the difference in the two. https://all3dp.com/fdm-vs-sla/. Two things I will correct in this article are: 1-You don't have to replace the resin vat on a dlp machine. The resin is universal to all machines and costs between $60 and $85 dollars for a liter. You can print a lot with one liter. Many jewelers use a dlp printer to do there jewelry. There is a special resin specifically for that purpose. Many of them use this printer: https://www.b9c.com/.

Those of you who are familiar with me, know that I know what I am talking about. I own both a fdm and a dlp printer. Both were built by me. I have posted, in detail, prints from both machines and explained the difference between the two. The picture of the 1:24/25 spark plugs I posted were just too tiny for my camera to focus on. People who have seen them in the real are in complete awe and amazement. Here is a pic of the front suspension steering knuckle and spindle to my 1935 Lasalle in 1:24/25. You can't do this with an fdm filament machine.

DSCN0577.thumb.JPG.f47238b7ac686f3095dfd

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Personally, I don't believe that the introduction of another cheap 3d printer of this type technology is growth. This is what I consider growth.

I'll explain the importance in the development of the faster speed. The following frame took me 13 hrs total of print time to produce. Add to that set up time, clean up time, cad time to make one frame into 3 parts. The gas tank took 4+ hours. With the technology of the NewPro printer your looking at a print time of less than 1 hr, plus the fact that you would be able to print with tighter layer and x-y specks to greatly improve the quality of the print. Also, the frame could be made with one print. The other consideration is the saving of time the dlp projector is in use, thus extending the amount of time before the bulb needs to be replaced. Bulbs run into the $100's.   

DSCN0666.thumb.JPG.0a72d72084027ee8b5d07

Edited by my66s55

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/mattel-is-making-a-300-3d-printing-toy-studio-for-kids-1759078152

Obviously a lot will depend on how good the results are, and how easy it s to use.

That's amazing!  I wonder how long it will take for someone to figure out how to print out stuff other than what's in the app?

I'd buy one in a shot if I could print parts that I could actually use!

• 2 weeks later...

That's amazing!  I wonder how long it will take for someone to figure out how to print out stuff other than what's in the app?
I'd buy one in a shot if I could print parts that I could actually use!

I've been doing it for years and also repeating myself time and time again.... This is where 3D CAD programs come into the mix along with the skills to model parts in 3D. Having a 3D printer does no one any good until they can model the parts they need in 3D. The printer has to have an STL file to print a 3D part...

The tire and wheel in the pic were modeled in 3D, exported as STL files and sent to Shapeways to print...

Mark

MVC020F-vi.jpg

Edited by astroracer

My question though, Mark, was if someone will figure out how to print an STL file on that little kid-grade printer.  Now THAT would be cool

No, not going to happen on THAT printer... It does not have the resolution or ability to print anything that fine. It would be like trying to paint a 1/24th scale instrument cluster with a 4" brush. Just can't do it.

Mark

Edited by astroracer