Model Cars Magazine Forum

hi all, I have several kits in line to build, and have started a revell w900. last night I gave a go at detailing the dashboard, looks ok to me [and once installed will never see the light of day again, but...], here is where I'm at with it

photo_zpsae844f26.jpg

would like to see more pic's of dashes of several different trucks for future reference, and any tips you could provide for painting these pesky little guys would be appreciated.

thanks for the replies, I thought maybe I missed the mark on this, but thanks to you all, I'm feeling better about it :) such small bits to try to detail. I also did a bit of a two tone on the rest of the interior, the main color is tan, and I did the bunk blanket/pillow in brown, and made an attempt at painting the seat inlay 'squares' in brown as well to try to tie it together, will post pic's of that once I'm pleased with the outcome of those.

thanks again for the input.

Your really not that far off. I dont know what color the rest of your interior is but i spray the majority color first. In this case it was black. I then masked it and sprayes the brown on the right hand side. Then i brush painted a wood color around the gauge cluster area. Use thin coats with thinned paint to minimize buildup. I then drybrush woodgrain colors. I then coat with Tamiya clear orange which gives it a polyurethaned wood look. I avoid the gauges which are still black from the first spray. I then hit the gauge rings with a silver sharpie and a steady hand. The inner gauges were drybrushed with silver paint. Thats how i did this particular dash. There are many other methods and techniques others use.

Hope that all makes sense! Its not hard just tedious. Just look at pictures of the real thing and duplicate what you see. The key is keep your paint light as to not obscure details and make sure the sheens are accurate!

All glossy usually looks toy like. Vary sheens to somulate the different materials used on the real thing.

Jason, yes, makes perfect sense. my main color is tan, secondary being brown. I didn't give the different sheens a thought, and need to explore more color options for 'wood' related stuff [not sure whats out there really], and in a million years would have never thought of the clear orange....

thanks, gives me some stuff to think about and try on the next one, and I may revisit this one and re-vamp it a bit.

thanks again.

tbill, Testors Model Master line offers several military colors in enamel and acyrlic that can be used for interior colors. They offer several browns, tans, countless greens, innumerable grays... I have a lot or colors left over from my armor modeling days and use them for all my interiors. They tend to have a sheen that's not dead-flat but closer to a satin finish. Also, Testors offers several clear coats; flat, satin, semi-gloss and gloss. Getting the interior look you want just requires a little experimentation.

I'm useing testors enamel, i bought a 'general' kit, the auto detail kit, and i almost think a military kit [for the flat colors] to get started. i suppose a trip to hobby lobby is in order to check out the selection of other colors available, and do some experimenting.

well, i went with what was readily available, and to be honest, it's what i used 'back in the day'. for a first attempt, i am pleased, but now that i am armed with more info, i'm sure my next one will come out better.

thanks a ton for the advice and pic's of what can be accomplished, it helps a lot.

No problem! I hope i am able to help you. If you want to build the best models you can and continue to improve my advice is to ask for honest feedback or criticism. Be prepared to take the good with the bad. There are many experienced modelers here and many will help you but you need to be able to handle being told what is wrong with something you have built. I always ask for comments and feedback whenever i post a build. Someone may point out something i missed or did wrong. I try to build as nice a model as i can and improve and learn with each one. Thanks

Oh and you mentioned something about the seats and how you were painting them. Here are the ones for the interior i posted before. These were preshaded in the creases then airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics then drybrushed wirh a lightend version of the base color

20130706_195340.jpg

Edited by Mach1revo

those looks incredible!

and yes, i am open to feedback/criticism, it is what it is, i know at this point i cannot build like some others on the site, but, with time/practice/experience, it'll come together for me, and i know it won't be overnight either, but it's relaxing for me, and as i learn i can implement certain things into future builds.

matter of fact, after messing up my first cab/hood paint job, i looked at my dash and interior tub, tossed them in the booth and hit them with some 'dull coat', that in itself made a huge difference, took the 'toy' look away a bit [as you had advised].

thanks again for your advice and pic's, great feedback, and as i said, as long as i have the info, it can only get better.

edit, was going to add more, but couldn't phrase it right...

Edited by tbill