Model Cars Magazine Forum

KW W900 [done 10-12-13]

hi all, my first go at a truck build in a looooong time, I'm pleased so far, and learning as I go. nothing fancy, just a straight out of the box build [gotta start somewhere]. here is where I am so far,

photo_zpse9368035.jpg

photo_zps7543e639.jpg

photo_zps8d6faf7a.jpg

photo_zpsea02d09a.jpg

photo_zps58c00ee4.jpg

photo_zps274269fc.jpg

also have some of the interior done,

photo_zpsae844f26.jpg

photo_zpsb6f0e893.jpg

photo_zps0144c1ff.jpg

have to fix one of the seats, paint got away from me a bit, but no big deal to cure. currently have the body wet sanded and in it's first coat of primer, will put it in the dehydrator in a little bit. wish me luck....

Edited by tbill

epic fail :( after a few days of work, i have drenched the cab in paint.....oooops..., it all started with a good cleaning, followed by a 600 wet sand, dry, primer, dehydrator. [next day], sand with 6k, smooth as silk, re prime, dehydrator. tonight, wet sand [looks great at this point], paper towel dry, and in the can for 30 minutes. warm the paint [rattle can], set up the 'booth', and spray away.

this is the point that i turned back into a little kid :unsure: first dusting looks good, so lets pound the paint to it........ :rolleyes:

so, we are off to get some purple for the pond in the next day or so...

upside is, what isn't sagging or pooling, looks awesome :D no orange peel or dry spots, so a lesson was learned here B)

so, after i get the stuff to de-paint it, i'll give it another go....

well, I had my first experience with the 'pond' [in my case, green], had to remove all evidence of my first failure :rolleyes:

after some soaking and scrubbing, I almost had it clean,

photo_zpsf50522a8.jpg

I finally got it back to square one, but now I need some more help :D

here is where I am at now,

photo_zpse2c94433.jpg

photo_zpsf803e344.jpg

photo_zpsb1d5f350.jpg

photo_zps55160770.jpg

now, my question is this [well, one of them anyway], see the sleeper door panel lines, they are way more white in person, what causes this? the cab door lines look ok, but the sleeper lines don't, is this due to them being deeper? or did I just not get enough paint in there? or should I scribe and blackwash to help avoid this in future?

also, pic of the rear of cab is to highlight my 'peel', what are my options here as far as smoothing it out? should I clear it, then sand that, or color sand this, then clear? or say good enough for my second first paint job and do better on the next one?

as always, thanks for reading.

If you are using Testors enamel that could be it.that stuff wants to run,sag separate on corners.have to paint with fine mist and let it build up. I stopped using that years ago. Went too krylon and Duplicolor.

Peeling don't know. If you want too sand it and repaint and clear, I have done that.

well, I cleared it this morning, hood looks real good, didn't have much orange peel in that to start with. i'm hoping I got enough clear on the cab so I can try to flatten it out. I happened to go to hobby lobby today and picked up a micro polish pad set. the parts are currently in the dehydrator, so tomorrow i'm going to try to sand/polish it out and see what happens.

• Was the instrument panel a decal, did you paint decals or were you able to do this by brush?

Very sharp looking. It polished out really well! And that engine? wow!

thanks. the dash was hand painted with a teeny tiny brush and a magnifying glass. i couldn't paint the needles though, maybe on the next one....