Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Custom "Spearmint"

mrmike

A new project and the return of an old favorite...McNally, Boston PI. This WIP is more about the build than the story. The story is titled Daddy Was A Cop and is only to show what is driving this WIP.

The Story

McNally and his buddy Vic pushed the old Ford out of the garage and into the sunlight. His father's old Ford hadn't run in years and McNally wanted to get the car running again. As they worked on the engine, Vic, not ever knowing the elder McNally, started asking about him. McNally said that his Dad was a sergeant on the Boston Police Department and he was killed in the line of duty. His father acquired the car because he loved '57 Fords and cruising. Carb adjustment, new plugs and points and the engine finally starts, but it doesn't run strong. Vic hops into his Dodge Dakota and heads to the parts store for a new coil.

When Vic returns, he asks about McNally's father again. McNally tells him that his father met a Boston socialite named Stephanie and the two dated for a while and eventually married. Young McNally was born nine months later and his father called him "my future cop" much to his mother's chagrin. As he grew, his parents started to drift apart and by the time young McNally graduated from high school, his parents had separated. Neither parent was around when young McNally decided to enlist in the Army.

The Build

I am using Revell's new '57 Ford Custom kit for this build and it will be built as a street machine. The engine will get the dual carbs and intake. I will attempt to make a pair of cheater slicks out of the drag slicks in the kit. I will also add a floor shifter to the interior.

57Custom01.jpg

My paint will be a tu-tone scheme using Tamiya TS-20 Metallic Green for the main body color and Tamiya TS-7 Racing White for the secondary color.

57Custom02.jpg

57Custom03.jpg

McNally, Boston PI will return...

Edited by mrmike

Hmmm....the Racing White will look good for the Colonial White, as it was a slightly cream-color. I'd recommend a white primer underneath to keep it from going too cream-color.

I'm not sure about the metallic green, I'm kind of curious to see how it'll look on this car. You may wish to consider decanting it and darkening it a little with some black or their BRG, might work on the shape a bit better.

Whatever you decide, I know a first-rate model will be the result. These Fords are a nice kit, I have two (one regular and the police car), and the quality of the the molding and parts are very good, and will result in a nice product with minimal fuss in putting it together.

Good to see you back at the bench and McNally back on the board.

Charlie Larkin

In my mind the two colors should look good together and I am a bit concern about the green looking...too green. I was thinking about using a gray primer to help darken the green slightly. As far as the interior is concerned, I thinking of a tu-tone green with the gray interior decals, but that may change.

It has been awhile since McNally has shown is literary face on the board and I have been wanting his return sooner than later. I have recently completed the story, so I have plenty to choose from for the board to read and hopefully...enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I have decided to forge ahead with Tamiya TS-20 straight out of the can. Previous experience with this paint has produced a nice looking green that in my mind will look great on the '57 Ford.

The Story

McNally and Vic take a break for lunch and Mc tells him the story of his family. His father's parents had died in a car crash, but were loving grandparents and his mother's parents had shunned them because they weren't of "high society" due to his father being a cop. When his parents divorced, he was stationed in Germany with the Army. His father continued working the beat as a cop and his mother had disappeared, possibly traveling around the world with her family and friends. McNally would get a Christmas or birthday card every other year or so.

The Build

Out of work early meant an afternoon of working on "Spearmint". I painted the wheels, headlight bezels, and the underside of the hood with Tamiya TS-20 Metallic Green

57Custom04.jpg

I painted the engine with Testors #2918 Guards Red.

57Custom05.jpg

I masked the body and painted the roof, tail fins, and trunk lid with Tamiya TS-7 Racing White. I'll let the white dry overnight and remask the body and paint the rest of it with the Metallic Green.

57Custom06.jpg

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Carl!

The Story

After seven years in the Army and serving as part of the U.S. Army Criminal Investigative Division, McNally was honorably discharged. When he returned home, he joined the Boston Police Department as a patrolman which made his father very proud. Ray McNally threw a big party for his son, who in his eyes, was still "my future cop" as he was called since he was a baby. After the party and all of the guests had left, young McNally went looking for his father who was in the garage sitting in his non running '57 Ford, quite drunk. Ray tells his son how he wished that young McNally's mother was there to see him in uniform as a patrolman. He gets out of the old car and nearly falls to the garage floor with young McNally catching him before he does. After helping his father into the house and up to bed, he goes outside and sits on the back steps and wonders about his mother and where she could be.

The Build

After spending considerable time masking and praying that I had everything sealed, it was back into the paintbooth for another painting session. The body got several mist coats and several wet coats of Tamiya TS-20 Metallic Green. This color is reminiscent of the green that my first car, a '56 Ford Customline 4-door sedan, was.

57Custom07.jpg

57Custom08.jpg

57Custom09.jpg

McNally will return...

Thanks Michael, Charlie, Shane and Andy!

The Story

The following year saw young Police Patrol Officer McNally trying to make a name for himself as an Officer. A few undercover operations, solid investigating, and following procedures were helping to build himself an excellent reputation within the Department and with the District Attorney’s Office. It was almost as if he could do no wrong. It brought an opportunity to try for his detectives shield. A test that young McNally passes with very little difficulty.

The Build

I removed the tape before I turned in last night and it came out pretty good. Some touch ups are necessary, but it has met my expectations. Have a look...

57Custom10.jpg

57Custom11.jpg

57Custom12.jpg

This is going to look even better once I get it foiled!

McNally will return...

Awesome; another story teller. I really think this lends another dimension to the build. It sound like this is an ongoing theme. Do you have other excerpts posted somewhere? I'd like to get more of the back-story, if there is one.

Oh yeah! You posted a model too :P !

Seriously, I like this kit and what you've done with it. Bold choice with that color combo. I had doubts myself until the masking came off. Looks good!

I look forward to seeing (and reading more).

Edited by Shardik

Thanks guys!

Johann, I have been doing this type of build for about 4 years now. I find that it gives me a little bit more of an incentive to build a model that has "meaning", versus just building a model. My influence for writing comes from the late author Robert B. Parker, the creator of the very popular Spenser novels. The first model I built (2006 Ford Mustang GT) with a story to it was more of an introduction to some of the characters than a story. The second story (2006 Dodge Charger R/T) was a more defined story and it has been growing ever since. I purposely keep the stories short as to not overwhelm the WIP and to keep the focus on the build, but sometimes I fear that the interest from readers may be more for the story than the build. I am grateful that my stories are getting some notice and I hope that the build will please their eyes as well.

McNally's back story has really not been told until now and it is just one of the many facets to my character. There will be others down the road as I continue building. As long as there are models that I can incorporate into a story, there will be more stories to tell. And, I have as least one other character that I wrote a story for who might make a reappearance someday that is not related to McNally, Boston PI.

Michael, I think you put just the right amount of story in with your builds. I don't know about everyone else but, I enjoy watching your stories unfold along with the WIPs. They compliment each other nicely.

Edited by Skydime