Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner Cabover (Update 10-11-2013)

This is the first one of these I've ever built....I've heard some bad stuff about getting the cab together, and came up with a solution....It seems to have made things quite a bit easier....I got the cab put together in no time this way....I just added a lip to the insides with a thin piece of plastic and Boom.....Cab is together......Well, anyway, I extended the frame a couple of inches and made a couple of extra long fuel tanks, so far....

050a_zpsb82460a1.jpg

048a_zpsf5cfc0ca.jpg

046a_zps67735c84.jpg

044a_zps7da03926.jpg

043a_zps0e645f15.jpg

042a_zpse7ea43d9.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

JT,On mine I used a belt sander on the interior,just tap it a bit on the sides and back and test fit each time. And do the peep window too and dash as well,for that I used a sanding stick. don't have a Dremel.

For me I had a gap on each side were the back wall fits in the cab. I used thin strips on each side.

You'r tanks what size PVC is that?? Never cross my mind to try that.

Edited by clayton

Good start J.T., I like the tanks.'ve got one to start on , so I'll be watching yours! For tanks, I use 3/4 O.D. PVC, if you look in the metal trays in the nut & bolt section at LOWES, they have plastic hole plugs that with a little grinding inside the, fit the pipe ends perfect.

Should have measured instead of using my memory! I'ts 3/4 I.D. which is 1" O.D. oops!

Thanks Guys for the interest and the tips on the interior....I most certainly will test fit the tub, for sure, now, Barry.....Thanks for the tip on cleaning up the inside, too, Clayton......And, Larry, that is a super tip on the fuel tanks....I never would have thought of that....I like the curvature of the ends using that method....And I used 1" PVC pipe for them, as well.....Funny thing....I just used a regular chop saw to cut it....I makes a nice, rough edge, so I could use regular, old fashioned tube glue to cap the ends with .060 styrene....The straps, I made with .250 wide, thin styrene plastic....I don't know how thick....I threw the packaging away, long ago.....Plastruct weld was used, there...And I stretched the frame with .060 styrene, again....I added a piece to the bottom of each side to add strength to prevent sag.....I can't wait to get back to it, and will post more as I go along....Thanks, again, for Your interest.....

Edited by kilrathy10

you might have to modify the sleeper curtain,i would test fit it before you paint the cab,it fits pretty tight around the area you put the strips to hold the cab together.Been a while since I made one,but I remember it was a bugger to get the curtain in. Harvey

Got some more done....I've built the cab, frame, and interior tub.....I painted it fleet orange, and am stripping the chrome as we speak....I sanded the roof smooth and added a sport strip down the center....Only because I made the mistake of sanding away too many rivets when I was trying to get rid of the seam....Oh well....Ended up looking pretty good, except for the seam STILL being there..... :angry::angry: But, oh well....

061a_zpse7d826a1.jpg

054a_zpsa317d364.jpg

051a_zps29a9d21c.jpg

046a_zpsf1f84d45.jpg

044a_zps4b852a34.jpg

029a_zpsf260ac40.jpg

026a_zps3777c688.jpg

025a_zps3544f663.jpg