Model Cars Magazine Forum

I built a few cars so it's back to armor for a bit. I went sideways and raided my German stash. It's the DML Pz I DAK. Lots of weathering in this. Started with Krylon gray primer, then a Tamiya mix for the sand color, washed and weathered with oils and enamels. I had a blast painting and weathering it.

I will do a small base such as the one in the photos. I plan to include a fig or two for reference.

DSCF4548_zps0637e0fa.jpg

DSCF4549_zps385eecf3.jpg

DSCF4550_zpsa293dd17.jpg

DSCF4551_zpsc11f3a91.jpg

DSCF4552_zps544bced2.jpg

DSCF4553_zps884c7d73.jpg

DSCF4554_zps275c3c39.jpg

DSCF4555_zpse2a80310.jpg

DSCF4556_zps5a0f9a7b.jpg

G

Thank you gentlemen, you too Danno.

I tried a whole bunch of new techniques and ideas with this one. Believe it or not Harry, creating the rusty muffler guards was one of the easiest things to do .

Danno the lights are painted over..............................camo you know................................

G

Edited by Agent G

I tried a whole bunch of new techniques and ideas with this one. Believe it or not Harry, creating the rusty muffler guards was one of the easiest things to do .

Maybe so, but easy or not, the end result is just spectacular. Absolutely right and realistic.

Thanks Guys.

Edward different types of paint along with sufficient time to cure lets me get away with the weathering. I base coated with Krylon gray and let that sit for a week or so. After masking I sprayed a Tamiya mix of acrylic. Scrubbing that with Windex and water revealed a worn chipped finish that didn't effect the Krylon. I used MM Sand mixed with Burnt Umber oils thinned out to coat the entire tank. It settled in the nooks and crannies. After that set for a week or more I went in with dabs of burnt umber and raw umber oil carefully blending these with a soft wide brush. Again that combo didn't effect the Krylon or the acrylic.

I concentrated on high traffic areas and operational wear and tear. This accented panel lines and hatches. You can see the tonal variations in the overhead shots clearly.

The mufflers were first given a base of thinned MM Ssand enamel, then a MM Rust enamel, then a dab of burnt umber oil. Aded wet onto wet these blended naturally requiring little brush work.

After all this sat for a week or so I spray bombed the whole thing with Dullcoat. Then I added some sand colored pigments for a real dry dusty look.

This is the second tank where I went all out with the weathering. I recently purchased "Tank Art" Volumes 1&2 and am awaiting Volume #3. These outline the techinques I used and I must say the author produces brilliant builds.

G

I might add that the key is knowing the history of the subject. These lil' beasties were shipped to North Africa in their base coat of dark gray and hastily painted some form of sand/tan in theatre. They were quite dirty by this time already so the finish was, due to this and weather, temporary to say the least. They were gone from service by mid/late 1941.

I've seen photos of guys painting these out in the middle of nowhere with a spray gun hooked to the tank's compressor. Little paint cups atop the guns meant the refills were numerous. They literally sprayed over everything. Headlights were removed or painted over. Imagine painting these in 115 degree heat day in and day out as punishment. Gives an insight on the quality of the finish eh?

G

Tru dat!

As modellers we strive for perfection in fit and finish when in reality, after learning the history of the subject, it was far from perfect in any area. I laugh when exact colors are discussed and mulled over by armchair experts, ad nauseum. There is no such thing!

All I remember about any of the vehicles I rode in and on were that they were "green". :lol:

G