Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro street '39 Chevy

Shardik

Happy day! I just got my Lenko transmission and linkage in the mail. I had originally intended to scratch build the tranny, but I didn't have any dimensional refrences so I had to go with resin.

Does anybody have any ref. pic's of the clutch can for a big block chevy with starter to mate to this?

Dang dude, that rear axle assembly is awesome!

Thanks, Roy. I just hope I can maintain the standard for the rest of the build. This is all very unfamiliar territory to me, having not spent much time with real hot rods.

Edited by Shardik

Johann that sure is looking good. Re your earlier comments about this kit's engine, when I built the Lowrider "Bomb" I substituted the engine and chassis from one of the '37 Ford kits which worked perfectly since both kits are 1/24 scale. If it's not too late maybe you can at least try the engine swap from the '37 Ford kit. I'd hate to see you not use your chassis after all the work you've done on it.

cant wait to see more keep the great work!!!

Me too! Thanks, Augie

Johann that sure is looking good. Re your earlier comments about this kit's engine, when I built the Lowrider "Bomb" I substituted the engine and chassis from one of the '37 Ford kits which worked perfectly since both kits are 1/24 scale. If it's not too late maybe you can at least try the engine swap from the '37 Ford kit. I'd hate to see you not use your chassis after all the work you've done on it.

Thanks, Richard. Actually, Jantrix had already suggested the '37 chassis to me, but I had my mind set on making a working 4 link set up. As for the engine, the current plan is to use a Ross Gibson Rat motor for the basic platform with scratch built intake, headers and other ancilaries. I already have the R.G. motor, and the block and heads look great but the rest just isn't up to the standards one would expect for the price.

That rear setup looks great, it also looks like a lot of work.

Thanks, Robert. A lot of work; yes, but I love the challenge.

I know it seems like I'm jumping around a bit, but I'm waiting on some new rod ends from RB Motion. So here's an update on the trunk lid detail.

trunk_01_zps8c25a5b3.jpg

Due to the compound curvature of the panel, I had to build up a level surface for the hinges to mount to. The structure is a completely imaginary interpretation, since I had no references and I had to accommodate the recess for the license plate. Here it is with a little primer on it. This shot gives you an idea of the complex suface geometry that I had to deal with.

trunk_04_zps406a30d1.jpg

It's still a little rough at this point, but a bit of putty and sanding should do the trick.

As allways, feel free to express your views: candid feedback keeps me on my toes.

Johann,

Your '39 Chevy Pro-Street progress is magnificent, very realistic work that you are doing. Much continued success on your great project.

Ron Berke

Thank you, Ron. I appreciate the well wishes, along with the compliment.

I finished up the trunk detail this morning, but haven't taken any pictures yet.

The rod ends arrived yesterday, so my evening is fully accounted for :) .

Hopefully I'll have some update photo's tomorrow.

I know I promised an update today, but I'm struggling with getting all the measurements for the 4-link just right. If I just had two more hands, it would be a snap :lol: .

wow some real nice work and that rear end is a model in itself!

Thanks, Jason. I'm sort of aproaching this whole project that way....a magnum opus, in a way.

whats going to be a front base on mustag 2 or vette

I'm leaning towards Mustang II, twice removed. IE: my interpretation of an aftermarket suspension based on the Mustang II.

Looking forward to more updates.

Unfortunately, updates will be temporarily delayed. Previously I mentioned that I could use two more hands; Well, now I find I am in need of three, as one of my originals has been rendered temporarily inoperative. ...There's a reason they call them razor saws! :wacko: