Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many of you remember the 12 O'Clock High series from the mid-60s?

Thinking back to when I was much younger, my interest in WWII army air force history can be traced back to watching that TV show. Of course, it was a spin-off of the original movie, made in 1949, that starred Gregory Peck.

Robert Lansing and Paul Burke starred in the television series, with occasional appearances by Jack Lord (of Hawaii 5-O fame) and William Shatner (Star Trek), among others. I've admired the B-17 as a combat aircraft ever since then, and I hold in the highest regard all WWII vets, but the air crews that faced such poor odds in the ETO, early in the war, have always held a special place in my heart.

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing any other recollections of the show, what it meant to you or someone you know, or how it may have tied into your interest in the war, military history, etc...

That series was on TV again. When I had Cox cable I saw it a couple times and being 62 I do remember when it was on TV. I want to say it was on Me Tv lately but not sure that was the channel. Have Direct TV so I can't check to be sure. Is any episodes available on youtube ?

FASTBACK340, on 02 Oct 2013 - 5:56 PM, said:

Yup. That and Rat Patrol.... Cool vintage War shows.

Both of these, as well as "Combat" with Vic Morrow. I too was impressed at an early age with the aircraft from WWII. I built many of them as a youngster.

Black Sheep and 12 Oclock High...no connection to each other aside from the fact they were both WWII. Black sheep, commanded by Major Pappy Boyington was a Marine Corsair unit in the Pacific theater. 12 Oclock High was a U.S. Army Air Corps Bomber unit in the European Theater.

Me, too. What was that submarine drama? Silent Running? Remember Sky King? How about Commander Cody? Super Car? Soupy Sales? Revell and Monogram as seperate companies? Parts Paks new on the shelf? LHS with Friday night slot car races? Tube televisions as new technology? Underground radio? Payola? Flag starters at the drags? Sunday!! Sunday!! Sunday! At Milan dragway. It's Dyno Don Nicholson in his alcohol burning fuel injected ford Falcon burning down the track at 120 miles per hour!!! Sunday!!!

What is this, trolling for old guys??

Full disclosure: 66 next month and building my first 1:1 drag car.

Dale

Oh yeah, I remember all those shows. I also used to watch Combat with Vic Morrow and Rick Jason. Nothing like good Army shows. I've got a bunch of old VCR tapes of WWII movies buried in my basement. I loved the Band of Brothers that was on HBO and then shown many times again either on SpikeTV or AMC . I also loved Saving Private Ryan... I must have seen that movie about 5 times.

Harry, uh you slide yer local Alderman a hunnert . Memorable Entertainment television is supposed to head quartered in Chicago. Where in the city, I dunno, I was scared to google the area as I figure some street thug might steal my place while I'm looking on the Google map

And Thunderbirds.... Super Car and Thunderbirds. I had a strange fascination with the marionettes as a child, but yet they creeped me out.

Gee, I thought that I was the only one who got creeped out by them. But you forgot to ad Stingray to the list.