Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Daytona Continental Fairlane

o-man

I decided to try my hand at a "darkside" NASCAR road racing car. Fairlane was an experimental testbed for unibody chassis if I read correctly over on Randy Ayer's site. I think it was the only time it ran before being shipped to Europe.
First, a picture of real car.
Ford_Fairlane_09pop-vi.jpg

Used this Revell kit.
DSCN1867-vi.jpg

I removed all the chrome trim from body sides of car and also removed part of front fender, oops! Removed shock towers like on racecar and put chassis tubes in engine bay.
DSCN2065-vi.jpg
DSCN2066-vi.jpg
DSCN2067-vi.jpg
Ford_Fairlane3vi-vi.jpg
DSCN2115-vi.jpg
DSCN2805-vi.jpg
DSCN2806-vi.jpg

Used Plastic Performance Products wheels, tires, and rollcage kit. Had to narrow cage since it was made to fit the AMT 63/64 Galaxies. No closeups due to fact I didn't get tubes lined up quite right. How you guys make and square up rollcages has my utmost respect! Decals where a combination of some NASCAR decals picked up at NNL show in NC and Professor Motor Roundels and numbers.
DSCN2149-vi.jpg

Undercarraige shot. Not very accurate to real car. I think it had dual rear shocks and a modified 4 link in rear.
DSCN2804-vi.jpg

On to the finished shots. This is the most ambushes model I've done; I'm sure it's just a small ripple in the pond of you masters. Comments and constructive criticisms welcomed.
DSCN2815-vi.jpg
DSCN2807-vi.jpg
DSCN2808-vi.jpg
DSCN2810-vi.jpg
DSCN2811-vi.jpg
DSCN2816-vi.jpg
DSCN2814-vi.jpg

Nicely done. I was hoping it was this.

post-5771-0-19910200-1380760987_thumb.jp

It is a Falcon driven in the '62 Sebring race by Marvin Panch and Jocko Maggiacomo.They finished 2nd in the ASR class behind Jim Hall in his Chapparral. This was an amazing accomplishment considering it was just a thought 2 weeks earlier. Yes it was built by Hollman Moody in less than two weeks and powered by a 221 V8.