Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Willys drag coupe

Mrdarkmonkey96

First off, I want people to pick this model to pieces. be honest, but not mean. If you dont like something say so! Im trying to improve as much as I can, and I need feedback!!

Anyways!! Box stock on this one, I didnt follow the painting instructions entirely because weell, frankly, I like chrome. I broke the door handle for the passenger side, and my wonderful brother tryed to put the tailghts on his challenger I built him, and succeded in losing them as well. I pitched the rear bumber, as it didnt fit quite right and kept coming off.

Paint is Duplicolor paint shop lacquer. Candy Orange, and about 4 coats of clear wet sanded with 2000 in between coats, and the final coat was just compounded and waxed. the mark on the front of the hood is NOT polishing burn through, its a chip...I dropped it while the clear was tacky. anyways, PICTURE TIME!

Snapchat-8489_zps2c5f20d4.jpg

Snapchat-7158_zpsbe274831.jpg

20130930_151037_zps6bd72c0c.jpg

20130930_151018_zps28a40d31.jpg

20130930_150848_zps1aae0e81.jpg

20130930_150818_zpse4358c5d.jpg

20130930_150726_zpsff5c52f7.jpg

20130930_150707_zpsc8e9ced5.jpg

20130930_150624_zps69117ff2.jpg

Nice job! I love the color and quality of finish. The gaps for the trunk and rear fenders are a little wide. I'd scuff the mold line off the slicks too. Trademarks on the bottom of the chassis could be removed. Rear taillights?

I've got this model in my stash and will get to it someday. I've heard it's sub par on fitment of some of the parts. If mine turns out as nice as yours, I'll be happy. I'm working on several cars and in a few instances, taking a shortcut was necessary for my sanity. :rolleyes: I'm finding that the near perfection I see in some builds may be above my abilities. Experience will fix that hopefully.

Very nice build!! Very clean and the paint looks great. I agree about removing the trademarks. Something I am trying to get better at myself is to remove mold lines and injector pin marks, there are a couple on the frame that could have been cleaned up. Awesome build, keep up the good work!!!

Looks very nice. If I had to pick I would say remove the lettering on the chassis before painting. Maybe paint the radiator cap silver. Not saying you did anything wrong and this is just one mans opinion.

I actually left the lettering because I thought it would make it look more like a high end die-cast (not sure why i wanted that) and I totally forgot the radiator cap!

Nice job! I love the color and quality of finish. The gaps for the trunk and rear fenders are a little wide. I'd scuff the mold line off the slicks too. Trademarks on the bottom of the chassis could be removed. Rear taillights?

I've got this model in my stash and will get to it someday. I've heard it's sub par on fitment of some of the parts. If mine turns out as nice as yours, I'll be happy. I'm working on several cars and in a few instances, taking a shortcut was necessary for my sanity. :rolleyes: I'm finding that the near perfection I see in some builds may be above my abilities. Experience will fix that hopefully.

It was actually really great except for the rear bumper! thanks looking at the HI-DEF pictures on a large screen I can definetly tell I scored the gaps to deeply.. as for the tires I tried but gave up! trademark was left intentionally and taillights were lost!

Its a nice build, but the black panel lines are cartoony. I think you missed a mold line on the passenger side rear splash pan. That's the obvious things to me you didnt mention. I love the color and other than the flaws you noted the paint looks very nice.

yeah! I went overboard with the wash!! thanks for pointing out that mold line!

Very nice build!! Very clean and the paint looks great. I agree about removing the trademarks. Something I am trying to get better at myself is to remove mold lines and injector pin marks, there are a couple on the frame that could have been cleaned up. Awesome build, keep up the good work!!!

yeah I just noticed them myself after looking at the HI-def pictures!

Nice clean build on that Willy's and great color choice also. Where's the passenger seat? It was required in the "gas class."

this was the stone woods and cook Kit.. It actually didnt come with one. although so was a rear bumper, right :P

Very NICE build Anthony, I think all the critique bases have been covered so I will just say extremely nice paint job, great work!! :D

Thanks!

Looks great!!!! People starting out need encouragement not be put down even people who have built for years still may not be perfect there are some so called experts out there but as my friend cobraman said it one mans opinion no one is perfect build what makes you happy and always try to out do your last kennb will tell you that.Great looking hot rod

Looks great!!!! People starting out need encouragement not be put down even people who have built for years still may not be perfect there are some so called experts out there but as my friend cobraman said it one mans opinion no one is perfect build what makes you happy and always try to out do your last kennb will tell you that.Great looking hot rod

thank you! I actually enjoy the criticism as long as its respectful!

me too started reading more people say what maybe wrong to them, and no offence to anyone. But offer up ideas to help ie.tires seams I made a spindle for my dremel to spin the tire and slowly I do mean slowly remove the seam. I used a bolt 1/4 inch cut/grind shaft down to fit dremel,you do have to leave threads so you can mount tire between 2 washers and lock it with a nut play with it and take your time enjoy. I'll try to make up something to put on the fourm

Edited by b_lever1

love the color, and I think you've done a great job. Only thing I see is that the PE grille should be on the outside; that's why the opening is recessed. I say that, but you know, it doesn't look bad the way you placed it. Again, overall nice work--I'll have to try that paint!

Me Too. That's where I learn the best and possibly remember to do something different next time.

The main points have been said already and I don't have much to add. You said that you liked chrome, which is always great, but in Model car it doesn't work that well in the engine. There is nothing wrong with the engine, but it would look even better with some of the chromed parts painted different shades of silver or flat clear (Which gives a very nice shade of silver).

Not saying that there is something wrong, but it would look even better with those little things. It sure is a nice build with great paint and finishing. Excellent work, and yeah, there was only one seat in the kit (Had to go and check it from my build :D ). Great Work!

I agree with Niko. It's a beautiful build but the chrome on the engine and tank are really shiny. If they were stripped and painted, perhaps with Alclad, and a wash applied to bring out the details in the moldings it would be even more realistic.

yeah, the only things that jumped out at me were the 'backwards' grill mounting and the body seams are a little much...other than that, LOVE IT!! now, on the next build, wire up the motor!!

Yeah I agree in the body seams. I actually thought it would be differemt ti put the grill in the inside. I think u t looks alright.