Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Penultimate Painting Area Thread

There are some workbench threads so why not a paint booth and painting area thread.. I built mine 2 weeks ago since winter is coming around and the garage is pretty dusty and also because I hadn't done any woodworking in some time. It's lightweight and I can take the shelves off to make it easy to move around if I need more space in the basement for something. The upper part fits up into the floor joists and keeps itself upright with the weight of the shelves and everything else. It's pretty stable for the most part considering there are only 2 legs. I wish I was a better engineer of wood projects but I think it turned out alright. Whatd'ya think?

Paint8594-vi.jpg

Paint8596-vi.jpg

So, to give others some ideas and such if they need it how about posting some of your setups??

If I need it I have a fan with a filter and exhaust to the outside. Otherwise I just use a respirator, goggles and a jumpsuit for painting. I use fluorescent lighting, but I'll look into how hot they get and the temps of paint fume ignition. I'm only working with water-based acrylics right now so there hasn't been any concern for ignition quite yet. As long as there is exhaust there shouldn't be much a huge risk of that anyway.

Edit: the lights could always be moved to outside and above of the enclosed area...

Edited by LokisTyro

So this is the penultimate painting area thread. Penultimate means second to last. How do you know there will only be one more painting area thread ever on this board?

That said, nice setup!

Yep. Yep. I don't know that anymore than you know it wont be ;) But how many are necessary? Even if this thread had everything needed in a painting area thread another one would be created anyway. It was named so in anticipation that more would participate and the need for another wouldn't be essential, but again, created anyway. Sounds better than "the painting area thread" too, imo.

And thank you. :)

A vented paint booth was the best thing I ever did to make my hobby more enjoyable. I can even use a spray can in this thing (but it does dirty up the filter faster). Flip a switch for lights and blower, spray some paint, turn everything off, close the door and done. No mask, no respirator, no fumes, no smell. It's nice to walk over, spray a few parts and then go back to assembly.

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

Edited by dmk

A vented paint booth was the best thing I ever did to make my hobby more enjoyable. I can even use a spray can in this thing (but it does dirty up the filter faster). Flip a switch for lights and blower, spray some paint, turn everything off, close the door and done. No mask, no respirator, no fumes, no smell. It's nice to walk over, spray a few parts and then go back to assembly.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said, Dave. My booth is very similar to yours with the exception that I started with a bathroom vanity from Home Depot rather than building the enclosure from scratch. Love the - flip a switch, open door, spray, close door and walk away routine. Fumes in the work area no longer an issue, or even thought about.

Nice looking booth

Thanks Alyn. It was a fun project actually.

I'm in the process of making myself a spray booth (or maybe buying one, still not decided)...What is the advantage of having the fan at the bottom VS the back or top?

The air flow pulls the paint down. Think about how you paint. I tend to hold my airbrush in front of and above the object. If you had the blower on top, it would be pulling the paint up, away from my parts.

An inlet at the rear would probably work OK too, but it could still pull some paint up and away when you had the parts resting at the bottom while painting. Plus for me it was easier to package my blower and filter at the bottom of the cabinet. Under the rack (re-purposed baking racks actually) I have cheap furnace filter and under that a 6" deep plenum with the blower at the bottom.

Edited by dmk

The problem with plastic is when moved or brushed up against , an electrostatic charge is created . Any dirt or fiber is immediately pulled toward it , thus pulling the debris into the booth and onto the paint work. . Better off using Mar lite and building a permanent booth .

The problem with plastic is when moved or brushed up against , an electrostatic charge is created . Any dirt or fiber is immediately pulled toward it , thus pulling the debris into the booth and onto the paint work. . Better off using Mar lite and building a permanent booth .

Some copper wire should to the trick. Seems to work for the dust collection systems used in woodworking as long as the wire is grounded. I know mine hasn't exploded so it must be working. I don't want a permanent booth. I can take this outside and nail it to the side of the barn with little effort if that's what I want to do or throw it in the bonfire one day. It's just a temporary setup that'll be used to spray ink more than anything in the long run.