Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO , which one?

gtx6970

Ok,

I have been thinking about picking up one of these for a future build

question is, which one ?

I don't need a super detailed photo etched nightmare ,,,,,,BUT once completed I want to look into the case and see a Ferrari 250 GTO

It can be a curbside or maybe just a basic platform style kit.

so, which one and why ?

There are really only two choices: the recent release from Revell of Germany or the one from Fujimi. There are older kits out there but they all suffer from all the usual problems of older kits. Both of the new tool kits are pretty excellent and you can't really go wrong with either one. If you don't have a strong preference for one manufacturer over the other, then you should get whichever one you can obtain easily and cheaply. The Revell features opening doors but otherwise is little different from the Fujimi.

I have several of the Fujimi kit because I do have a strong preference for one manufacturer over the other. I find that the Fujimi has much better mold quality; everything is just much crisper and cleaner.

Best of luck with your project.

I have been wanting to build a Ferrari 250 GTO for years. I finally latched onto a Fujimi kit and I think it was a good choice. I got mine from a guy that was selling most of his kits and I got some extras with it. There was a MFH detail set that is way too many tiny parts, a set of improved tires from HRM and an HRM GTO V-12 engine kit.

So far I have looked it over and decided to use some of the photo etched parts, the HRM engine and tires and I bought some KA Models wire wheels. I do believe the kit would build up just fine without all the extras, but since I have them I may as well use them.

I think if I was going to add one item, it would be the PE wire wheels. They just look so good. They are not hard to put together at all, there was a good post on PE wires here on the forum that explained it pretty well. The wheels add a lot to the look of the car sitting on the shelf.

I have not seen the Revell kit but I am more than content with the Fujimi and would prefer not to have opening doors anyway.

I like the Fujimi 250 for several reasons...

1) Lots of nice detail

2) Very precise fit

3) POSITIVE body to chassis mounting

4) Excellent posable wheels

The down side....

The wheel and tire mounting system uses the ubiquitous neoprene collars....

It can be tough to get the wheels on .....

Other than that no issues and a really great kit...

Regards

Bill (Duntov)