Model Cars Magazine Forum

ProStar and Featherlite Transporter

Started work on the ProStar, doing it for a build off at Scale Avenue, plans are to make another race team rig, no driver or team in mind, so its going to be painted boring white . I am going to be starting with the ProStar since the BO last two months, I might start work on the trailer next weekend, just have to get the LHS for the trailers parts( sheet plastic), so lets foucs on the ProStar for now

I will be building another trailer like this one that I built a few years ago
ft2.jpg
A look into the box
IMG_0641_zpsf6850847.jpg
Look at the mock up for the cab
IMG_0633_zps2d2034d8.jpg
Chassis starting to take shape
IMG_0639_zps7a181c6a.jpg
And painted some the front/rear axles in satin black, and the bags in flat black
IMG_0655_zpsbc8fdabe.jpg

Started working on the engine, used Tamyia blue for the block, and Model Master Steel on the tranmission
IMG_0672_zps6ea73b82.jpg
and more work on the chassis
IMG_0681_zpsf5837b75.jpg
IMG_0684_zps53795cb0.jpg
stripped the chrome from fuel tanks and step plates
IMG_0689_zps716ecb68.jpg
and how about a mock up
IMG_0673_zps9081c129.jpg

Jonathan,
This looks great! Can you measure the whee base from the front axle to the middle of the rear duals in millimeters for me? I recently got a kit that will be converted into a day cab straight framed fire tanker. I would appreciate it! Thanks.

David

David, if I measured correctly, its 215.9 mm

Edited by martinfan5

I decided I wanted to get started on the trailer(this way it gets built), I have a feeling if I waited, I wouldnt start it, and this has been my plan since the ProStar kit was announced, so I went to the LHS and bought the pieces to get the frame/floor started.

Coming along nicely, I've got to get one of these, luckily Revell AG have released this kit in there packaging ......

If I am not mistaken, it was released first in the Revell AG boxing before it was released here

Little bit more work on the engine
IMG_0703_zps55a6bce0.jpg
and started working on the trailer, starting with the frame/floor, for the floor, I am using .60 sheet, and I am just using two I-Beams for the frame, not going all out on the frame( I am too lazy for that), just something to attach the wheels/tires to really, and add a little bit of support, dont mind my not so straight cuts
Starting with the rear section of the trailer, cut out for the wheels, I have since the photo, that opening longer
IMG_0690_zps25d64a7e.jpg
I am pretty sure you all know what I-Beams look like, but I still took a pic of them anyways
IMG_0695_zps496d909e.jpg
and I beam and rear half became one
IMG_0698_zps152e63b6.jpg
I have since added the front half and the deck, and started working on the sides (but might be starting over)

Engine is pretty much done, along with the radiator
IMG_0708_zps69d4957a.jpg
IMG_0709_zpse1186658.jpg
IMG_0710_zps5d785cc7.jpg
And a mock up
IMG_0711_zps65fc9cc1.jpg
IMG_0712_zps8f05b69a.jpg

And the tanks and steps in Alcald polished aluminum

IMG_0719_zps6b0965ca.jpg
And more work on the frame/floor, this time
IMG_0705_zps516792e1.jpg
Started working on the sides, this is the rear section, using .20, but not real happy about that, so I may see if some of the other LHS have .30 in stock , so I am sort of at a stand still right
IMG_0714_zpsa2317933.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Let me start with the trailer, as there is not much to show, been going back over my numbers and making adjustments to the floor length, I was way off of being scale 53 feet, so I am now closer to I think 50 scale feet I think, anyways, the sides have been cut, and are one piece
IMG_0846_zps53bcb23f.jpg
On to the truck, body is almost ready for paint, been working on the panel lines
IMG_0860_zps88c993ea.jpg
and the interior is almost done, front seats, dash installed, waiting for the bed to dry and I can button it all up
IMG_0856_zps56c4a155.jpg
IMG_0857_zps86cfa2df.jpg
and wheels/tires on, fuel tanks installed as well
IMG_0859_zps7320cf3f.jpg