Model Cars Magazine Forum

ProStar and Featherlite Transporter

• 3 weeks later...

This build did not die, got set back with having to paint and repaint the cab four times, so let me catch up with what I have done, which is not really , I also had to get a replacement part for the cab.

Working on the rear part of the trailer and the rear doors for the lower level, I need to re cut the doors, they will be movable and will side in behind the panel you see on each side
IMG_1289_zps4c1dea50.jpg
And some work done on the upper level
IMG_1294_zpsd8337cc8.jpg
and some mock ups with the truck
IMG_1285_zpscf01efda.jpg
IMG_1300_zpsb402000f.jpg
IMG_1302_zps79e9ca31.jpg

I didnt have to repaint the hood this last time, so I got the headlights and grill installed
IMG_1556_zpsb1bebb03.jpg
and the cab
IMG_1559_zps3cff06ce.jpg

IMG_1562_zps54ec17ff.jpg
IMG_1570_zpsb3909d49.jpg
IMG_1571_zps93f4d75a.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

And the chrome vinyl I order came today, this is for the trailer , thats 24 inch's long, I paid $7 total with shipping, its 3mils thick, so not good from trim, but perfect for what I need, like flat objects , or simple curves, its has a adhesive backing just like BMF

I am using this for the front of the trailer/generator compartment, and the rear door area

IMG_1572_zpsd7700679.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Getting closer to having the ProStar finished, well enough to make it in time for the BO that I am taking part in
IMG_1578_zpsbe6b37cf.jpg
And here you can see what the chrome is going to look like
IMG_1577_zpsdc9a2ae4.jpg

And almost done
front bumper on
IMG_1580_zpscdbe18ec.jpg
IMG_1581_zps5330f6b7.jpg
here are the decals that are going on the doors
IMG_1584_zps8dd680a0.jpg
And this is it, the final pic for the truck here, I just have a few small things to do
IMG_1587_zps7eb3325a.jpg

That Prostar looks great....Very nicely done.....I can't wait to get started on my own.....Just looking at the instruction sheet, right now, and I can already tell you that I know I'm gonna like this one....And I also know that I'm gonna have to stretch that frame a little, too....Anything in particular I need to watch out for, though???

Edited by kilrathy10

That Prostar looks great....Very nicely done.....I can't wait to get started on my own.....Just looking at the instruction sheet, right now, and I can already tell you that I know I'm gonna like this one....And I also know that I'm gonna have to stretch that frame a little, too....Anything in particular I need to watch out for, though???

Yes, well in my case, some of these could of been builder error, but I had issues with the cab roof, had to get a replacement one, I had fit issues with it, also, the cab mounts, I had trouble getting the to fit in the holes on the cab floor, it did not sit level for me, so watch out there too. I think the side fairings stick out too far, so I ended trimming the piece that they attach to up front, looking at reference pics, they should line up with the tires, and out of box, that stick out past the tires.

Do as much test fitting as possible, other then that, no other issues, I am having hood fit issues and it not fitting tight up against the cab, but I think that is because I adjusted the height of the front cab mounts , like I side, the issues I had could of all been user error

Dude, thanks for the heads up....I will have those things in mind when I get to it....I just pulled it off the shelf, and I think I'm gonna get started, tomorrow....Lord willing....Thanks again, Jon.....

No problem, enjoy building it

Alright, time for a trailer update, this is going to long , 18 pics worth, first up, starting working on some of the small details, made the rear steps and the two ladders for the rear, these are to get up to the viewing platform

IMG_1616_zps47c94239.jpg

Hinged the exterior cargo doors between the axle's

IMG_1617_zpsf8d7fb9e.jpg

But silly me, I forgot to paint the inside black

IMG_1619_zpsa972a3f3.jpg

Getting the exterior painted in its base white coat, can really tell I know

IMG_1627_zps964cca05.jpg

IMG_1629_zps41136227.jpg

IMG_1624_zpsc0a0b75b.jpg

Moving along, the ladders painted, and here you can see where they hitch a ride at, only one is in place for the pic

IMG_1638_zpsd1221b9e.jpg

The access door from for the front part of the upper deck, you get to this from the lower level steps that go up in the lounge area , tape is just holding it in place so I dont lose it, in real life, its a roll up style panel

IMG_1639_zps9b0c155f.jpg

IMG_1640_zpsa1ebfa9e.jpg

While looking at pics, I came across a NASCAR team that chose to hang some of there gas cans from the roof, so forgetting what I seen in the pic, and not remembering how I found that pic, I cut some round stock

IMG_1641_zpse19d146b.jpg

IMG_1642_zps0de0f19b.jpg
IMG_1644_zpsce7dc024.jpg
And the rear area is almost done, not too happy with it, so it will do for now, I still need to make the doors, but I have to come with a new plan , more on that later
IMG_1647_zpsaf7b32b6.jpg
IMG_1645_zps1dc299b7.jpg
And the platform for the viewing area, still need to make the railing for it
IMG_1648_zps4f64a398.jpg

And here you can see the ladders and step in place
IMG_1651_zps76859307.jpg
And the cut out in the roof, this is where some of the A/C units ride around at
IMG_1653_zps9083c680.jpg
And the generator compartment at the front, all chromed up, again, not real happy with it, I may re do it, I am so happy I bought two feet of the chrome stuff
IMG_1656_zps65881a89.jpg

Yes, well in my case, some of these could of been builder error, but I had issues with the cab roof, had to get a replacement one, I had fit issues with it, also, the cab mounts, I had trouble getting the to fit in the holes on the cab floor, it did not sit level for me, so watch out there too. I think the side fairings stick out too far, so I ended trimming the piece that they attach to up front, looking at reference pics, they should line up with the tires, and out of box, that stick out past the tires.

Do as much test fitting as possible, other then that, no other issues, I am having hood fit issues and it not fitting tight up against the cab, but I think that is because I adjusted the height of the front cab mounts , like I side, the issues I had could of all been user error

The truck model world review noted problems with the cab mounts as well as an online review I saw.

Ben

I really did not want to try and paint the stripes on, so with a lot of help from Mark Jones(Scale-Master), he made up the stripes for me so I can do them as decals , its fitting as race teams wrap their trailers instead of paint, anyways, I can not wait to get these on the trailer, this was a test print I did on paper
IMG_1686_zps0c5ee041.jpg

here is what the rear looks like with the place holders for the doors, I am still trying to come up a solution for how I am going to go about making them
IMG_1663_zps8ef85d73.jpg
And made the appearance of a shock dyno
IMG_1666_zpsffabcf7f.jpg
IMG_1664_zps65d71bd0.jpg
And the appearance of the TV/Computer monitor , one of them
IMG_1668_zps5f8a20cb.jpg
Rear doors are done for now, not how I wanted to do them, I wanted to do them with windows, I may go back and try and make them that way.
IMG_1678_zps0d783ed5.jpg
IMG_1679_zpsf0f55c58.jpg