Model Cars Magazine Forum

John Milner's Dragster

Daddyfink

I actually started this one a while back and finally decided to get back on it. I always wanted to build this car and never could get my hands on one until my friend Skip Samples got his hands on the kit and had Joe Curtis at Fremont Resin copy it. The original body in the kit is a two piece affair, like the Ramchargers and Galloping Ghost kits, as it shares the same chassis, that is split down the middle like and aircraft fuselage. He glued them together and then cut he cowl out to make more used friendly. Skip also did up some decals for it using the originals and his own interpretation on them. The results, I must say, are much better than the kit supplied decals. They are simply printed up on an inkjet printer and not an alps, The only thing he did not do, was to print up the white underlays for them, and I did not realize this until I applied them with out giving it much thought! I might have to re-decal the car with some white underlays.

The car is not done yet and I need to get my butt in gear to finish it!! Only some sponsor decals and fuel lines remain to complete the car.

Body, Resin replica by Skip Samples and Fremont Resin with some front panel mods by me to make it more correct.

Chassis, Junker Ramchargers car from the Junk Box

Front Axle. From Tony Nancy Double kit

Rear Tires and Wheels . Tires are Replicas and Miniature vintage Revell and the rims are from the Garlits Wynns Jammer

Engine. Revell 57 Chevy Glue Bomb. This was the only 283 I had laying around.Blower and Hat are Revell Funny Car. Pulleys are Wynns Jammer with a homemade timing cover and pump. Headers are from Tony Nancy kit.

Moon Tank is from same 57 Chevy

Hope I did not bore you too much with details. Hope you like it and all questions and comments are welcome!

20130531_171624_zps8012dae1.jpg

20130531_171708_zpsb43ece87.jpg

20130531_171646_zpsa356b29f.jpg

20130531_171734_zpsd4d34ef7.jpg

20130531_172110_zps14480db0.jpg

Thanks guys, hopefully I will finish this and then start on the Hunt Bros. car. Joe did a pretty nice body for that one too!

Skip wanted to build this car with a 392 Hemi as he felt it would be more period correct, but, I always told him it had to have a SBC! Yeah, he would have busted my stones over this one! LOL!

As an FYI, if anyone else is thinking of doing the SBC, be aware that like a real dragster set up for a HEMI, the chassis is too narrow for a Chevy! I had to grind the block under the heads to make it fit the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, it is almost done! I applied some vintage style decals to the side flanks of the engine. I know the movie car had them along the back of the body work, but, I rarely have ever seen any swoopy body with decals back there. Just a few more details and it will be done. I promise! LOL!

20131016_190955_zps547aed71.jpg

Seeing how the tooling is good from the last issues as a Comp Coupe and the Ramchargers kit, they could just open the gate on the tooling for the swoopy body and issue it as a generic dragster or just leave the body in the kit as a surprise! .

Chuck is making the decals and almost everything else has to be changed out to make it correct.