Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Camaro SS/RS 396

Custom Mike

Another old build from the display case for you to check out. This one is one of my personal favorites, it's Revell's '69 Camaro with rims and tires from their Acura Integra thrown on just to be different. The paint is Dupli-Color's "Mirage" Silver-Green, a really great paint if you can find it still. Engine was wired using a resin distributor from Detail Master and wrapping wire from Radio Shack, and a fuel filter was added, which is a switching diode, also from Radio Shack. The air cleaner snorkel and exhaust were drilled out, and various shades of Metalizer were used under the hood and on the exhaust. This one has been entered in 3 contests, and brought home a 3rd, 2nd, and finally a 1st, so now it will stay in the display case, never to be entered again!

1969Camaroc0002-vi.jpg

1969Camaroc0004-vi.jpg

Camaro0005-vi.jpg

69Camaro014-vi.jpg

Camaro0001-vi.jpg

6_1969Camaroc0001-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

That's one of the nicest 69 Camaros I've ever seen in a forum.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I get weary of the red/orange/bright yellow F-bodies. There's a subtle trend now in real cars toward subtle blended colors and sophisticated suspension work and engines. Your model translates well toward that trend.

Good eye!

Dub, see if you can scare up some of the Dupli-Color Mirage paints at a supplier, AutoZone still has some occasionally. The Purple/Green is by far the best, Silver/Green is a close second, followed by Red/Blue. Avoid the one labeled "Ice", it's just a silver holographic color that doesn't really work well at this scale. They're really easy to get a stunning result with, just use a good sealer, since they're lacquers.

That's one of the nicest 69 Camaros I've ever seen in a forum.

Rick, thank you very much, that's some pretty high praise, I'm not sure I deserve it! This is the first model I've done that I feel came out "clean", even though I've had issues with the BMF in a few spots. Now I want to do one in Hugger Orange just to ruin it for you! ;)