Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/43rd Scale Merc - Fatomic Bomb Updated 11/2/2013

Mooneyzs

Hello All.... Well, while I am in the middle of my Highly detailed 1/16th Scale Army Vega Funny Car I figured I needed another small project going on the side when I need a break from the F/C. I have had this Jimmy Flinstone 1/43rd Merc for a while and been looking forward to building it. I have been toying with a few different ideas for paint and finally decided on a paint scheme for it and the colors. Most of this build will be straight from the kit but I am going to try and add a couple of personal touches to it by adding a little detail to it. I am thinking I am going to try to come up with a custom grille for it as well as try and add some sort of detail to the door panels. I also picked up some Mexican Sombrero hubcaps and white walls for it. I am hoping that this build won't take me too long since there really isn't too much too it. So stay tuned and be patient with me on updates with this. I think this is going to be a fun build. B)

Here is the kit and all of the pieces as well as rims and tires I picked up for this:

14349Merc0021-vi.jpg

Here is a side view of the stance and with the rims that will be used:

14349Merc0131-vi.jpg

Here is the inspiration for this build.... I will be going with House of Kolor True Blue Pearl and House of Kolor Planet Green....

49MercBluewithGreenFlames-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Michael... you know I was thinking earlier when I was looking at the body was that if I could find different head lights to put in. Not really digging the kits headlights plus the fact that mine are some what yellowed. I was thinking about cutting the over hang straight off and putting something else there that would work. Would love to see the MV lens that you are thinking of using for yours. I would almost like to pick up another one of these because I think its a pretty cool kits plus the fact that I am fascinated with some 43rd scale kits. I also wished that it had bench seats for the front and rear seats instead of the buckets and the molded in seats for the rear.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Fellas... Well I was finally able to get a little bench time on this build tonight. Been almost a month since I have been able to do any work. I started messing with some minor interior changes. I am going to be adding a Tuck n Roll interior. I used .040" Evergreen half round for the pleats which is about a 1-3/4" in 1:1 I got the package tray done and hopefully will start on the door panels tomorrow. Here are a couple pics of what was done....

Here is the Package Tray done with the Tuck N Roll:

14349Merc0211-vi.jpg

Here it is with the body on and what will be seen thru the rear window:

14349Merc0241-vi.jpg

wave-vi.gif

Edited by Mooneyzs

Michael... you know I was thinking earlier when I was looking at the body was that if I could find different head lights to put in. Not really digging the kits headlights plus the fact that mine are some what yellowed. I was thinking about cutting the over hang straight off and putting something else there that would work. Would love to see the MV lens that you are thinking of using for yours. I would almost like to pick up another one of these because I think its a pretty cool kits plus the fact that I am fascinated with some 43rd scale kits. I also wished that it had bench seats for the front and rear seats instead of the buckets and the molded in seats for the rear.

Hey Chris sorry for the late response. I'll dig up a pic of my JF 1/43rd Frankenstude. It has the MV lenses on it.

Danno... thanks buddy. It was sure great seeing you yesterday.

Ray... Thanks man. I just needed something quick and easy to build when I could take a break here and there from my funny car

Mike.... Hey no worries on getting back to me sooner. That would be great to see your 1/43rd Frakenstude. when you have time post pics here would love to see the MV lens on it. and if you can remember the size or part number by chance. I know of a rail road shop over in Mesa that sells them and had picked up some really small ones for some lights for a couple of 1/43rd scale Daytona Prototypes that I have.

• 3 years later...

Nice change of pace build in several ways including type of vehicle and the scale.I love JF's wild stuff like this .I've known him for a long time and this type of stuff is really a reflection of his personality.I'l  be watching this build with great interest.Thanks for sharing.