Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 AMT Nova

slusher

It's an odd mix of chassis/interior/body. The body is completely stock and quite nice for the subject; it's the rarely seen hatchback Nova. The chassis is fairly generic, as is the interior tub; what you would find in many of AMT's/ Model King's gasser kits, and I believe you could source a much more realistic chassis from MANY sources, but that's my opinion. This body style has real potential, so I'll be watching to see what you do with it!

Good luck!!

...the roof on this kit is very wrong, making the rear side windows wrong also. The MPC kits were much much better proportioned.

I always thought that this kit was a reissue, (by AMT/Ertl), of an MPC kit; that AMT never did produce their own Nova kit of this mid-1970's era.

Speaking as someone who drove a '79 Nova coupe for many years ,, the roof on this kit is very wrong. making the rear side windows wrong also.

The MPC kits were much much better proportioned.

BTW, all the kits of this generation Nova were hatchbacks.

That's strange, I worked in an auto recycling yard & not a one of the "76 - "79 Nova's in the yard were hatchbacks, They all had deck lids & a trunk, must've been just a California option. lol

I remember back in the day, my father and I would buy used company cars from his company. He'd drive them home to look over. One was a Nova hatchback like the kit, it was a salesman's car. This had to be maybe 1980-1 and the Nova was so rusty that the hatch mounts were nearly off the car.

I'd love for someone to modify that body into a 4 door sedan. Local towns used those for police cars back then too!