Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 '69 Camaro Monogram

heinz74

this in all honesty isn't the first model i've built..

but before my two large scale models i have been upgrading 1/18 diecast models which are mostly 70's and 80's euro cars

the kind of cars we used to drive over here..

in my teens i've built a lot of 1/24-25 kits..but when motorcycles got my intrest i stopped building

i always wondered how my teenage models would look nowadays..something like what comes out the back of a horse i recon

building large scale is a lot different then the smaller scales..sure there is a lot more detail to be had..but every flaw paintwise or assembly is also magnified..

having been a 1/1 bodyrepair man and mechanic for more than 20 years..i work on them in a way one would do on a real car

in the paint departement..

automotive primer and topcoats sprayed through a small paintgun and normal Duplicolor Acrylic rattlecans...occasionaly i use a Tamiya rattlecan for smaller parts but really they cost way to much and don't like other acrylic paints (cracking)

i never use Enamel paint because i don't like the stuff..it takes forever to really dry,it's allmost impossible to brush on smooth and even then it's way to soft afterwards

gluewise i only use superglue and 2 part epoxy..never modelglue or anything like that..

use Tamiya acrylic paint instead..and keep brushpainting to a minimum..spraying most parts is still much better

the rest of it is just time , patience , online research..and building as clean as possible..if something doesn't go according to plan walk away and leave it be ,try again tomorrow (or next week),don't set impossible goals it;s not 'American HotRod' in which they restore a 32 Ford in 2 weeks..fighting the agony and deadlines

but then again what works for me might not work for you..

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

photo's all gone..

thanxs to Imageshack...

that's a bummer..it still sits in a cabinet here..

and guess what ?,i scored me a real vintage kit of this Z/28 ,still sealed in plastic....

gonna build this ..again with some detail, this time totally stock ..in Hugger orange..with the white stripes..

watch the Big Boys channel ,winter is due..nice to build and fabricate!

69 engine.jpg

69 profile.jpg

69 underside.jpg

Edited by heinz74

Heinz, A wonderful job on your Camaro. Your paint and detail is top notch. I do agree with the Mcg parts they make for a very nice finish. I was able to click on the icon that let me download your picture so you might be able to access them to re post. I did notice that you removed the rear bumper horns after you mentioned it of coarse.Nice touch.

Of coarse there is a few things that you forgot. The thin strip at the rear of the engine before the windshield vents should be a rubber color. And also you have no parking brake cables installed or seat belts. I'm not picking your build apart but it's just that it is so perfect that I had to find something. I also noticed you have 4 wheel disc brakes as well very nice.I really like the gauge package as well. The stripes are very nicely done. It can sure be a challenge to tape them off. If you are planning on doing another one totally stock the strips should end at the top of the wiper vents not at the bottom of the windshield. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of this beauty. Congrats to you my friend. Well done.

Ken.B)