Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Factory Hiro AC A98 Coupe teaser

Wow, never figured I'd see this one come to life! After reading an article on the car in one of my Motor Trend Classic magazines, I thought it would be an interesting basis for a model. Seeing that MFH makes a bunch of Cobras, I thought I'd give it a shot and sent them an email in December, 2011. I forgot all about it, but today saw this little teaser shot on their website:

43_cobra_1008_005.jpg

A second shot confirmed that it's indeed the AC A98 Coupe! It does say something about a "Lightweight Series," not sure if that means it'll all be resin, or curbside, or what. If it's the latter, I wonder if it could mate with an AMT 289 Cobra for the innards.

Link to MFH's site

Link to info on the car

Edited by GirchyGirchy

• 1 year later...

Len, per Rinsey Mills it was painted "the British Racing Green shade favored by AC and Aston Martin".  AC98 was built on a standard leaf spring chassis if you care to add any addtitional detail.

Edited by afx

I think the closest you'll get is a colour called "California Sage". It's not currrently in the Aston martin palette, but it was until 2010. Code should be Aston Martin 1338.

http://outrageousvehicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2009-Aston-Martin-DB9-Volante_1.jpg

IMG00194-20111216-1343.jpg

bestest,

M.

I'm officially giving up on trying to post pictures. Nothing I try works. This "upgrade" has been DREADFUL.

Edited by Matt Bacon

The Aston Cal Sage shade is not at all close - too much olive.  I got info on the correct mix from the owner of the A98, but it is for English systems - working on converting to a US mix.  I got a bunch of pics of the car at Goodwood a few years ago - MFH did a really good job, except for the wheels.  They should have included Halibrands like in the Revell Cobra - they were coated with Dow #7 gold.  The Revell wheels are too small for the MFH rubber, but I have not had time to mix and match wheels yet.

The Zero Paint sample looks close.

This has been a holy grail of mine for years.

Steve D.

I think the closest you'll get is a colour called "California Sage". It's not currrently in the Aston martin palette, but it was until 2010. Code should be Aston Martin 1338.

http://outrageousvehicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2009-Aston-Martin-DB9-Volante_1.jpg

IMG00194-20111216-1343.jpg

bestest,

M.

I'm officially giving up on trying to post pictures. Nothing I try works. This "upgrade" has been DREADFUL.

2009-Aston-Martin-DB9-Volante_1.jpg

• 3 months later...

Any updates on you color codes for this green? I was told 67 Chevelle Mountain Green was a good match.

The Aston Cal Sage shade is not at all close - too much olive.  I got info on the correct mix from the owner of the A98, but it is for English systems - working on converting to a US mix.  I got a bunch of pics of the car at Goodwood a few years ago - MFH did a really good job, except for the wheels.  They should have included Halibrands like in the Revell Cobra - they were coated with Dow #7 gold.  The Revell wheels are too small for the MFH rubber, but I have not had time to mix and match wheels yet.

The Zero Paint sample looks close.

This has been a holy grail of mine for years.

Steve D.