Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Fury from kit to finished in 5 Hours

Porscheman

Thank you again everyone!!! I added BMF to the door handles and I'm waiting for more Detailer for the wash. Carl and I both suffer from MS and we continue to build. It keeps us going and all the praises from all the members here shows we can overcome our disabilities.

Al

Thanks one more time guys. I just picked up a mint 71 Vega and as soon as I figure out what color, I think I can break that 5 hours. Taking your time building is the great thing about this hobby, but doing research during a quick build is a real challenge.

Al

I'm with the guys who couldn't pull of a build like that in 5 weeks, nevermind 5 hours...although I may have to try it one day just for the heck of it.

Gary Kulchock and a group on Facebook do a 24 hour build every February. Some groups get together and do it as a party. Others like me, are solo at home. It runs from noon on a Saturday until noon on Sunday. I learned an awful lot during the build this year! And it's helped me be a better, quicker builder. Try it!

And it's helped me be a better, quicker builder. Try it!

Building faster is building better? I have to disagree. Or to be more precise, I don't get it.

I understand Al's reason, but for anyone without a physical disability, how is the time spent on a model any indication of anything? Shouldn't the goal be to build the best model you can build, regardless of how much time it takes? I can't imagine trying to build a model as fast as I possibly can for no other reason than to try and "beat the clock" somehow.

I mean, it's like buying a new book and then timing yourself to see how fast you can read it. Or going to a nice restaurant and seeing how fast you can scarf down your food.

What's the point??? :blink:

Building faster is building better? I have to disagree. Or to be more precise, I don't get it.

With

What's the point??? :blink:

the 24 hr build was just fun to do. Take a kit that is surplus, not a complex one, that you always wanted to build. And go at it like a sixth grader.

I built the Revell Miss Deal Studebaker funny car kit, that for some reason, Fotki won't let me access the photos of. The irony is that I did finish it in the allotted time and the quality isn't much worse than my painfully long builds.

What I did learn was to build more systematically. With this build I was forced to prep and prime the entire set of parts at one time. Then parts were organized by color and sprayed. I didn't deviate from the plan, nor did I stop to rethink anything or scratch build little parts. I didn't hesitate to do steps I usually would procrastinate on. I just plowed forward.

It actually went pretty quick. In my normal life, I'm not that efficient. I tend to start with one assembly, prep, prime, paint and assemble. Then I go on and do the same with the next area. Not that effective. So while I still will pause for artistic license and change my plan as I go along, I am a bit more systematic as I build. And that's pragmatic and a good thing. Another learned skill!

Edited by Tom Geiger